Protest At U S Embassy Bangkok

webfact

Protest at US Embassy

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The US Embassy in Thailand today released a security message, warning its citizens of a protest at 10am, tomorrow

Here is the full message:

"The Royal Thai Police has informed the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, that a demonstration involving several hundred people is planned on Wireless Road in front of the Embassy beginning at 10am on Thursday, September 27. Although the demonstration is not expected to be violent, it may cause traffic disruptions in the area. The Embassy will remain open for consular service appointments.

"The US Embassy in Bangkok is not aware at this time of any specific threat to US citizens in Thailand. As a general precaution, the US Embassy advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning.

You should avoid areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations or large gatherings. You should monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information about demonstrations and areas to avoid."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-26

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article did not identify the protestors. I wonder if they are some of the multiple thousands of Thai citizens who have been wrongfully denied an entrance visa to the USA after seeing K. Thaksin was issued a visa which is in violation of US Federal law.

• Like 1

Probably about the stupid video again. Seems there are people who think the President of the US can arbitrarily tell Youtube to stop access to the video. I know there are those who have not read the US constitution. I once asked my university students if they had read their own Thai constitution and most have never read their own so finding those who have even read the first amendment of the US constitution is asking for the blind leading the blind.

I have seen the video and I think it is a very amateur production by amateurs. I wish the video would just go away.

• Like 2

Yeah what a terrible report. Who is protesting and for what? People just causing traffic that have nothing better to do with there time.

Terrible report? Huh? This isn't a news report this is a security advisory from the US embassy in Thailand that was sent out to the mailing list. I received this same email myself. No reporting is being done here. They have information of an upcoming even for Thursday and are taking precaution by alerting their citizens to be vigilant if you need to visit the area.

i guess it's a good thing that its here as we'll then, so that the non us citizens are aware.

Yeah what a terrible report. Who is protesting and for what? People just causing traffic that have nothing better to do with there time.

Terrible report? Huh? This isn't a news report this is a security advisory from the US embassy in Thailand that was sent out to the mailing list. I received this same email myself. No reporting is being done here. They have information of an upcoming even for Thursday and are taking precaution by alerting their citizens to be vigilant if you need to visit the area.

i guess it's a good thing that its here as we'll then, so that the non us citizens are aware.

anyone can sign up for the alerts.. It's a service for citizens but nothing stops non-citizens from signup up.

view alerts to whatever counties you want here

and can signup for the emails here

Edited by Jayman

Probably about the stupid video again. Seems there are people who think the President of the US can arbitrarily tell Youtube to stop access to the video. I know there are those who have not read the US constitution. I once asked my university students if they had read their own Thai constitution and most have never read their own so finding those who have even read the first amendment of the US constitution is asking for the blind leading the blind.

Could it be they don't agree with the US Constitution that allows this kind of freedom of expression (the kind designed specifically to insult others most sacred beliefs for no other purpose than to inflame others). While there are those who see the constitution as some holly scripture written by men with some divine insight nobody is capable of in these times, the truth it is a 200 year old document written for the those times with the ability to be amended and not some divine scripture mean to be worshiped and never altered ... doing so is similar to extreme Muslims view of their ancient writings.

Using an excuse that people shouldn't protest because it is the law in the United States makes no sense at all unless the US took the same view to the laws of other countries.

As a US citizen I have no issues with anyone anywhere protesting anything peacefully. It should be their right as long as they are not breaking any local laws. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the idea that people should not protest because of the free speech laws in the US.

As for the constitution it is a living document that has been admended twenty seven times. Therefore the last statement of your post is totally off base and ridiculous.

• Like 2

Could it be they don't agree with the US Constitution that allows this kind of freedom of expression (the kind designed specifically to insult others most sacred beliefs for no other purpose than to inflame others). While there are those who see the constitution as some holly scripture written by men with some divine insight nobody is capable of in these times, the truth it is a 200 year old document written for the those times with the ability to be amended and not some divine scripture mean to be worshiped and never altered ... doing so is similar to extreme Muslims view of their ancient writings.

Using an excuse that people shouldn't protest because it is the law in the United States makes no sense at all unless the US took the same view to the laws of other countries.

As a US citizen I have no issues with anyone anywhere protesting anything peacefully. It should be their right as long as they are not breaking any local laws. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the idea that people should not protest because of the free speech laws in the US.

As for the constitution it is a living document that has been admended twenty seven times. Therefore the last statement of your post is totally off base and ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is how often people want to disagree just because the lack the ability or desire to comprehend even the most basic of statements.

What is ridiculous is how often people want to disagree just because the lack the ability or desire to comprehend even the most basic of statements.

I rest my case.

Bring popcorn and sodas and a nice comfy chair.

I imagine it is within ones legal rights to attend a protest as an observer, sitting nearby enjoying the events. Maybe we can bring their flags and some paint along too.

Eye for an eye....Wait, that doesn't work. This is the very reason why the world is in the current shape because everyone feels that life is an eye for an eye.

If we step back and think about all this nonsense, and it is truly nonsense to spark global protests over a stupid low rate film, and to turn that into violent rage....well, that is not an eye for an eye.

Perhaps, if someone made a stupid film about another character, then that would be more like a true eye for an eye. But, people need to move on and forgive and forget. We can learn from these freedoms and choose not to produce idiotic films that hurt others.

