How Would You Improve Thailand?

Gone

I could sit on a bench drinking beer with any one of you and go head to head bitching about Thailand for hours and never run out of outrageous anecdotes of bullshit that has happened, etc.

But you know, I live here because I don't like what has happened to the US. In fact, I hate what has happened there. Every facet of your life is regulated. It's almost gotten to where you need a permit to take a shit. The last time I was there, I got a $140 ticket for pissing along side the road way out in the middle of a Nevada desert. My private parts were completely concealed by the vehicle. The cop saw me standing there staring at the clouds and knew what I was doing, as confirmed by the wet spot. I have NO desire to EVER go back there. THAT"S why I live here.

Now, think about all the things you would change here. It's pretty hard to change one thing and not have it affect another. By the time we got everything here "fixed," it would be just like the US. Force all the workers to be licensed. Make sure every street vendor has a three compartment stainless steel sink and hot water to protect us from dirty hands, food and dishes.

And the OP's number 4, corruption? I hate it as much as everybody else. But then do I really want to go back to the US system, where a cop gives me a ticket for a slow roll through a stop sign out in the middle of nowhere, and instead of taking 100 baht on the spot, I have to go through the system, pay 1,000 baht, have it on my record and my insurance rates go up? Do you really want to be back in that system?

Yeah, I wish I could get permanent residency and hire a Thai electrician that knew his ass from page eight. But watch out!

Be careful what you ask for if you REALLY don't want it.

After some serious critical thinking, I don't really want to change a thing. In fact, my biggest concern is that over the next 15-20 years everything on the wishlists posted above will come to pass and I'll be right back in a quasi US. My worst nightmare.

I will however, continue to drink beer and complain.

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could leave and make it a little less crowded...

Other than that, I haven't the right, nor the ability to effect other changes.

I'm a guest. I'm not allowed to rearrange the furniture, much less paint the walls a different color.

Edited by impulse

You're not "a guest", you're a visitor.

Guest implies that Thailand is a host with all the obligations of a host. Obligations that Thailand clearly doesn't meet.

Guest and host should refer to individuals only.

Sorry, but this "guest" thing is a pet peeve.

• Like 1

Guest implies that Thailand is a host with all the obligations of a host. Obligations that Thailand clearly doesn't meet.

Guest and host should refer to individuals only.

Sorry, but this "guest" thing is a pet peeve.

But is a killer 'you are a guest'!

Such as?

Being able to buy the host's land if desired? :huh:

I do not think the points mentioned by the OP would have any effect on improving Thailand.

It would be a huge help to me and I am not at all against that!! smile.png But it would not make any difference to Thailand, the only post that would truly

benefit was about education.

I traveled and worked in many places like most on here have, I've seen rich countries do badly and poor countries do well.

best way to improve a country start from a few very basic things.

- Taxes have to be paid, Profit from Resources properly handled

With the money above 3 things need to be properly managed.

- Schools, education

- Hospitals

- Roads, transportation infrastructure

Being honest the things that would benefit this nation would have negative impact most of us living here.

Anyways I like it here and if was my country to run my first order of business would be to reduce the import tax on beer!

Such as?

Being able to buy the host's land if desired? huh.png

Does a host give no rights to their guest?

Does a host try to rip off their guests?

Is a host only interested in parting their guest from their money?

As I said before; the guest-host relationship applies to individuals only.

Please prove me wrong.

I like Thailand the way it is for me. What I was asking was opinions that might change it for the Thais and to boost the economy here. I love Thailand and all it's corruption however I don't like seeing how the Thais are treated here and how they are not allowed to "get ahead"

With ASEAN coming in how do you think Thailand will fair? Not to well if they can't speak the International language so other countries will do business with the other ASEAN countries who can = negative for Thailand.

As the Immigration Department monitors these forums I would like to know your serious way that YOU think would help improve Thailand? And please lets not say things like: "Fix the dam_n potholes in all the roads" etc.

Either post your ideas or elaborate more on my opinions.

In my opinion I would have to say (not in any particular order):

1) Make it easier for foreigners to buy & own land or houses.

If thailand allowed foreigners to buy land, it would make matters worse. Land prices would skyrocket, then it would no longer be attractive for foriengers to live here. Foreigners would be THE LARGEST SPECULATORS, you think Thais are greedy, just wait till foreigners get involved.

2) Make the Visa options easier to attract more tourists who might become expats here. e.g.: 90 day multiple entry tourist visa upon arrival.

Thailand is already a hub for international travellers as well as criminals and sex tourist. Why would someone need mulitple entries into thailand anyway ? I'm sure there must be some valid reasons, but I really cant think of any within a 3 month period.

3) Education for learning English language MUST be a priority in ALL areas of Thailand which would mean the Government must pay higher salaries for REAL English teachers and must also fund all of Thailand including the poor provinces with enough money to hire these teachers etc. By this I also mean training Government staff to speak English as well. The problem now is that they say they are trying to stop corruption etc. but if a foreigner has a complaint or needs to report to most Police stations, there are not many that have English speaking staff. The same goes for a lot of Government agencies.

