Storms Set To Dump Heavy Rains On Thailand This Weekend

webfact

Indeed, what do plants do to emit significant co2?

Aerobics?

They take CO2, water and sunlight to build sugar to store energy. When they need energy the use sugar and split it again in CO2 and water. But as their structure elements are also derivated from sugar they consume more CO2 than they emit.

If you burn the flower at the end you are again at zero CO2. If you keep the wood, you have "stored" CO2.

But we don't have a CO2 problem. The problem is that Thailand is cutting the trees and cover half the country with concrete.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aerobics?

They take CO2, water and sunlight to build sugar to store energy. When they need energy the use sugar and split it again in CO2 and water. But as their structure elements are also derivated from sugar they consume more CO2 than they emit.

If you burn the flower at the end you are again at zero CO2. If you keep the wood, you have "stored" CO2.

But we don't have a CO2 problem. The problem is that Thailand is cutting the trees and cover half the country with concrete.

Yes, i understand photosynthesis. Someone else claimed plants produce co2.

"Both storms are influencing heavy rains in Thailand, said Royol Jitdon, an expert on the Water and Flood Resources Management Committee.

Royol said his committee had nothing to do with the recent flooding in Bangkok - the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration operates the watergates."

That's the problem, two different (and competing) authorities working against each other, creating confusion and adding to the misery of flooding

instead of solving it.

Aerobics?

I once read that plant decay is actually the second largest producer of CO2 gas after Volcanoes. Makes sense but not sure if it is entirely accurate, seems lots of people (writers) have agendas when putting out this kind of data.

They do once they're dead and rotting.

Ah of course they do that too, but, so does just about anything when its t rotting along with plenty of other hard. But the original statement that they emit more than humans was wrong.

Of course, more co2 also makes plants more prolifically too. The great warning debate continues.

Can anyone living in Thailand tell me how this might affect Pattaya? Will it also affect the international airport? I'm scheduled to arrive on October 10th. So just wondering.

Sorry, my crystal ball is out of order now, and my fortune teller is on vacation for another month.

Aerobics?

I once read that plant decay is actually the second largest producer of CO2 gas after Volcanoes. Makes sense but not sure if it is entirely accurate, seems lots of people (writers) have agendas when putting out this kind of data.

Plant decay theoretically is huge, of course, you can't have decay without growth, so what to do? cut down plants to reduce decaying matter?

Of course more co2 also allows places to grow quicker and more prolifically. Cow farts are however something we can choose to do something about.

If the rains continue in the Bkk area, and the predicted heavy rainfall occurs in the North, North-East & Central provences, it will be interesting to see how the revamped system works in about a weeks time when the northern run-off reaches the lower CP river.

Not a good scenario when the inept drainage system can't handle rainfall at present and the lower dams are being reported as being full. Might be a good idea to start opening the sluice gates a little?.

It will take longer than a week for the northern waters to get to Bangkok.

True, looking at Nakon Suwan where the five rivers meet downwards.

Thailand warned of heavy rain this weekend

image_201210021456082079912C-B143-DFCF-146DFE76BA9D0456.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 2 - Thailand's Northeast, East and Central regions are warned of heavy rains triggered from a new tropical storm this weekend.

Pipat Ruang-ngam, Director of the Water Management Center under the Water and Flood Management Committee, said the three regions will be affected by a storm which will make landfall on Thailand between Friday and Monday.

Regarding the flood situation, Mr Pipat said flooded areas will return to normal in the next few days.

He noted that the level of water in the country's main watercourses remains low, except in some areas such as Bangrakam district of Phitsanulok province, Ayutthaya's Bang Ban district and Prachin Buri’s Kabin Buri district, where water still spills over its banks.

If there is no more rain for the next few days, Mr Pipat said, the situation there will return to normal soon. For the capital, Mr Pipat said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is now keeping a close watch on the Thaweewattana sluice gate located in the western part of the city as the water level remains high.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department has issued a warning that tropical storm “Gaemi” in the mid-South China Sea was centred about 700km east of Da Nang, Vietnam.

The storm is expected to make landfall over central Vietnam Friday and Saturday and will affect Thailand from Thursday through Monday.

The warning said that a stronger southwest monsoon prevails over the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand, which will cause torrential rain in some places of the lower North, the Northeast, the Central, the East and the upper South.

