Thaksin Defends Controversial Rice-Pledging Programme

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it would seem we have some new members here in regards to the Thaksin controlled Government.

I will help you understand it better. Thaksin has made phone calls in to the cabinet meetings. They are on his payroll and that is the way he rules Thailand. He claimed his sister was a clone so when she said some thing people would realize it was him.

Interesting to see if they can keep the rice usable long enough for it to become a reasonable purchase to other counties. What is the shelf life of rice.

As for the charges being politically motivated so what. He was still guilty of the crime. How can any one condone a crime if a person is just prosecuted for it for political reasons. Think of what one could get away with.

I am extremely interested to here Yingluck's response to all this. I thought she was actually trying to stand on her own two feet. Now is a perfect opportunity to show her self for what she really is. A leader or a mouth piece for a convicted criminal

my spell check said Yingluck's was wrong it said it is Suckling's.cheesy.gif No lie and yes I might have misspelled it.

Those rice farmers in the NE area where I live work very very hard for bare subsistence. Anything to help them other than hoping daughter marries a farang is great in my book. Where would Thailand be without the rice farmer...who will grow up to be one? Thaksin is not relevant to this truth. Like everyone else I am surprised he is talking and getting printed. Can't call him stupid..just getting old and not pertinent.

Well it would seem we have some new members here in regards to the Thaksin controlled Government.

I will help you understand it better. Thaksin has made phone calls in to the cabinet meetings. They are on his payroll and that is the way he rules Thailand. He claimed his sister was a clone so when she said some thing people would realize it was him.

Interesting to see if they can keep the rice usable long enough for it to become a reasonable purchase to other counties. What is the shelf life of rice.

As for the charges being politically motivated so what. He was still guilty of the crime. How can any one condone a crime if a person is just prosecuted for it for political reasons. Think of what one could get away with.

I am extremely interested to here Yingluck's response to all this. I thought she was actually trying to stand on her own two feet. Now is a perfect opportunity to show her self for what she really is. A leader or a mouth piece for a convicted criminal

my spell check said Yingluck's was wrong it said it is Suckling's.cheesy.gif No lie and yes I might have misspelled it.

In perfect condition rice can keep indefinitely. Here 10 percent per year at least

Edited by Thai at Heart

This scheme has gone over well with the farmers in the Wangthongdaeng district of Sukhothai Province. Previously, they got around 3,750-5,000 baht/tonne of rice. Under this new programme, they are receiving 13,500-15,000 baht per tonne. Some farmers who produce 3 crops of rice per year are making over a million baht per year.

Consequently, this area has become pro-government after being anti-Thaksin in the past.

Furthermore, about 75% of the farmers in this area are building new houses.

Finally, the farmers are getting a fair price for their work. The government is also making money as rice crops in India and the United States are low this year.

This programme will boost the popularity of the Yingluck government in rural areas. However, I do not know if it is as successful throughout Thailand as it is in Wangthongdaeng.

Edited by metisdead
: Font fixed.
  • Like 2

Those rice farmers in the NE area where I live work very very hard for bare subsistence. Anything to help them other than hoping daughter marries a farang is great in my book. Where would Thailand be without the rice farmer...who will grow up to be one? Thaksin is not relevant to this truth. Like everyone else I am surprised he is talking and getting printed. Can't call him stupid..just getting old and not pertinent.

What would be good is if the millers and middle men didn't syphon off the money meant for the farmers. THEN it would be a good scheme.

• Like 1

What would be good is if the millers and middle men didn't syphon off the money meant for the farmers. THEN it would be a good scheme.

Does anyone know what price below the pledge price the farmers are actually receiving?

Does anyone know what price below the pledge price the farmers are actually receiving?

There was a number bandied about of what percentage the farmers received from the rice pledging during Thaksin's time, but I can't remember off hand.

Sent from my HTC phone.

You miss the point. If you are working your butt off and not making a decent living, you are in the wrong job. And subsidising your lousy occupation just encourages you to stick it out in the vain hope that things will get better.

Where would Thailand be without the rice farmer? If the workforce were employed in more productive labour and cheaper rice rice was imported from Cambodia, they would be a dam_n sight better off. Or if you prefer, 90% of rice farmers handed over their land to the other 10% who could farm broad-acre, mechanised and efficiently. But there's no votes to be bought in that, is there?

There was a number bandied about of what percentage the farmers received from the rice pledging during Thaksin's time, but I can't remember off hand.

Sent from my HTC phone.

