Israeli Tourist Injured And Raped On Koh Phangan

I am posting this on behalf of the Tommy resort owners.

STATEMENT FOR THAI VISA.doc

Rather than posting the statement in a file that must be downloaded and a special app installed to view it... here it is

I am the owner of Tommy Resort, the locality of where the much publicised incident at last months Full Moon party took place. Initially, I wish to offer my sincere apologies to Ms. Avory, the girl involved, an Isreali citizen, and to her family. The fact that the incident was perpetrated by one of my staff makes my wife and I very sad, nothing like this has ever happened before and we do take care when hiring staff in whatever capacity they may be employed. I am also a founder member of the Haadrin Business Association and have been instrumental in doing everything possible to make Haadrin a safe place for the tourists who visit us, which includes the installation of over 150 CCTV cameras.

Tommy Resort has always tried to maintain the highest standards of respect and safety not just to our resort guests but to everyone who comes to party with us on Full Moon night on the beach. We have our own security team who monitor the conduct of revellers on the beach itself, as well as having our own CCTV surveillance system in place. Access to the resort on Full Moon night is via our reception area only where a security guard is always present. All other entrances/exits are blocked off with fencing, with signs clearly visible in both English and Thai prohibiting entry to all persons. This is to protect the valuables in the villas and bungalows of our guests. Of course total security is impossible to maintain when we have between 15,000 and 50,000 people partying on the beach, but we honestly do our best. It is sad to say that incidences such as this do happen all over the world, but we are very aware that our island has received some negative press in the past in respect of the Full Moon party. For the next Full Moon party on October 30th we will be taking on extra security personnel and installing additional lighting.

I have taken a little while to make a statement as I needed to get ALL the facts from the police as three forces are involved-the local police here, and those on Samui and in Bangkok. There has been much speculation and many conflicting posts on Thaivisa.com, so now I am able to give accurate information, and at the same time, voicing my disgust at some of the posts, particularly one that stated “girls dress like glowing sluts”. These are young people whose average age is between 17 and 23 and are only out to enjoy what is a once in a lifetime trip for most of them. Everybody should be allowed to dress how they please without fear of intimidation. Another post suggests the accused has been made a scapegoat. This is not true. Tommy Resort has been named in all the media so obviously I find it imperative that the full truth be told. So these are the facts.

The accused WAS the perpetrator of the incident, an attempted rape and not actual rape. For that small mercy I am grateful. He has been positively I.D.’d and confessed and is now being held in custody in Bangkok awaiting trial. Ms. Havory was NOT abducted from a busy/empty/dark/lit-up beach. She told the police she entered our resort by crawling under the perimeter fencing, despite our signs which prohibit entry. She added that it was so she could collect her flip flops from the third bungalow, but as she was not a guest of the resort, I have a small problem understanding this as why would they be there in the first place? When she reached the third bungalow, the attempted rape took place. The accused has admitted the charge but he states he saw Ms. Havory with her jeans removed, going to the toilet. Whatever state of dress or undress Ms. Havory may have been in, this kind of assault is still unacceptable and should be dealt with by the full force of the law.

During the assault, she bit his lip and punched him before fleeing. She was taken to a hospital on Samui by friends and then informed the Samui Police. She left for Israel the next day. When the Koh Phangan Police came to see me on Monday (the Full Moon party was Sunday night), and told me about the assault I informed them that I had my suspicions about a member of my staff, who had suddenly decided he wanted to return to Myanmar, his home country. They then interviewed him and he confessed. Until that time, I was not aware an assault had even taken place as no complaint had been made to the police on Koh Phangan on the night.

Once again I extend my sincerest apologies for the terrible ordeal that Ms. Havory went through. Koh Phangan is as safe for Israelis to come and enjoy as for any other race and we will continue to do everything in our power to offer a secure environment as well as our usual Thai Hospitality. Statistically, Phangan is safer than Samui, Pattaya and Phuket.

For those intending to come to any Full Moon party, we offer the same advice as to those attending any kind of festival anywhere in the world. Follow the advice and we are sure you will have an amazing time at the Full Moon party.

1. DRINK SENSIBLY

2. DON’T ACCEPT DRINKS FROM STRANGERS

3. DON’T TAKE DRUGS

4. STAY WITH AT LEAST ONE FRIEND AT ALL TIMES

• Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic