I Need Permanent Proof That I Am Living In Thailand For My Bank To Not Pay Taxes

expatsupreme

I live in Thailand like 90 % of my time. So my bank advised me that I should send them proof of residency so I will not pay EU taxes.

What to do? I don't own a condo, I live in hotels, they told me to give them

this is what I got from my bank advisor

1. Provide any document in english!

2. Any kind of residency confirmation - a Hotel invoice is not enough to accept as a residency confirmation

Regards

If somebody has a document like that to show me how it looks like, please pm me so I can go to BKK gov and ask them to give it to me

In treaties for avoidance of double taxation, one criterion to be exempt of tax is proof that you spend more than 183 days per year outside of the country.

Passport stamps are proof and are routinely used as proof in such (tax) matters.

If you reside in Thailand on a yearly visa, you can go to your local immigration office which will deliver such certificate.

Edited by manarak

That advisor is silly, I copied hotel statement, not enough, asked if he wants electric bill, nada, he said I need to go to government so they issue that to me

I dont get it, I just gave up, but hell, i dont want to pay taxes for interests in the bank

Bank account does not work for him, also probably driving licence would not do it...retirement visa, no way, I am 36 yo

That advisor is silly, I copied hotel statement, not enough, asked if he wants electric bill, nada, he said I need to go to government so they issue that to me

I dont get it, I just gave up, but hell, i dont want to pay taxes for interests in the bank

Bank account does not work for him, also probably driving licence would not do it...retirement visa, no way, I am 36 yo

what visa do you stay on?

You get an electric bill from your hotel?

What type of Non O visa are you on? Thai spouse extensions? Visiting Family? If so, don't they have an address .... or do live in the hotel with you?

I assume you are only talking about tax on interest paid on your bank account. I found this on line at what appears to be a UK govt web site: Interest Tax

I extracted the paragraph below. The web site covers many other situations

If you're a non-taxpayer

If your level of income means that you don't need to pay tax, you can complete a form 'R85 - Getting your interest without tax taken off'. If you've already had tax taken off your interest, you will be able to claim it back.

i had to fill in a form from the tax man, im not 100% sure but i think it was a p83 something like that,

so my addres with the tax man is thailand,

something like that would be better for you,

get your addres changed with the tax man and then give the bank letter from tax man,

jake

I assume you are only talking about tax on interest paid on your bank account. I found this on line at what appears to be a UK govt web site: Interest Tax

I extracted the paragraph below. The web site covers many other situations

If you're a non-taxpayer

If your level of income means that you don't need to pay tax, you can complete a form 'R85 - Getting your interest without tax taken off'. If you've already had tax taken off your interest, you will be able to claim it back.

Form R85 is only for UK residents; the form for non-residents is R105. However, in my experience, if the bank has an offshore operation it usually won't accept the R105 and will say you should transfer your account to the offshore bank.

You can get a residency letter from the British Embassy - at a steep cost. Unless you're fabulously wealthy, the cost of the letter is likely to be more than the tax saved.

I have Austrian bank, but I live in Slovenia, so all my saving and current earnings go immediately to my Austrian bank

I am always on tourisr visa, that has 3 entries, then I extend for another 6 months

I go back each time after 1 year, because my airplane ticket is valid for only 1 year max

As others have said, your passport stamps showing a cumulative 183 days in Thailand over the past 12 months will prove your residency status for Tax purposes.

Not for every country, depends in your local tax laws.

The easiest is a residency certificate from your embassy. If they refuse it, you are not "resident" here by tax purpose.

Simply get a 'certificate of residency' from any thai immigration centre. I recently obtained one in Pattaya and paid a 'tip' to get it within 1 hour. I had to get the certificate to get a thai drivers licence

How are you going to get a certificate of residency, if you are staying in hotels? According to the OP he is living in Slovenia and spending 90% of his time in Thai hotels ??ermm.gif Something doesn't add up, and why am I wasting my time on this???bah.gif

Simply get a 'certificate of residency' from any thai immigration centre. I recently obtained one in Pattaya and paid a 'tip' to get it within 1 hour. I had to get the certificate to get a thai drivers licence

How are you going to get a certificate of residency, if you are staying in hotels? According to the OP he is living in Slovenia and spending 90% of his time in Thai hotels ??ermm.gif Something doesn't add up, and why am I wasting my time on this???bah.gif

I am slovenian citizen , have bank account in Austria and live in Thailand over 95 % of my time, what is there not to understand?

Ok I will try to get a certificate, where in pattaya exactly can I do that? Sounds like a good idea

I need papers in English, I guess nobody will issue them in german right in Thailand?

Also they cant read thai language in my bank, ok chaps?

Simply get a 'certificate of residency' from any thai immigration centre.

Not that straightforward. You have to be doing 90 day reporting to get the certificate. The OP doesn't seem to be doing this. Plus the certificate will be in Thai.

I need papers in English, I guess nobody will issue them in german right in Thailand?

Get them in Thai, then get an officially certified translation into German or English.

I just need a solution, I am really fed with paying tax interests on my money

what is the solution then?

As has been posted before, first step is to go to your embassy. Get a letter from them confirming your residence. Get a certified translation from Slovene to English or German. Send original and translation to your bank.

Alternatively, move your money out of the European Union to a country which doesn't tax interest on bank account income.

Edited by AyG

I'm puzzled by this. Just before I left the UK I transferred my accounts to the offshore subsidiaries of those banks that I dealt with. All mail from them is delivered to my Thailand home address and all money transfers go to one of my Thai banks. Although I have to pay UK income tax, interest on my offshore accounts is not taken into consideration when calculating my tax liability.

I have Austrian bank, but I live in Slovenia, so all my saving and current earnings go immediately to my Austrian bank

I am always on tourisr visa, that has 3 entries, then I extend for another 6 months

I go back each time after 1 year, because my airplane ticket is valid for only 1 year max

you are not living in thailand according to them. you are living in slovenia, holidaying in thailand and subjected to tax.

if all you need is a proof of residency, then get a apartment rental contract, submit it and request a proof of residency from the immigration. if they ask for the reasons, just bullshlt that you need it for a car/bike ownership. then get it translated.