As I recall, 37%. The rest went to millers and corruption.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Well we sit here saying it's a con its a ripoff. If they get 17k against 20k or 12k against 15 versus 5 or 6 it's a very significant difference. Until we hear the real numbers either from conversation or the govt the discussion is moot.

I don't know the yield either from paddy to export which has to be a massive driver of cost, so to dismiss this system as neither providing the farmers with more and costing the country bazzillions is pure speculation.

Maybe the farmer doubled his incone?

Well we sit here saying it's a con its a ripoff. If they get 17k against 20k or 12k against 15 versus 5 or 6 it's a very significant difference. Until we hear the real numbers either from conversation or the govt the discussion is moot.

I don't know the yield either from paddy to export which has to be a massive driver of cost, so to dismiss this system as neither providing the farmers with more and costing the country bazzillions is pure speculation.

Maybe the farmer doubled his income? So bloody what when his extra income is other Thais' tax money that THEY would prefer was spent on infrastructure and services.

Maybe the farmer doubled his income? So bloody what when his extra income is other Thais' tax money that THEY would prefer was spent on infrastructure and services.

Well at least that is a better discussion than saying it all ended up in the hands of the broker.

There is a positive effect to paying the poorest in terms of multipler. But so far it seems no one has an uncle who planted any rice this year. Subsidy is still being paid in the us and EU to the detriment of millions in developing countries. So i will reserve my judgement until i see rice farmers protesting in Bangkok or some hard figures on prices paid to farmers.

• Like 1

http://asiancorrespondent.com/77863/has-the-rice-pledging-scheme-cost-300-billion-baht/

There is a lot of good info here, I mean a lot, and it is several parts.

But to answer your question, as I read it all. The price most farmers get is 9000 to 11700 baht per ton, there are many variables however. Moisture and weight being there two most apparent. Many farmers complain the approved Milllers scales are not accurate, or manipulated to show higher moisture contents and lower weights.

Another variable is desperation for quick money, The Millers will be happy to pay the farmers on the spot, but for a much reduced price.

So, Thai at Heart it really is an impossible question to precisely answer.

This scheme has gone over well with the farmers in the Wangthongdaeng district of Sukhothai Province. Previously, they got around 3,750-5,000 baht/tonne of rice. Under this new programme, they are receiving 13,500-15,000 baht per tonne. Some farmers who produce 3 crops of rice per year are making over a million baht per year.

Consequently, this area has become pro-government after being anti-Thaksin in the past.

Finally, the farmers are getting a fair price for their work. The government is also making money as rice crops in India and the United States are low this year.

This programme will boost the popularity of the Yingluck government in rural areas. However, I do not know if it is as successful throughout Thailand as it is in Wangthongdaeng.

Where on earth did you get any of this information from?

Where on earth did you get any of this information from?

Writing in pink doesn't make it true any more than if BB says it.

Edited by metisdead
: Font in quoted post reset to default forum font and color.

Maybe the farmer doubled his income?

Farmer income going up by less than 8% is not exactly doubling one's income.

No word on how much the miller's and other's incomes increased...

FPO blames rice pledging scheme for lower rice exports

BANGKOK, 26 September 2012 (NNT) - Director-General of the Fiscal Policy Office (FPO) Somchai Sujjapongse said rice farmers have earned a 7.9% increase in their income since the rice pledging scheme is introduced by this government.

Mr. Somchai said 90% of rice produced in Thailand has been bought by the government under the rice pledging scheme at 12,000 – 13,000 baht per ton. The scheme, he added, has raised the buying price by as much as 23.3%, from 9,000 baht per ton previously.

In its study, the FPO also discovered that rice farmers, who participated in the scheme, have earned higher incomes by almost 8% while those not entitled to the scheme have made a slight increase of 1.5% in their income.

However, the Director-General said Thai rice exports are losing their competitiveness in the world market due to higher export prices.

Currently, Thai rice is sold at at 585 US dollars per ton while that of Vietnam is sold at 458 dollars/ton.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-26 footer_n.gif

Maybe the farmer doubled his income?

Farmer income going up by less than 8% is not exactly doubling one's income.

No word on how much the miller's and other's incomes increased...

FPO blames rice pledging scheme for lower rice exports

BANGKOK, 26 September 2012 (NNT) - Director-General of the Fiscal Policy Office (FPO) Somchai Sujjapongse said rice farmers have earned a 7.9% increase in their income since the rice pledging scheme is introduced by this government.

