Chuwit Already Has Plans For Comeback

george

Chuwit already has plans for comeback

BANGKOK: -- The Chat Thai Party is likely to field former MP Chuwit Kamolvisit in a Bangkok by-election if any of the February election winners is disqualified or refused endorsement by the Election Commission, a senior party figure said yesterday.

Jongchai Thiengtham, a deputy Chat Thai leader, said he agreed to an idea of having Chuwit contest a by-election in the hope that he would make a comeback to the House of Representatives.

Chuwit yesterday returned a government-issued computer, his ID and voting card and Bt90,930 – his last month’s pay and allowances – in the wake of a court verdict disqualifying him last week.

“I returned my earnings derived from tax money to set an example for other officeholders,” he said.

Chuwit also pledged to reimburse his salary from last year to the House Secretariat within a month.

The Constitution Court ruled he was not eligible for his House seat, allocated under the quota of the Chat Thai party-list, as he had not met the 90-day rule for party membership before contesting the general election.

On his future, Chuwit said he was still a Chat Thai member.

“I have yet to decide whether to contest the Senate race,” he said. “At this moment, I am with Chat Thai and want to tell my party leader Banharn Silapa-archa to step down in order to pave the way for a younger successor.”

House Secretary-General Pitoon Phumhiran said Chuwit was not obliged to return his salary, because he was disqualified on a legal technicality, not for graft.

--The Nation 2006-02-01

• 4 weeks later...