Gpad Tablets...any Recommendations?

Pib

Was walking around a Bangkok mall today and saw a lot of Gpad Tablets (Android-based) for sale at very attractive prices. Anyone bought/using a GPad tablet? Any good? Any recommendations/etc?

See this link to the GPad website. Link. You will need Google Translate turned on unless you can read Thai.

the G-Net brand have a interesting Reputation among Thai's

"Buy it and it will fail immediately" ... and if it does work they have made sure it is not compatible to anything (including itself) smile.png

pretty much everyone does say the same about this brand, but still it is being bought quite alot.

mostly from peoples require a TV in the phone

or peoples are okay with a 1990 based Function-set (but then still Nokia's cheap modell are just 100-300 baht more expensive, but they not come with color display)

the very cheap price have 2 origins.

1. it's a Thai Brand

2. Hard and Software from China (developed and produced, where this rules out number one but who cares)

the GPad is based on the same history, exept that the operating systems are now not redeveloped by chinese copy cats,

now its running Android Open source (even better since its even cheaper than chinese copy OS, so this "may" bring some basic compatiblity)

but as for the hardware itself, i dont think there is much of a difference.

also the after sales service is terrible, they basically not fix anything except the things a non-brand guy in a 1by1 meter MBK-booth can fix in 5 minutes.

in short: you get what you pay for!

Edited by nullx8

I have had my Gpad for about 5 months now. Initially bought it just as an ebook reader but now use it for Internet, games, email and streaming movies and music from my PC. I have had no problems at all and for 4500 baht consider it a real bargain. I have the 8 inch model with Android 4 ICS... If you do buy one look carefully at the OS as there are still Gpads around with previous versions of Android.

I have no idea what Null8x is talking about, the GPad series are decent Android tablets. Most are running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and use the Google Play app store. Everything I have put on my GPad 7.0 Explorer III (S) has worked flawlessly. My apps include Kindle Book reader, Google Maps, all kinds of movies, podcasts and streaming audio from the web. I've even gone into Tesco's food court or other restaurants that offer WiFi and streamed NFL Game Pass to watch American football through the standard Google web browser. And my model only has a 1.2 GHz processor with 4 Gigabytes of storage--though I have added a micro SD card for an additional 16 Gig of storage memory. Most of the newer ones have 1.5 GHz Dual Core processors, 8 to 16 Gigs of on board storage and the micro SD slot to add an additional 32 Gigabytes of storage with 7", 8", and 9" screen sizes. All for only 3500 to 6000 Baht and their upgradeable to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. My particular model lasts for about 6 to 8 hours watching video but lasts up to 12 hours when just reading books or listening to audio books or podcasts or streaming radio, etc. I've never figured out how long it takes to recharge, because I usually plug it in at night at bedtime. I started to buy a Galaxy Nexus 7 for 12,900 in our local IT mall, buy I'm glad I saved the money (mine cost 3,500 baht.) I really just wanted something to tide me over until the Windows 8 tablets came out, but now I'll be happy until the price on those drop to truly affordable...probably about a year from now!

Edited by mosan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the inputs...seems the majority of folks give the GPad a thumbs up for a basic tablet. From looking at the specs they seem to be Wifi only, 801.12b/g only versus also also having N capability (which is not a big deal unless maybe you have a hope 30Mb or up internet plan), no phone/GSM/3G capability, and the screen resolution is a little lower than Samsung type models. Where I say no phone/GSM/3G capability I'm saying that because I didn't see in any of the specs references to that capability. But realizing many people don't want/plan to use a tablet for calls (like me) that's not an issue considering the very, very attractive GPad prices. Our main use would be for the wife and I to show pictures, play a few games, use a few Apps that don't need an internet connection, and use with Wifi within our home....and maybe a little bit of eReading.

I see they also have a good amount of service centers listed on their web site. I assume they come with a 12 month warranty like other products I bought in Thailand like Thai/Chinese made DVD players. But I didn't see on their website any links to download manuals like an English manual version to readup on the capabilities/use...but you could download some Apps (mostly games) which you can get most anywhere like off Google Play/Market. They do seem to come with the lastest Android version like ICS and Jelly Bean.

Yes, until some more folks post bad experiences with owing a GPad, like it broke shortly after buying it, etc., on the surface it does seem like a good, basic series of tablets/models for many people and how they want to use a tablet. The mall I mentioned in my OP post was the Bang Kai Mall in western Bankgok and at least a third of the cell phone booths (dozens and dozens of them) had a wide variety of GPads for sale...and as mentioned I was almost shocked by the low prices in comparions to Samsung/Apple/Asus/etc., type tablets. When I went to Lotus today I noticed many of the cell phone booths also had the GPad tablets for sale.

I now understand why some of that price differential exists based on some of the features not included in a GPad...features some folks really wouldn't use/need/want based on how they plan to use the tablet. Yeap, I'll have to stop by some of the booths and get some hands-on use of the GPads and ask some questions. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

Ok, no need to buy an expensive one nor the perceived best...and it is expensive when you compare it to the many, many similar but less well known brands on the market...kinda like how we are comparing low cost GPad tablets to more well know tablets like Samsung tablets Lots of good brands out there. Preaching to the choir I know.

For me, if and when I get tablet (I've got the urge right now), I want to get one in the 10 inch screen ballpark. You wouldn't believe how close I came to buying a Galaxy Note 10.1 last weekend...I got real close. Cheers.