D S I Probes Accuracy Of Truth For Reconciliation Commission Of Thailand Report On Deaths

webfact

DSI probes accuracy of TRCT report on deaths

Piyanut Tumnukasetchai

The Nation

30191043-01_big.jpg

Panitan Wattanayagorn, left, former deputy secretarygeneral to former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, testifies at the Department of Special Investigation over matters relating to the political violence in mid2010. Picture by Uthorn Sriphantha

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation is examining the final report by the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand (TRCT) on the deaths and other

The DSI questioned Panitan Wattanayagorn, former secretary and spokesman for what was then the government of prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, because Panitan was involved in meetings with the now-defunct Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES).

The DSI said it needed more time to scrutinise all of the 92 fatalities and many investigations were still ongoing.

The DSI deputy chief said it might also ask TRCT chairman Kanit na Nakorn to answer some questions and check how reliable the report was.

Tomorrow, the DSI will ask Pol General Voraphong Chiewpreecha to appear for questions, as he was the chief of the metropolitan police in 2010.

On Friday, former Senate Speaker Prasopsook Boondej will be questioned.

Panitan told the media before the meeting with the DSI yesterday that there was no intention by the Abhisit government to cause death or injury but the aim was to restore order. He stressed that due procedure was observed in the dispersal of the red shirts and that documents were still kept at the office of the secretary to the prime minister and could be perused.

Panitan also questioned whether the DSI had been pressured by the present government.

Appointed Senator Kamnoon Sithisaman said that although the TRCT had been appointed by the Abhisit government, the current government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had accepted its legitimacy and it was government policy to follow recommendations of the commission. The government had earlier followed up on suggestions such as paying compensation to people affected by the violence.

He said the government must present the report to Parliament regardless of whether it planned to follow its suggestions.

Another appointed senator, Wicharn Sirichai-akawat, called on the government to heed the TRCT. He said that if the government was not biased and exercised its conscience, it would follow the commission's recommendations and bring about national reconciliation.

Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said the DSI should stop playing political games and bring out the truth on who were the so-called men in black involved in the 2010 riots.

Democrat legal adviser Ramet Rattanachaweng urged DSI secretary-general Tarit Pengdith to think twice about taking criminal action against Abhisit over the death of a taxi driver believed to have been shot by Thai troops.

"You have options whether you want to retire happily or unhappily. Do not blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right, otherwise your organisation could face demise and your [credibility will be bankrupt]," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-25

So now the DSI gets to investigate the TRCT who investigated the CRES. More round-about rubbish and waste of resources. It will all be lost in the investigations of investigators and there will be NO resolution - ever! w00t.gif

"lost in the investigations of investigators and there will be NO resolution - ever!"

Yep. Just as Thaksin wants it; confusion. Propaganda doesn't work when you can proof the opposite.

• Like 1

An appointed senator asking (telling) an elected government to follow the recommendations of a report that is made by yellow shirts and by an putsch appointed government is like Idi Amin explaining to his football team that swimming with the crocodiles is a good training exercise. Purge all the appointed senators, they have no place in a modern society.

An appointed senator asking (telling) an elected government to follow the recommendations of a report that is made by yellow shirts and by an putsch appointed government is like Idi Amin explaining to his football team that swimming with the crocodiles is a good training exercise. Purge all the appointed senators, they have no place in a modern society.

What did they say, specifically, that prompts so much vitriol from you?

Democrat legal adviser Ramet Rattanachaweng urged DSI secretary-general Tarit Pengdith to think twice about taking criminal action against Abhisit over the death of a taxi driver believed to have been shot by Thai troops.

"You have options whether you want to retire happily or unhappily. Do not blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right, otherwise your organisation could face demise and your [credibility will be bankrupt]," he said.

Interesting choice of words from the "democrat" legal advisor. Now to me that sounds like a threat from people outside of the political arena. That wonderful idiom comes to mind , "The Great and the Good".

So you are saying that all of Yingluck's appointee's are neutral law abiding and honourable people with merit!!!

Do me a favour!!!

