Does Chiang Mai Get Affected By Floods?

davofromoz

just depends... we are in sansai noi, close to Rimping and Ruam CHok plaza... we had no floods at all and access to our mooban throughout the whole CM flooding thing.

However, 2 blocks from our house, the roads were closed and some were under a meter of water... the road past our house that goes to Laguna back side was closed for 3 days and sois off the ring road were closed for weeks... with people wading to their houses and parking their cars out on main streets...

like i said... just depends

• Like 1

The old city (inside the moat) doesn't flood. south and south east tend to flood as they are lower and closer to the ping river.

Not true. The moat was flooded last year. I have the photos of Rachawiti flooded (and saw it myself). Not sure what the rules are about using someone else's photos.

• Like 1

Like so many have said before, stay away from the area directly East of the Ping (round the Iron and Nawarat Bridges). Stayed last year at the far end of Kong Sai Road (near Dr Wong's Hospital) and twas waist height........inside sad.png

Ugly things come out of the drains/sewers...very ugly things. Never had a cockroach upstairs until it flooded downstairs then there were so many and so close it was becoming a bit intimate.

Not may places to rent directly round this area anyway (other than shophouses) but regardless if you are further east of this (train station onwards) there was still some localised deep and expanive puddles, and making your way into town is a hassle.

Directly east is definately "prone" .

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Guy I knew in Nimmenhieman area thought his place didn't flood, it didn't from the river, but the rain that couldn't drain away fast enough got him.

Guess that cat be helped , will need to make sure construction and water drainage on property is up to scratch, maybe buy something in the wet season to test if any leaks

Guy I knew in Nimmenhieman area thought his place didn't flood, it didn't from the river, but the rain that couldn't drain away fast enough got him.

Good point

Some areas looked like they were flooded but it was the drains backing up.

I suppose you could call that a flood.

I see dave2 reading the topic, I'm sure he'll post some flood photos soon.

2005 was an epic flood year- pretty much all of the area around Chang Klan Rd. (Night Bazaar) had underground parking garages, etc. completely innundated.

To answer the OP's question, yeah sure it floods in CM.

Even in my relatively flood-free zone (Huay Kaew Rd. near CMU) if it rains torrentially for a long time...streets are flooded.

Hate to sound smug- but living on the 11th floor of an apt bldg makes me somewhat indifferent to the issue.

I looked but couldn't find the flood plain map for CM that I know I saved somewhere on my computer...maybe some kind soul can post it here.

• Like 1

2005 was an epic flood year- pretty much all of the area around Chang Klan Rd. (Night Bazaar) had underground parking garages, etc. completely innundated.

Even in my relatively flood-free zone (Huay Kaew Rd. near CMU) if it rains torrentially for a long time...streets are flooded.

Hate to sound smug- but living on the 11th floor of an apt bldg makes me somewhat indifferent to the issue.

I looked but couldn't find the flood plain map for CM that I know I saved somewhere on my computer...maybe some kind soul can post it here.

Found this old flood map, don't know how reliable it is.

post-67785-0-33744300-1348821884_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not sure if it's in Thai but I assume the brown areas are safe?

Looks Thai to me.

Not 100%. The white areas are "safe from the river", but can still flood due to heavy rains, etc. Last years flood covered all the colored areas on the map.

Not 100%. The white areas are "safe from the river", but can still flood due to heavy rains, etc. Last years flood covered all the colored areas on the map.

We were flooded in Sansai (brown area) for like 5-6 days. Couldn't get out without possibly flooding the car engine until the 4th day. Had dead rats and snakes all around the house, a snake in the kitchen, and fish swimming by as I walked to where the driveway was.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Here's another illustration, from Chang Klan Road in 2011:

post-20094-0-40975800-1348839217_thumb.j

/ Priceless

PS My apologies to whoever I stole the pic from.

Holy crap, what am I getting myself into

Dosent this type of flooding mess with your business and life? Do you just sit by for a month until the water disappears or fly somewhere else or just boat it like they do in Venice?