Mr. Somchai said 90% of rice produced in Thailand has been bought by the government under the rice pledging scheme at 12,000 – 13,000 baht per ton. The scheme, he added, has raised the buying price by as much as 23.3%, from 9,000 baht per ton previously.

In its study, the FPO also discovered that rice farmers, who participated in the scheme, have earned higher incomes by almost 8% while those not entitled to the scheme have made a slight increase of 1.5% in their income.

However, the Director-General said Thai rice exports are losing their competitiveness in the world market due to higher export prices.

Currently, Thai rice is sold at at 585 US dollars per ton while that of Vietnam is sold at 458 dollars/ton.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-26 footer_n.gif

Inputs must have gone up quite considerably, although hired labour costs have obviously rocketed up. Anyway, at least we have a number now.

Anyway, 13,000 (433 USD) a tonne for paddy, processed, yield reduced for moisture and losses, and export at 585. And of course, that number of 585, isn't for hom mali which is higher, but bought at a higher price so, it is very difficult to work out. But I seem to remember that the yield is only 70 from padi to dry? so, 433, up 30, is not a pretty number financially.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• 3 weeks later...

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv:

Korn describes rice pledging as worst government policy ever.

"For every 100bt, only 30bt reaches farmers"

http://nationmultimedia.com/

And of those farmers what percentage are the poor farmers they harp so much about and what percentage are well to do landlords or agricultural corporations?

Independent of the percentage of poor farmers getting some extra money, 70% not reaching farmers means spending THB 400 billion to get 120 to farmers. THB 280 billion lost in translation ermm.gif

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv:

Did he go on to explain the billions that went to the fertiliser manufacturers and did not increase the farmer profit one baht, but just maintained the same low margins......he should know plenty about this democrat methodology...yes?

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv: Korn describes rice pledging as worst government policy ever.

most of the 70% probably goes to unscrupulous middle men, millers, politicians, pu yai ban. I've met the rice millers in my region of northern Thailand, and all are Chinese-Thai. Thaksin is Chinese-Thai, and probably buddies with many of them.

Interesting that the top 3 topics in this category all have Thaksin's name in their title. He's maintaining his name and mug shot squarely on the front pages of all Thai newspapers. That's what he wants. It's like Hollywood: "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv: Korn describes rice pledging as worst government policy ever.

most of the 70% probably goes to unscrupulous middle men, millers, politicians, pu yai ban. I've met the rice millers in my region of northern Thailand, and all are Chinese-Thai. Thaksin is Chinese-Thai, and probably buddies with many of them.

Interesting that the top 3 topics in this category all have Thaksin's name in their title. He's maintaining his name and mug shot squarely on the front pages of all Thai newspapers. That's what he wants. It's like Hollywood: "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

I guess when the rice pledging was not in place there were no Chinese -Thai, and pu yai ban involved, the middle men were taking a smaller profit from the farmers giving them a great rate per kg, and neither of the these were buddies of Thaksin......

An amazing turn around in 12 months of a new government......how many countries can evidence such amazing flexibility in the agricultural sector, truly amazing Thailand.

Edited by 473geo

I guess when the rice pledging was not in place there were no Chinese -Thai, and pu yai ban involved, the middle men were taking a smaller profit from the farmers giving them a great rate per kg, and neither of the these were buddies of Thaksin......

An amazing turn around in 12 months of a new government......how many countries can evidence such amazing flexibility in the agricultural sector, truly amazing Thailand.

Being a direct beneficiary of these subsidies, you should be aware that under the Democrat rice subsidy system, payments were made directly to farmers. the figures weren't as high, but the delivery to the claimed recipients was much more accurate, and without all the negative impacts the pledging scheme is causing. You seem to be deliberately obtuse on this matter.

• Like 1

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv:

Did he go on to explain the billions that went to the fertiliser manufacturers and did not increase the farmer profit one baht, but just maintained the same low margins......he should know plenty about this democrat methodology...yes?

Instead of hitting the "But the Democrats..." key, why don't you try to defend this PTP/Thaksin policy?

• Like 1

tulsathit RT @Phil_kttv:

Instead of hitting the "But the Democrats..." key, why don't you try to defend this PTP/Thaksin policy?

Remember. The government can't reveal how much they have sold and for what price. It is a secret.

They claim that the issue of selling rice is sensitive. whistling.gif

The big question remains, how can anybody defend the scam if the public is kept in the dark?

Come on 473ego, give it a try.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1