If they are a friend of Thaksin or herself, are family members or police school buddies of Thaksin or are prepared to dedicate their lives to gaining his amnesty then they are worthy of being appointed to whatever ministry they fancy (or can make the most money from)!!!

Can you spot the difference between the worthiness of this appointed Senator (he is intelligent for a start) and Shinawatra's cronies?? A word of advice, before you decide to reply (questionable as to whether you dare) take your blinkers off and engage your brain.

Watching this government perform is the funniest entertainment around!!! They become zanier every day.

Interesting choice of words from the "democrat" legal advisor. Now to me that sounds like a threat from people outside of the political arena. That wonderful idiom comes to mind , "The Great and the Good".

I think "Do not blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right" is a more relevant quote for the DSI chief to take note of.

So now the DSI gets to investigate the TRCT who investigated the CRES. More round-about rubbish and waste of resources. It will all be lost in the investigations of investigators and there will be NO resolution - ever! w00t.gif

"lost in the investigations of investigators and there will be NO resolution - ever!"

Yep. Just as Thaksin wants it; confusion. Propaganda doesn't work when you can proof the opposite.

Like Churchill used to say.......... "If you can't convince, confuse."

BTW, who will investigate the DSI?

I think "Do not blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right" is a more relevant quote for the DSI chief to take note of.

Do you know that he is ignoring what is right or is he just doing his job? Did you have a problem with him when he was trying to revoke bail for the red shirt leaders or seeking new arrest warrants for the red shirt leaders when the emergency decree ran out or was he just doing his job then as well?

Do you know that he is ignoring what is right or is he just doing his job? Did you have a problem with him when he was trying to revoke bail for the red shirt leaders or seeking new arrest warrants for the red shirt leaders when the emergency decree ran out or was he just doing his job then as well?

I just think it's a more relevant quote. Do you think it is wrong?

Depends on the result of their investigation. If it supports the red shirts, then no one. If it doesn't support the red shirts, then an "independent committee".

You seem to be remarkably informed about the inner workings of the DSI. I don't suppose you've got anything to back up your musings on the DSI?

By the way, the real answer is the Ministry of Justice.

I just think it's a more relevant quote. Do you think it is wrong?

More relevant quote? More relevant than a threat? Sorry, for a DSI to be threatened, thats pretty serious enough.

As for your question - you ignore my question and yet ask more of your own. Sorry, doesn't work that way with me.

I didn't answer the questions because they weren't relevant to my statement. I didn't say anything about whether he was doing his job or not.

In this country too many officials just serve the politicians and "what is right" get's thrown out the window.

• Like 1

So you are saying that all of Yingluck's appointee's are neutral law abiding and honourable people with merit!!!

<snip>

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png Yes, Yes! That's exactly what he said!!!

Depends on the result of their investigation. If it supports the red shirts, then no one. If it doesn't support the red shirts, then an "independent committee".

You seem to be remarkably informed about the inner workings of the DSI. I don't suppose you've got anything to back up your musings on the DSI?

Well, you seem remarkably ill-informed about the workings of the DSI. This organisation is told what to investigate by the MoJ - and it's pliable head is just following those orders: i.e. pin all blame on the previous government.

The TRCT has produced the fairest & most credible report on the events leading to the deaths of 90+ people in 2010. It's not a perfect report but is unacceptable to PTP & the red shirts because they might have to share the blame.

• Like 1

DSI is a department full of jokers.

DSI Tarit is unreliable and biased to say the least. When AV was in power he was chasing mib and Red leaders, now he is chasing AV and Suthep.

Next time do your homework first before you make yourself look like a fool on TV.

Edited by Nickymaster

I didn't answer the questions because they weren't relevant to my statement. I didn't say anything about whether he was doing his job or not.

In this country too many officials just serve the politicians and "what is right" get's thrown out the window.