Why does English have to be a priority? Your in Thailand LEARN THAI, what makes you think your so important that Thais must cater to your needs ?

If you tried to pull this in the US, UK,Oz or wherever and you told them they must learn Chinese, what do you think they would do? Do you think they would make the entire pool of government workers learn Chinese to accomodate 1% ? Or do you think it would be better for them to learn the language of the country in which they are living?

4) The obvious is to lower corruption however this is not an easy one.

Corruption is on a political level that will probably never effect you. A lot of foreigners think they will lose their rights to own condos in thailand, but thats an ignorant observation. The repurcussions would be drastic and foreign ties would be severed...the government will not just take your condo away from you.

I enjoy some forms of corruption, i can give a cop 100 baht if i get stopped and im done with it. In the US i just got nailed for 3 traffic violations that were all dismissed because of a stupid crooked cop trying to make his quota. But had to pay the administration fees anyway $25 x 3.

Some call it corruption, I call them fines and political donations back in the US.

5) Thailand has been so independent all along and tries to do everything on their own without taking help from 1st word Nations and I think they should start accepting help and researching the way things are done elsewhere for instance consulting New Orleans regarding flood prevention and in general just follow other countries who have gone from "developing" to "2nd world status" to 1st world status.

Are you serious? The flood in New Orleans was the poster child of flood mismanagement, late response and a week before FEMA could even provide drinking water. Last years floods in Thailand were handled much better than the US could even dream of.

Why take help and advice from other countries when you cannot apply it to Thailand? One country's protocals cannot always be applied to another.

Anyone else?

Keep Thailand the way it is, thats what makes it Thailand. There's no need to accomodate foreign request to turn the country into their own.

Besides, there have been attempts to apply some of this suppose knowledge and they usually fail. The traffic problem is one of the biggest failures which foreign 'experts' have basicly given up on solving.

I would appoint an educated English (as first language) speaking person (or 20).

Then have them personally interview every English teacher in Thailand and immediately dismiss those teachers who can't actually speak any English.

Sounds like a good opportunity for the interviewer to get some serius tea-money. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

As the Immigration Department monitors these forums

Wishful thinking or paranoia? w00t.gif

And who do you think hosts this site?

There is one born every minute.

So that would than be the Singapore Immigration Department?! w00t.gif

IP address: 175.41.131.133

Host name: thaivisa.com

canonical name: thaivisa.com

175.41.131.133 is from Singapore(SG) in region Southern and Eastern Asia

Edited by Morakot

1)OP, didn't you make a long post about how you were leaving Thailand a while back? I could be mistaken...

2) The immigration department is monitoring these forums?!? lol...seriously...lol. Imagine Officer Somchai settling into his desk at 8:30 am, turning on his computer, cracking his knuckles and thinking to himself "ok..now lets see what these farang are plotting on this "thaivisa" site..hmm..".

Even if they are aware of the site, it would take them 1 week to understand the contents of a single thread. Jesus they would probably give up after reading two posts in the "British Invasion" thread. I digress...

3) How would I improve Thailand? I would fix the potholes.

1)OP, didn't you make a long post about how you were leaving Thailand a while back? I could be mistaken...

2) The immigration department is monitoring these forums?!? lol...seriously...lol. Imagine Officer Somchai settling into his desk at 8:30 am, turning on his computer, cracking his knuckles and thinking to himself "ok..now lets see what these farang are plotting on this "thaivisa" site..hmm..".

Even if they are aware of the site, it would take them 1 week to understand the contents of a single thread. Jesus they would probably give up after reading two posts in the "British Invasion" thread. I digress...

3) How would I improve Thailand? I would fix the potholes.

3. They do that already! Every 2-4 weeks, or sogiggle.gif

number 4 ..... and get a real police force to enforce laws. People here have no respect for the laws of the country .

What people?, the majority of Thai people are very law abiding and never been in trouble with the police in their lives.

The crime rate is one of the lowest in the world and the last thing it needs is a western style police force.

Sure we have tea money cops in Thailand who like to meet as many people as they can in a day

but better that than a guy losing his job, his house and his family because he wad doing 35mph in a built up area. like people have done in droves in the likes of the UK

More sensible places to make chances/improvements.Thailand should double or even quadripple the money they put into education.

The standard of education required to berecome a teacher should be raised considerably and salaries should be inthe highest possible bracket to attract only the best people into the job.

Like the Phillipnes all kids should be taught English from a young age from Bangkok to Buriram and given a chance in life.

There are kids out there who get free schooling only they don't because they have no trasport to get to school don't even have shoes and can't afford

a pen to write with.

Thailand should start with their own and stuff putting money into things like changing the system to make it easier for Farang to get a visa e.g

The money it would cost to do that would be much better spent on helping people who really are needy not making life easier for someone who already has everything he/she needs.

I really don't know if the Immigration Department is monitoring this forum, but in case it true I'd like to say that: to improve Thailand I will increase the Immigration Department staff salary.......whistling.gif

Frankly I have not idea exactly what I can do for improve Thailand, for sure not to convince them that I can improve Thailand.

