Long Term Voluntering Thailand

You apply for a non-immigrant visa, the consulate will issue an 'O" category. You will need at the least a letter from the organisation where you will be volunteering for.

Once in Thailand you will need to apply for a work permit with the help of the organisation (it must be a registered organisation). Once you have the work permit you are allowed to volunteer and after being 60 days in Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay at immigration, every year again.

Biggest problem is often to find an organisation willing to do the paperwork. Many organisations, inlcuding organisations in the West that advertise volunteer projects at sometimes rediculous prices, will falsely tell you that you don't need a work permit. However, they don't face a maximum jailterm of 5 years.

You will need a work permit. ANY type of work paid or unpaid requires a work permit.

You will need all necessary support paperwork from registered charity etc to support you application.

One exception; Immigration police volunteering! At least in Phuket.

There, they do not help with the visa, nor they pay you the uniform, if needed. clap2.gif

Edited by noob7

I have been a volunteer in Thailand for two years now. Assuming you are not already in Thailand, you will need to make contact with a volunteer organisation based here in Thailand which will supply you with the supporting documentation needed which, in my case, amount to four A4 pages in Thai as well as a letter in English addressed to Visa Section of the Thai Embassy or Consulate you deal with in your country. This letter states my name, DoB, passport number, the name of the volunteer organisation and the dates of the period I am volunteering for, a description of the work I do, and a request for the issuance of a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa.

On receipt of these documents, your application form, passport and fee the Embassy will issue you with your visa. As a volunteer you will not be paid so you are not deemed to be working.

I have been a volunteer in Thailand for two years now. Assuming you are not already in Thailand, you will need to make contact with a volunteer organisation based here in Thailand which will supply you with the supporting documentation needed which, in my case, amount to four A4 pages in Thai as well as a letter in English addressed to Visa Section of the Thai Embassy or Consulate you deal with in your country. This letter states my name, DoB, passport number, the name of the volunteer organisation and the dates of the period I am volunteering for, a description of the work I do, and a request for the issuance of a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa.

On receipt of these documents, your application form, passport and fee the Embassy will issue you with your visa. As a volunteer you will not be paid so you are not deemed to be working.

Yes this may get you a visa, but what about your WP, as a WP is required whether being paid or not, you are deemed to be working in terms of the Thai labour law

• 1 month later...

I am looking at a long-term volunteering position in Thailand. Will a work permit issued by the organisation entitle me to import household goods/personal belongings without having to pay import duty/taxes?

Edited by CeeBee

I am looking at a long-term volunteering position in Thailand. Will a work permit issued by the organisation entitle me to import household goods/personal belongings without having to pay import duty/taxes?

A work permit is of course issued by the labour office.

It is a good question, on which i can't give you a definite answer. You can find the official customs website here: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects

It talks about a work permit and doesn't say anything about volunteers. So depending on the wording of the official rules you might be able to imort duty free. If not, use an agent. They normally can negotiate a very favourable fee with customs.

Without a workpermit you have been working illegally for 2 years and could be deported and face jailtime if get caught.

rolleyes.gif

As a volunteer you will not be paid so you are not deemed to be working.

-----------------------

No that is NOT true.

Any effort made in Thailand, whether you're paid or not for that effort, is regardeed as working in Thailand.

However, for most purposes, if you are working for an authorised volunteer organization with a work permit but with no "income" to tax there is simply no reason for the Thai tax people to bother you.

Obviously they can't collect "tax" on your non-existant "income" as an unpaid volunter.

But you ARE working by their definition of the law, and therefore you need a Work Permit,

If you don't have a Work Permit, all it takes is one local Poo Yai, or local politician to complain about you by name....and you're in big trouble.

That's the reality of volunteering in Thailand., especially "up-country".

thumbsup.gif