Bangkok Governor: Giant Tunnel Able To Drain Water In Full Capacity

webfact

Bangkok Governor: Giant tunnel able to drain water in full capacity

BANGKOK, 26 September 2012 (NNT) - Bangkok Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra has reaffirmed that the city’s giant tunnel is able to effective drain water at its full capacity as intended.

During his visit to the giant tunnel on Rama IX and Ramkhamhaeng Roads, M.R. Sukhumbhand said the tunnel takes water the from Lad Phrao and Saen Saeb Canals. The tunnel also helps drain excess water from Bueng Kum, Huai Khwang, Lat Phrao, Wang Thonglang, Bang Kapi, Chatuchak, Min Buri, Bang Sue, Saphan Sung, and Khan Na Yao districts into the Chao Phraya River.

Three out of four water pumps were working during the governor’s visit, and able to drain water at the rate of 45 cubic meters of water per second. All the four pumps will be in full operation in the event of heavy rain.

The governor insisted the tunnel is working in its full capacity, but only one tunnel cannot drain all of the water in Bangkok. He explained that the tunnel was designed for around 50 square kilometers out of the 1,600 square kilometers area of the capital.

M.R. Sukhumbhand added that three more tunnel projects are in the pipeline; they will be constructed at Bang Sue Canal, Nong Bon Swamp, and Don Muang. Once finished, the project will complete the water release system in Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-26 footer_n.gif

I do not understand how a Tunnel can drain water from Bangkok into the sea.

Most of Bangkok is already under Sea Level, thus a Tunnel would be even more under Sea Level, unless they are using very powerful pumps the effect of gravity should surely mean that seawater flows into the Tunnel and, thus, into Bangkok?

Patrick

• Like 1

Most of Bangkok is already under Sea Level, thus a Tunnel would be even more under Sea Level, unless they are using very powerful pumps the effect of gravity should surely mean that seawater flows into the Tunnel and, thus, into Bangkok?

Patrick

It says drains into the river

Patrick

The river drains into the sea - at least at low tide - ergo the river must itself be at an even higher level than the sea?

Patrick

Correct me if i am wrong. They need 32 tunnels total. One is built and three are in progress. The other 28 will areas will remain underwater in a flood...

Not all areas need tunnels, because many areas aren't prone to flooding. In these areas the current drainage system works fine. He also said that this particular tunnel covered 50 sq km. That doesn't mean that every tunnel will be the same size, which is what you seem to be assuming. You analysis is overly simplistic. You obviously don't understand the drainage system of Bangkok.

• Like 1

They wouldn't have helped much last year as the the water level was significantly above ground level and overflowing the banks of the river. Water flooding my village did not come from the river and its klongs, but overland - down the highway to be precise!

To be effective, pumps would then need to be operated all year to reduce water levels, and not just when major flooding is occurring, when it's all too late.

Correct me if i am wrong. They need 32 tunnels total. One is built and three are in progress. The other 28 will areas will remain underwater in a flood...

Not all areas need tunnels, because many areas aren't prone to flooding. In these areas the current drainage system works fine. He also said that this particular tunnel covered 50 sq km. That doesn't mean that every tunnel will be the same size, which is what you seem to be assuming. You analysis is overly simplistic. You obviously don't understand the drainage system of Bangkok.

Nor, does it seem, do any politicians!

It will working until the flow capacity of the Chao Phraya is reached. The flow capacity depends on the tide, and the hight of flood barriers at the river. At last, they must be able, to disconect the canalisation and other conjunctions from the river, that the water not run in a circle. So, the areas around Bangkok will be flooded again, whe the Chao Phraya reaches a dangerous level.

I belief, that only dikes like them in Netherland will solve the problem in a long-term manner. And much more forestry...

But what they doing is over my head...coffee1.gif

I was in the area between Victory Monument and Chatuchak last week during a storm, the water was 4 to 5 inches/100 t0 125mm deep.

Lets wait and see what happens. Although I can't see it being anything near as bad as last year??

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

The 4 pumps pump the water via the tunnel into the river that how it works. Yes they need many more tunnels like this. And yes they need to improve the drainage that gets the water to the tunnels and clear the rubbish and obstructions everywhere. But at the end day when it rains as hard as it has recently for an hour or two it still going to take some time to clear. It is the same problem in any country especially in the tropics in the wet season. Simple fluid dynamics, it not possible to change the fact that Bangkok is 0.5 - 2m above sea level so pumping assistance is essential and with all the buildings and development the runoff is vastly increased, better get building those tunnels quickly as global warming increases.

