Authentic Vietnamese Restaurant With Reasonable Prices.

tangcoral

• 4 months later...

Finally I got the chance to taste the upstairs restaurant "my vietnamese food" and though I can understand how one may like that one but I'm still sticking with the downstairs on "Saigon Oi"

As I had suspected the "my vietnamese" is tailored to thai taste, infact most of the vietnamese restaurant are influenced by Laos-Vietnamese and even Issan-vietnamese.

However Saigon Oi is straight from ho chi minh city formerly known as Saigon. Take for example, the noodle used in "my vietnamese" can normally be found in thailand but take a look at the noodle from "saigon oi" it is almost identical to the ones found in southern vietnam.

Born in raised in Garden Grove, CA (largest viet population outside of Vietnam) I can concur that the style of food at "saigon oi" is more authentic. I have met a few vietnamese immigrants (from southern vietnam) has agreed with me

Now thats not to say authentic always taste better, but the select few that are looking for authentic saigon oi is the place.

I'm not gonna argue which taste better as our taste buds are all slightly different.

So each to their own but I highly suggest trying both places if your vietnamese food is your thing and decide for yourself. smile.png

Seesip, I agree the kitchen can be slow at times.

I have to say I agree the the pork and pate banh mi is a very tasty dish at Saigon Oi!!! Small yes -- I order two!

I just discovered Pho Vieng behind Wawee Coffee Shop on Walking Street. It opens at 12:00pm and is very tasty --- nice outside garden setting and very inexpensive.

Your being from Garden Grove --- you must be familiar with Lee's Sandwiches. I do miss them. I have driven for a lunch time banh mi treat from Long Beach many times!

The Le Gong Kum Vietnamese Restaurant, located at the end of Soi Jannsaap, is the best Vietnamese restaurant I have eaten at in Chiang Mai. Soi Jannsaap is on Huay Kaew Road, a half a block down from Hillside Condotel 4, going towards Nimamhiemin Road. The quality is very good, clean, and inexpensive.

agree there quite, and good atmosphere,just dont start the birds off,especially the talkitive one as you go in.