Thai Health Ministry Urges Drinkers To Avoid Floodwaters

webfact

Drinkers warned of drowning in floodwater

BANGKOK, 24 September 2012 (NNT) – Amidst the current flooding, Deputy Minister of Public Health Dr. Surawit Khonsomboon has revealed the danger of being intoxicated while staying in the water, saying the act can lead to death from drowning.

According to Dr. Surawit, alcohol consumption results in the expansion of blood vessels, causing the body to lose heat and the body temperature to drop. The occurrence, he explained, will lead to leg cramps, or worse, a body shutdown.

Therefore, the Deputy Minister encouraged all consumers of alcoholic beverages in flood-affected areas to refrain from drinking near waterways as they would not be able to help themselves and could drown if they fell into the water.

Regarding the flood disaster, medical units have been dispatched to help flood victims in Chachoengsao and Nakhon Nayok provinces, where the runoff is expected to arrive in a few days. In Prachin Buri, the emergency unit has already relocated 30 people with chronic diseases from their heavily-flooded homes in Kabin Buri district to the hospital.

Three people, one soldier and two children, were rescued from a strong torrent using ropes in Sa Kaeo province. People are encouraged to call the emergency line 1669 to get help when it is needed.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-24 footer_n.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The doctor should instead recommend abstinence from alcohol as it is one of the most harmful recreational drugs. Here are results of two separate studies to back this up:

The only time I could get across the road near my home without being killed by cars, trucks, motorcycles and anything else that moves, was when it was flooded and I could just quietly wade through chest deep water. The occasional snake swimming along was more than enough to sober me up and keep me from dallying about in the water for too long.

• Like 1

Nanny state advice? Also please take your umbrella when it rains...

Don't insult anyone's nanny.

Feeling grumpy today? Or left the heart somewhere?

Well neexing to be told that getting pissed and falling over in water is dangerous, he may as well warn people about running down stairs.

Most people died last year from electrocution right?

Edited by Thai at Heart