The quote you think is more relevant:

"Do not blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right"

By the issue of the threat from the "democrat" "legal" "advisor" he is implying that Tharit
is
"blindly serving politicians and ignoring what is right". So in the light of that relevation how can my question

Did you have a problem with him when he was trying to revoke bail for the red shirt leaders or seeking new arrest warrants for the red shirt leaders when the emergency decree ran out or was he just doing his job then as well?

be irrelevant? Was he blindly serving politicians then and ignoring what is right?

It appears to me you want it both ways.

Well, you seem remarkably ill-informed about the workings of the DSI. This organisation is told what to investigate by the MoJ - and it's pliable head is just following those orders: i.e. pin all blame on the previous government.

The TRCT has produced the fairest & most credible report on the events leading to the deaths of 90+ people in 2010. It's not a perfect report but is unacceptable to PTP & the red shirts because they might have to share the blame.

Presumably the same Ministry of Justice that set unaffordable bail for the majority of red shirt followers who spent approximately two years in prison in some cases longer than their sentences to get out? Very much supporters of the UDD, the MoJ, always have been.

I take it you've read the full 255 odd pages in Thai to come up with your assertation that the report has produced the "fairest and most credible report" or do you think you might just have read that precis somewhere? Just a thought.

Presumably the same Ministry of Justice that set unaffordable bail for the majority of red shirt followers who spent approximately two years in prison in some cases longer than their sentences to get out? Very much supporters of the UDD, the MoJ, always have been.

I take it you've read the full 255 odd pages in Thai to come up with your assertation that the report has produced the "fairest and most credible report" or do you think you might just have read that precis somewhere? Just a thought.

"I take it you've read the full 255 odd pages in Thai to come up with your assertation that the report has produced the "fairest and most credible report" or do you think you might just have read that precis somewhere? Just a thought."

This lady seems to like it.

http://www.un.org/ap...Cr=Thailand=

She might be biased in your eyes because she doesn't wear red glassescoffee1.gif .

Edited by Nickymaster

DSI Tarit is unreliable and biased to say the least. When AV was in power he was chasing mib and Red leaders, now he is chasing AV and Suthep.

Next time do your homework first before you make yourself look like a fool on TV.

Ah, my first insult. Deeply appreciated especially from one such as yourself.

Ah, my first insult. Deeply appreciated especially from one such as yourself.

Insult? Just helping by giving advice.

Edited by Nickymaster

^^

TheKrayTriplet

I have no idea what the relevance of your comments about bail for red-shirts is to the topic. I don't believe your assertion either.

My opinion on the TRCT is based on (1) the number of people & organisations inside & outside Thailand that have made the same assertion; (2) a brief reading of the report; & (3) the fact that PTP & the red-shirts can't accept it.

Have you read the report?

i love the how the DSI is suddenly the subject of ridicule among ye, was there this ridicule back in 2010 post protests? was there.....heck.

that's just a guess though.

^^

TheKrayTriplet

I have no idea what the relevance of your comments about bail for red-shirts is to the topic. I don't believe your assertion either.

My opinion on the TRCT is based on (1) the number of people & organisations inside & outside Thailand that have made the same assertion; (2) a brief reading of the report; & (3) the fact that PTP & the red-shirts can't accept it.

Have you read the report?

No, I don't read thai. I have read several english language reports that basically lean to the fact that it is a toothless bland document. Perhaps after your brief reading of all 255 odd (I'm sure I read 356 pages somewhere) pages you could point out some areas where it obviously stands out as one of the fairest and credible (in whose eyes one wonders) reviews of the events of 2010. And of course where you feel it was imperfect for balance of course. Perhaps you could tell me what it has to say on army snipers for example?

i love the how the DSI is suddenly the subject of ridicule among ye, was there this ridicule back in 2010 post protests? was there.....heck.

that's just a guess though.

Who is ridiculing him? I just think it's a good quote.

ah, playing dumb i see.... saying or hinting (or whatever word i can use there without you twisting and derailing what we are talking about) that they blindly serve politicians and ignore what is right, is ridicule.

just pointing out the hypocrisy of some posters who wouldn't have a bad word to say about the DSI post protest in 2010, but now with PTP in power it's different.

do you think that an unfair statement?