People in the risk areas should beware of the severe weather. Strong wind and waves likely as high as 2 to 3 metres in the upper Gulf and the Andaman Sea. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-02

Today is Wednesday, the rain starts Friday, but he claims the flooded areas will return to normal in the next couple of days??

Last I checked, today is Tuesday. So in the next couple of days (up to Thursday) the flooded areas will return to normal .......... followed by flooding on Friday.

Today is Wednesday, the rain starts Friday, but he claims the flooded areas will return to normal in the next couple of days??

Last I checked, today is Tuesday. So in the next couple of days (up to Thursday) the flooded areas will return to normal .......... followed by flooding on Friday.

Woops, so they will be flood free for how long? Makes me all warm knowing.

Just a translation issue. No need to be so pedantic. It's pretty obvious what he means.

Can you translate for us? I have no idea what he means.

Time to inflate your rubber boats if you have em and

keep your Wellies by the door!

Heck...I don't mind the rain...one can only get so wet

then it just don't matter no more. Mind you when it

comes down prechilled to around 18C it is a bit of a

bother but not much...to me anyway.

We can criticise the weather all we want and still

it doesn't do any good...the weather don't give a

shit...it'll do what it wants to do regardless of what

we do to aleviate the amount which reaches the ground

and or...stop cattle from farting.

Time to go fishing or grab the lady & practice makin

babies!

And a song that fits the era of Nisa's video...

CCR-Who'll Stop The Rain.mp3

Crank it up....

Just a translation issue. No need to be so pedantic. It's pretty obvious what he means.

Absolutely, back to normal in a couple if days and then flooded again in the next couple of days. So it will be 'normal' for a day, as i read it.

personally I would not worry too much what the forcasters are saying because they never seem to get it right. On 2 weather forcasts it was said that over the last week we should of had over 40mm of rainfall.

What did we get?

Less than 1mm.?

How can people who supposed to know what they are doing with such technology available, get things so wrong.

From Thursday until next Tuesday it is 'forcast' that we will have 48mm of rain. We will see!!!

I live in the North East (prachonchai in Buriram) and we need the rain.

You are kidding right? You don't get that after the rains the areas should return to normal in a couple days?

If it actually does flood in your region, here are a few things

you should remember...

Keep essential food items handy...

post-146250-0-52966300-1349177802_thumb.

Save your pets from being swept away by rapid flood waters...

post-146250-0-70579600-1349177854_thumb.

Relax and enjoy the day...

post-146250-0-40867300-1349177878_thumb.

No need to worry....it's only water.

• Like 1

personally I would not worry too much what the forcasters are saying because they never seem to get it right. On 2 weather forcasts it was said that over the last week we should of had over 40mm of rainfall.

What did we get?

Less than 1mm.?

How can people who supposed to know what they are doing with such technology available, get things so wrong.

From Thursday until next Tuesday it is 'forcast' that we will have 48mm of rain. We will see!!!

What did we get?

Less than 1mm.?

You can have ours, we are up on last year in Ranong.

You are kidding right? You don't get that after the rains the areas should return to normal in a couple days?

It's not going to flood for a couple of days, but amazingly, it will return to normal about the same time.

I'm sure the people in Sukothai, Ayutthaya and elsewhere up the valley would be happy if the floods they're having cleared in a couple days. They would be happy if I was kidding.

We'll just ignore the "couple of days" it took for last years floods to clear.

It's not going to flood for a couple of days, but amazingly, it will return to normal about the same time.

I'm sure the people in Sukothai, Ayutthaya and elsewhere up the valley would be happy if the floods they're having cleared in a couple days. They would be happy if I was kidding.

We'll just ignore the "couple of days" it took for last years floods to clear.

Again, I scratch my head wondering if you are kidding. Heavy rains forecast for the weekend causing problems but things returning to normal a few days after the rains subside ... this is normal, expected and is something that happens all the time and has for a very very long time. But comparing heavy rains expected this weekend to the results of last years 50 year high rain fall is a bit perplexing. There is just no reason to be so dramatic about heavy rains as it is a very normal and almost daily occurrence during the Monsoon Season in Thailand and heavy rains over a period of a few days is also common and so is short term flooding and none is a reason to believe the sky is falling.

"On the bright side, an unnamed tropical depression will be travelling past Vietnam on Thursday"

Yeah, always look on the bright side blink.png

On the bright side, an unnamed tropical depression will be travelling past Vietnam on Thursday and could bring much-needed rain to drought-stricken northeastern provinces, Royol said.