Freedom is not free. Freedom of speech does not mean we have the moral rights to harm others even if we have the legal rights to say and print and film whatever we want under the constitution.

So, we can begin to heal if all parties agree to halt insulting media against each other and instead, build lasting bonds based on trust, mutual respect and intelligent exchanges.

We are witnessing childish and uneducated behavior on all sides now. Those stupid idiots who produced and released this terrible film and now, these idiots who are burning flags, embassies and harming others on the streets.

I fully support peaceful protests and I hope they will remain peaceful here and perhaps, it will set an example for other places around the world to keep these protests peaceful.

This isn't a very useful advisory because there is a different level of precaution needed depending on who is protesting. Yellow shirts protesting the Thaksin visa or something similar could be safely ignored, with Muslims on the other hand I would rather avoid the area.

Is this what the European school system teaches people? You understand the US constitution has been changed <amended> a couple times. It is a document that supports the ideas of men and freedom. Maybe you should read it one day its a very idealistic document written during the age of revolutions and empire collapse. Its concepts and ideas were not new but to use them as a national charter created one of the greatest countries in history. You can be an American hater but just like penis envy its not our fault that you don't measure up. These Muslims protesting are about equal to a dark ages peasant carrying a pitchfork and torches. Seriously they should just cut off all web access to these counties so they can practice their religion of intolerance. I find it kind of ironic how almost every single Muslim country is nothing more than an oppressive religious state degrading to women and freedom of speech full of citizens that are brainwashed into how they have to live and act based on some dumbass with a microphone at 6am. I think Thailand understands the "Muslim" problem very clearly just look at how many monks and teachers have been killed in the south. These people deserve stick instead of carrot if they want a fight the west should give it to them. Look at the pictures of these protesters they should be protesting for better hygiene and dental product why does your average Muslim protester look like an extra from the a Bob Hope Bing Crosby travel film. One day the women will have a say in all this religious BS and I think that things will change.

You want to talk about inflaming people these asshats are lucky they don't get a good boxing for burning the Ole Stars and Stripes. Just imagine if the US decided to act like a Roman empire, Mongol empire, Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia then you guys would be crying about how unfair things are where the only option is death and destruction not tolerance.

Post of the dayclap2.gif .

• Like 1

Is this what the European school system teaches people? You understand the US constitution has been changed <amended> a couple times. It is a document that supports the ideas of men and freedom. Maybe you should read it one day its a very idealistic document written during the age of revolutions and empire collapse. Its concepts and ideas were not new but to use them as a national charter created one of the greatest countries in history. You can be an American hater but just like penis envy its not our fault that you don't measure up. These Muslims protesting are about equal to a dark ages peasant carrying a pitchfork and torches. Seriously they should just cut off all web access to these counties so they can practice their religion of intolerance. I find it kind of ironic how almost every single Muslim country is nothing more than an oppressive religious state degrading to women and freedom of speech full of citizens that are brainwashed into how they have to live and act based on some dumbass with a microphone at 6am. I think Thailand understands the "Muslim" problem very clearly just look at how many monks and teachers have been killed in the south. These people deserve stick instead of carrot if they want a fight the west should give it to them. Look at the pictures of these protesters they should be protesting for better hygiene and dental product why does your average Muslim protester look like an extra from the a Bob Hope Bing Crosby travel film. One day the women will have a say in all this religious BS and I think that things will change.

You want to talk about inflaming people these asshats are lucky they don't get a good boxing for burning the Ole Stars and Stripes. Just imagine if the US decided to act like a Roman empire, Mongol empire, Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia then you guys would be crying about how unfair things are where the only option is death and destruction not tolerance.

Post of the dayclap2.gif .

I doubt it will even come close to the extremist posts yet to come.

Nisa:

I doubt it will even come close to the extremist posts yet to come.

You are probably correct if you are referring to the American haters.

Critique of American laws/policy equates to hate of America? That is an extreme statement

Bring popcorn and sodas and a nice comfy chair.

I imagine it is within ones legal rights to attend a protest as an observer, sitting nearby enjoying the events. Maybe we can bring their flags and some paint along too.

Eye for an eye....Wait, that doesn't work. This is the very reason why the world is in the current shape because everyone feels that life is an eye for an eye.

If we step back and think about all this nonsense, and it is truly nonsense to spark global protests over a stupid low rate film, and to turn that into violent rage....well, that is not an eye for an eye.

Perhaps, if someone made a stupid film about another character, then that would be more like a true eye for an eye. But, people need to move on and forgive and forget. We can learn from these freedoms and choose not to produce idiotic films that hurt others.

Freedom is not free. Freedom of speech does not mean we have the moral rights to harm others even if we have the legal rights to say and print and film whatever we want under the constitution.

So, we can begin to heal if all parties agree to halt insulting media against each other and instead, build lasting bonds based on trust, mutual respect and intelligent exchanges.

We are witnessing childish and uneducated behavior on all sides now. Those stupid idiots who produced and released this terrible film and now, these idiots who are burning flags, embassies and harming others on the streets.

I fully support peaceful protests and I hope they will remain peaceful here and perhaps, it will set an example for other places around the world to keep these protests peaceful.

Quite simply everyone should be allowed the freedom to do what they want as long as it doesn't impinge on anyone else's freedom to do the same.

If you want to shout slogans then fine. If you want a fight you can have that too.