The Intellectual Aspects Of Living In Thailand

IntellectualFarang

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reached an epoch after some acid when I was 19, life, the universe, causality, relativity, it all came into focus. I honestly understaood it all completly, explained chaos theory and the possibilty of time travel within the constraints of Einsteinian physics to all that were there.

That happened to me a number of times, but I always forgot it completely by the time the stuff wore off.

Outside of my charity work which is intellectually demanding, learning new things, research and cooking. I live alone which gives me a huge amount of 'me' time that I put to good use. Don't watch TV and don't even have one. Live alone and don't go out much but never bored. I couldn't ask for more.

• Like 1

Thais are possibly the least intellectual people on this planet, and consequently there is virtually nothing of any intellectual depth in Thai culture, aside from the work of the few true Buddhists that exist, or in the vast majority of performing acts which turn up here.

This leaves the foreign resident with making his own intellectual world, with foreign friends, with books, with the internet, with DVDs, etc, etc. Personally, my top resources are YouTube, BBC Radio 4, pirate DVDs and books.

I would say that it is an intellectual challenge to make your pirate DVD's and books for you. in your language that is, as the majority of people don't think Thais can understand English...............wink.png

BTW, I hope you aren't bringing them in with you as that is illegal..........thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth

Thais are possibly the least intellectual people on this planet, and consequently there is virtually nothing of any intellectual depth in Thai culture, aside from the work of the few true Buddhists that exist, or in the vast majority of performing acts which turn up here.

Not sure they are the least intellectual people in the world.

But it certainly is a hub of not-tink-too-mut.

Intellectual: one who tries to use his or her intellect to work, study, reflect, speculate, or ask and answer questions about a wide variety of different ideas.

Dumbass: one who doesn't.

Clueless: a dumbass who makes stupid generalizations about whole cultures.

• Like 1

There are an amazing number of online university lectures you can access for free on a wide range of subjects for free. Also, podcasts can be downloaded for current events, lectures, philosophy, science, literature, etc.

I also find the FCCT has some informative events on SE Asian topics and sometimes the foreign embassies sponsor a movie from their homecountry (and even some wine too).

I agree that living in Thailand is not the same experience as living in other places with more museums and open universities - but you can stay intellectually challenged if you seek it out.

It makes me wonder where these people are hanging out that have such a low opinion of Thais. Sure, they have their brain-dead soap operas too, but there are plenty of talented and accomplished people here too.

huh.png , please reveal all. thumbsup.gif

Thai soaps are generally more interesting than my Thai neighbors.

(although there is one local girl rumored to have amazing talents with ping-pong balls, I'm told her and her friends have a collection of cunning stunts to display)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It makes me wonder where these people are hanging out that have such a low opinion of Thais. Sure, they have their brain-dead soap operas too, but there are plenty of talented and accomplished people here too.

huh.png , please reveal all. thumbsup.gif

I presume this was a reaction to or at least included...

I was going to respond to this myself but just continued through the thread and added my own comment instead. It's not an easy thing to respond to because one would have to judge one's own intellect in order to do so. However (there always has to be one), in all the years I have sent here I have never found anyone able to talk about philosophy, world politics, quantum mechanics, evolution and such like but I would not expect to do so. Would I like to sit over a few changs discussing what the Curiosity rover on Mars is doing at present or the latest on theoretical particle physics I would certainly say yes. Do I look down on the people of Thailand because I cannot do so, no.

in all the years I have sent here I have never found anyone able to talk about philosophy, world politics, quantum mechanics, evolution and such like but I would not expect to do so. Would I like to sit over a few changs discussing what the Curiosity rover on Mars is doing at present or the latest on theoretical particle physics I would certainly say yes. Do I look down on the people of Thailand because I cannot do so, no.

I'll start you off then, do you favour the Dark Matter theory or MOND?

in all the years I have sent here I have never found anyone able to talk about philosophy, world politics, quantum mechanics, evolution and such like but I would not expect to do so. Would I like to sit over a few changs discussing what the Curiosity rover on Mars is doing at present or the latest on theoretical particle physics I would certainly say yes. Do I look down on the people of Thailand because I cannot do so, no.

I'll start you off then, do you favour the Dark Matter theory or MOND?

I favour non DM.

Advaita vedanta has a method of constantly asking: 'Who am I?", and the answer eventually will come from beyond intellect, for we are , in our true nature, above and beyond intellect. The knowing of self melts knower and known into pure knowingness, without an object.

Thus the meditator enters samadhi, and the fusion of enoying and enjoyment leaves but pure joy, ananda, bliss-consciousness, which can become permanent, eternal, everlasting.

More commonly known as self inculcation. If you spend enought time trying to convince yourself that you are a three legged purple chicken you will finally believe it. Nothing more (or less) than self induced insanity.

people say thai people have no intelect, the landing system for vehicles off to mars were all but given up on until a thai desighned one.

Some people can't spell intellect either!

there are other words wrong to, i'm not taking my time crossing the i's and dotting the t's incase the grammar police come out in an attempt to appear smarter then the rest, could it be english is my second languageand i'm realy kicking ass.

how many do you speak

there are other words wrong to, i'm not taking my time crossing the i's and dotting the t's incase the grammar police come out in an attempt to appear smarter then the rest, could it be english is my second languageand i'm realy kicking ass.

how many do you speak

Other words wrong too ........

I'm afraid I can only speak two languages, English and Thai, I used to speak French and Portuguese, but haven't used either of those for years and they went away.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Socrates was at the point at the end of his life, where he was able to say: "I know nothing".

Sounds like he needed a trip to a gogo club to remind him of carnal pleasures, instead of racking his brains against a dead-end. I know, I know, he was Greek, but they do have boy-a-go-go's too.

Reading ...... that's about it.

What do you consider intellectual pursuits?

Thank you.

Can I just repeat that the title for this subject should be

The Intellectual Aspects of Living in Thailand.

Do you know how to change this?

Yes, I love reading, too. I'm currently reading James Ellroy. He writes very well and his stories are interesting.

You all should read the book 'The Origin of Virtue" one of Bill Clintons favorite books as well as mine!

Why do dolphins gang rape women like chimpanzees? If you have ever pondered why, then give this book a quick read! Very Intriguing!