Consultancy/project Work In Bangkok - Best Options?

Dazzler

I am a Brit who has worked for multinationals in Bangkok in the past and I now wish to return and work on short term contracts (3 months to 1 year). Initially I will come to Thailand on a Tourist Visa.

I would like to know if the following options are possible:

1. I am offered a contract with a company that operates legally in Thailand. This company provides me with a letter that enables me to obtain a Non-Imm B visa. I then commence working for the company as a Contractor, not an Employee and I am paid in Thailand

2. I set up an offshore company. I provide services on behalf of my company for a company in Thailand having acquired a Non-Imm B visa as above. I invoice on behalf of my company's and payments are made into my company's account overseas.

3. I set up a Rep Office for my UK company. I have heard that this requires significant investment?

Are there any other options?

I have heard that it may be possible that a Non-Imm B visa can be issued in order to go to Thailand to look for work?

Many thanks.

Hi Dazzler, It is possible for you to come to work in Thailand short term, let me address each of your questions.

1. You could work on a contract basis however the Company must assist you in acquiring a Work Permit. It should be noted that when applying for a Non Imm B (Business) Visa as well as a Work Permit in Thailand Company documents must be provided to meet the application requirements. If you get an assurance from the Company that they would help you in the application processes then there should be no issue with accepting the contract from the company. Please note that even you have successfully obtained Non-Immigrant B visa, this does not allow you to legally work in Thailand, but you will need it for the work permit application.

2. Again, as services are carried out in Thailand, you would still need to have a work permit to be able to work in Thailand legally. If this Thai company refuses to help you with both the Non- B visa and your work permit you should consider establishing a “Representative Office” or Regional Office” of your offshore company in Thailand.

3. You could set up a Representative Office in Thailand but it is important to note that the office must not earn revenue in Thailand. It can engage in such activities as

• Sourcing goods or services in Thailand for a Head office.

• Checking the quality and quantity of goods purchased or manufactured in Thailand.

• Giving advice regarding goods sold to agents or consumers

• Information regarding new goods or services.

• Reporting and analyzing activities

And finally 4. We do offer a service where we Sponsor our clients in applying for a Non- B Visa at a Thai Consulate or Embassy abroad. The non-B would allow you to come to Thailand to explore employment and investment opportunities.

Depending on which Embassy or Consulate you make the application at, you would receive either a 90 day Visa or a 1 year Visa. We have found Asian and European consulates and Embassies give the single entry visa.

Please feel free to contact us directly for more information on this visa, setting up a Representative office or applying for a work permit. The initial consultation is free.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]