I could sit on a bench drinking beer with any one of you and go head to head bitching about Thailand for hours and never run out of outrageous anecdotes of bullshit that has happened, etc.

But you know, I live here because I don't like what has happened to the US. In fact, I hate what has happened there. Every facet of your life is regulated. It's almost gotten to where you need a permit to take a shit. The last time I was there, I got a $140 ticket for pissing along side the road way out in the middle of a Nevada desert. My private parts were completely concealed by the vehicle. The cop saw me standing there staring at the clouds and knew what I was doing, as confirmed by the wet spot. I have NO desire to EVER go back there. THAT"S why I live here.

Now, think about all the things you would change here. It's pretty hard to change one thing and not have it affect another. By the time we got everything here "fixed," it would be just like the US. Force all the workers to be licensed. Make sure every street vendor has a three compartment stainless steel sink and hot water to protect us from dirty hands, food and dishes.

And the OP's number 4, corruption? I hate it as much as everybody else. But then do I really want to go back to the US system, where a cop gives me a ticket for a slow roll through a stop sign out in the middle of nowhere, and instead of taking 100 baht on the spot, I have to go through the system, pay 1,000 baht, have it on my record and my insurance rates go up? Do you really want to be back in that system?

Yeah, I wish I could get permanent residency and hire a Thai electrician that knew his ass from page eight. But watch out!

Be careful what you ask for if you REALLY don't want it.

After some serious critical thinking, I don't really want to change a thing. In fact, my biggest concern is that over the next 15-20 years everything on the wishlists posted above will come to pass and I'll be right back in a quasi US. My worst nightmare.

I will however, continue to drink beer and complain.

Couldn't agree more.

I take my daughter to school every day on our scooter. We ride on the sidewalk, on the wrong side of the street, for a few hundred yards. If I did that in the states, I'd be arrested for child endangerment. If I followed the law, I'd have to drive 2 miles in heavy traffic to get her there. The BIB's see me and don't blink, they know the score.

I'm surprised you didn't get an indecent exposure charge, and have to register as a sex offender for peeing in public.

In Thailand, it seems like it's a case of 'what harm does it really cause?' vs. the US position 'It's against the rules!'

If we are talking about improving Thailand as the op suggest there is one thing standing high over everything: Nr 4

I really don't thing learning the average Thai speaking English will improve Thailand a lot, it is a higher education need.

To make it easier for foreigners to by land will obviously not help Thailand! And the Visa rules are quite liberal as is, a lot

of people can go here and stay a month for an ordinary vacation without any paperwork. If you want to live in a country

that is not your home country it is definitely in the interest of the host country to ask questions and put certain demands

on you for the benefit of the people. Is there any country or Union that do not comply to this?

If we are talking about improving Thailand as the op suggest there is one thing standing high over everything: Nr 4

I really don't thing learning the average Thai speaking English will improve Thailand a lot, it is a higher education need.

To make it easier for foreigners to by land will obviously not help Thailand! And the Visa rules are quite liberal as is, a lot

of people can go here and stay a month for an ordinary vacation without any paperwork. If you want to live in a country

that is not your home country it is definitely in the interest of the host country to ask questions and put certain demands

on you for the benefit of the people. Is there any country or Union that do not comply to this?

I can not comprehend what your saying without getting lost or gasping for air.

I really do not think that learning the average Thai to speak English will improve Thailand a lot, it is a higher education need.

To make it easier for foreigners to buy land will obviously not help Thailand!

And the Visa rules are quite liberal as is,

a lot of people can go here and stay a month for an ordinary vacation without any paperwork.

If you want to live in a country where you or your parents were not born, it is definitely in the interest of the

host to ask questions and put certain demands on you for the benefit of the people.

Is there any country or Union that do not comply to this?

I can not comprehend what your saying without getting lost or gasping for air.

As you can see, English is not my native language. I'm sorry for confusing you.

Maybe this make it easier for you?

I would also like to try and stop prostitution in Thailand.

With serious jail time and heavy fines for sellers and purchasers, along with compulsory deportation for foreign offenders and their passport stamped 'never to return to Thailand, uses prostitutes' for all the world to see.

But I suspect that wouldn't be popular with many TV members.

Surely you mean provide other alternatives in Thailand so women (and men) are not forced to use prostitution as the means to feed their families. Or educate people that it is not acceptable to allow your daughters to engage in prostitution in order to give the proceeds to the family.

Blacklisting foreigners from entering Thailand for having used the services of a prostitute isnt going to stop prostitution in Thailand, it will just drive it underground where there is even less safety for the women. Or even worse they will be forced to spread their legs for the drunk abusive Thai clientele while they dream of better times where they spent 9 hours a day picking at food at a bar and shouting hello welcaaaam and occasionally servicing a sweaty tourist.

You do know that foreigners partaking of prostitution in Thailand is a drop in the ocean compared to the "domestic market", don't you?

Do do realise you haven't specified who you are talking to, don't you?