Travelling On A Passport With Less Than 6 Months Have A New Passport Different Country

I need to renew my visa(TA) next week my UK passport expires 5.12.12. I have a new NZ passport...what's the best way to renew my visa using the NZ passport? I tried to book on Tiger airways online when I put the passport expiry date it wont let me go any further. Should I use my NZ passport details when I go to book online? Cheers

You cannot "renew your "visa" in the NZ passport when you entered on a UK passport. If you want a new visa from abroad in your NZ passport, you should leave by air and on arrival in the other country enter on your NZ passport.

When booking a ticket you could use the NZ passport, as they operate independent from immigration.

Thanks thought made sense using the NZ passport. I meant use another passport initially.

You cannot "renew your "visa" in the NZ passport when you entered on a UK passport. If you want a new visa from abroad in your NZ passport, you should leave by air and on arrival in the other country enter on your NZ passport.

When booking a ticket you could use the NZ passport, as they operate independent from immigration.

The rule is to make sure it is valid when you are due to exit the country so that you can actually depart - not all countries can provide a new passport immediately and many do not have representation in all countries.

That still does not make any sense. If I have 31 days left on my passport and I enter Thailand (for example) and get a 30 day on arrival tourist visa, then my passport is completely valid for the duration of my stay.

Else, they could limit my entry to coincide with my passport expiration if the visa would exceed validity of the passport.

It's all just bureaucratic BS. In fact, your 5 year passport is really only valid for 4.5 years.

And Thailand has no six month requirement so not a good example. Thailand allows entry with passport valid for the period of intended stay. It is other countries that often do not.

I think it's because as many others bureaucratic nonsense, there may have been a reason ages ago, but even today nobody cares changing it. I mean, lawmakers are have better things to do than worry about foreigners wasting six months of 'passport life'.