What about cleaning up the klongs from all the garbage and water- plants and....oh, what do I care!?

What about turning number 4 on?

"All the four pumps will be in full operation in the event of heavy rain"!! What exactly do they call heavy rain then? Did i not read yesterday that this month is the highest in 5 decadeswink.png Broadcasting that figure,don't you think it sounds like a good time to open No4.... "" Open it!!"""w00t.gif

What about cleaning up the klongs from all the garbage and water- plants and....oh, what do I care!?

Agreed! Here in Sai Mai I took an early morning Sunday drive around to look at various klongs and water walls. Doesn't to me look like they have done any maintainence at all on any of the klongs...still look clogged and the one klong close to the airforce that is crowded with slumhouses, which affected how they can maintain the flow, is still crowded with slum houses. Just my area, but these were key areas of overflow last year, so I would think they would have doen something about them....

So there is only one tunnel? I just read 4 articles about flooding in BKK and tunnelS plural with an "S" as if there are more than one. The Bangkok governor himself refers to tunnels (plural) in at least 2 of these articles.

Does anybody really know how many tunnel/tunnels there actually is? I am kind of having my doubts there are any tunnel/tunnels at all.

http://www.thaivisa....um/topic/585644

http://www.thaivisa....um/topic/585652

http://www.thaivisa....um/topic/585898

Edited by dcutman

Yes, that's absolutely right; different areas of Bangkok have different drainage systems and they aren't all tunnels. There is a fascinating blog on Paknam web forum about the drainage canal from the new airport to the sea here, (sorry if I'm not allowed to link to it but) there are lots of pictures of how it works and it's a good example of how diverse the solutions to Bangkok drainage are.

Bangkok Governor: Giant tunnel able to drain water in full capacity

Quote: " The governor insisted the tunnel is working in its full capacity, but only one tunnel cannot drain all of the water in Bangkok. He explained that the tunnel was designed for around 50 square kilometers out of the 1,600 square kilometers area of the capital. " - Unquote.

-------------------------

So, there's a set target of seizure land that won't ever be flooded in BKK. This headline is a load of kak nonsense, with regard to a 'huge' tunnel able to drain water in its full capacity; which we know is in millions of cubic feet per second (The Thai way of measurement!). So, again, where's the 50 sq Km? Wouldn't be the land that Mr T's wife bought, illegally, upon his behalf - would it, could it be?

The governor as quoted said, "Drain water in its full capacity."

I can fill my bath, and the drains are so crap it could take 2 hours for the water to 'drain' in its full capacity.

I wonder in what 'capacity' of brain flood this comment was made. Over-flow?? :P

-mel.

Yes, that's absolutely right; different areas of Bangkok have different drainage systems and they aren't all tunnels. There is a fascinating blog on Paknam web forum about the drainage canal from the new airport to the sea here, (sorry if I'm not allowed to link to it but) there are lots of pictures of how it works and it's a good example of how diverse the solutions to Bangkok drainage are.

Thanks for the link, aussiebebe. It's funny how these projects are not really covered in news stories in The Nation-- or have I missed news of this one? I notice the aqueduct goes over the road-- hence the pumps, I suppose. Gee, I'm wondering how much energy we will employ to move this water through...

Patrick

Stop nit-picking ... can't you see he's reaching out here for a group hug....?!

Sad thing is, he readily admits that the overall effectiveness of this underwater tunnel is 3% of the total needs of the city...!!

Patrick

The river drains into the sea - at least at low tide - ergo the river must itself be at an even higher level than the sea?

Patrick

At the moment, yesss!!!!!

Patrick

What matters with drainage tunnels are the elevations of the respective entry point and exit point plus pump capcatity.

Thanks for the link, aussiebebe. It's funny how these projects are not really covered in news stories in The Nation-- or have I missed news of this one? I notice the aqueduct goes over the road-- hence the pumps, I suppose. Gee, I'm wondering how much energy we will employ to move this water through...

Good news is no news and this good news is another party success.

This system worked well last year keeping new airport dry