Thai Govt Winds Up Debate On Nasa's Request For Use Of U-Tapao Base

webfact

Govt winds up debate on Nasa's request for use of U-tapao base

KHANITTHA THEPPHAJORN,

CHANIKARN POONHIRUN

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The general debate on the request to use U-tapao air base for climate research by the US National Aeronautics and Space Agency (Nasa) has concluded, Parliament President Somsak Kiartsuranont said yesterday.

"I was not present at the closing - but under Article 176 of the Constitution, a general debate would end without a vote being cast," he said.

Somsak said Tuesday's House-Senate session was convened at the government's initiative to gauge the views of lawmakers on the issue.

A debate ended if and when the government decided it had gathered all pertinent information, he said.

Even though the opposition Democrats might have suggested invoking Article 190 to revive the debate by treating the issue as an international agreement, in which case a vote would be needed, only the government had the mandate to decide whether to ask for such a debate, he said.

Somsak said he understood the involvement of Parliament in the issue was over at this juncture and the government would be in charge of deciding any next move.

The government could opt to grant permission for Nasa's research, drop the issue, or revive the parliamentary debate under Article 190, he said.

Critics objected to the abrupt ending of the debate, saying lingering doubts persisted, particularly the suspicion that the US might have exploited the climate research for a spy mission.

Defence Minister Sukampol Suwanathat said the armed forces had put forward no objection to the Nasa request.

Sukampol said the military leaders did not view the research as a security issue but a scientific one.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had been very clear that the matter should not be politicised and he felt ashamed that domestic bickering had derailed the research from taking off, he said.

"I believe people fully understand the issue and only media professionals are still insisting on having doubts," he said.

The minister said the media should report the facts instead of wild speculation, such as secret deals with the US.

On her recent visit to the US, the prime minister had been told it was easier for Nasa to plan a mission to the moon than come to Thailand, he said.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said he believed Nasa had not re-applied for the use of U-Tapao.

Prayuth urged critics to restrain from churning out unsubstantiated speculation, which might prove harmful to the country.

During Tuesday's House-Senate joint session, Democrat MP Thaworn Senneam said the main Opposition party did not reject the Nasa request but wanted the government to fully disclose all pertinent documents.

Thaworn said the Democrats were rehashing questions in Parliament which were previously aired by security agencies.

For example, the government should clarify the impact of climate research on energy exploration work in the Gulf of Thailand and the involvement of an oil and gas conglomerate in the research, he said.

Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha said he believed the government had made a hasty decision to rule out the security aspect of the Nasa request.

Sirichok voiced concern that as the country took up a strategic position in geopolitics, it would be unwise to be seen as leaning toward the US at the expense of China.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said he had sought and received assurance from his Chinese counterpart that China did not oppose the research.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-04

"Critics objected to the abrupt ending of the debate, saying lingering doubts persisted, particularly the suspicion that the US might have exploited the climate research for a spy mission."

At first I thought that this must be some conspiracy theory about America launching a spy mission on China (which had no issue with it) from Thailand, however further reading made it pretty clear that some of the Thai ministers were worried that the US may consider Thailand worth spying on. This same issue came up last year, when certain ministers (not the military) were worried that the flood relief offered by the American carrier group would compromise Thailand's security by allowing the USA to "spy" on the Thai military. I'm confident that if America actually wanted to spy on Thailand they could do so at any moment and a bunch of dopey Thai ministers would never even know about it. After all, anyone wanting a closer look at the might of the Thai military need only stop in Chonburi and pay a small fee to board the mighty Chakri Naruebet.

"On her recent visit to the US, the prime minister had been told it was easier for Nasa to plan a mission to the moon than come to Thailand, he said."

cheesy.gif

Edited by Albacore

For example, the government should clarify the impact of climate research on energy exploration work in the Gulf of Thailand and the involvement of an oil and gas conglomerate in the research, he said

forgive my ignorance, but these two are related how ?...blink.png

This article has it all. The parliamentary president did not bother showing up for the conclusion which for some reason finished 'abruptly', unresolved.

Then we have an admission - "lingering doubts persisted, particularly the suspicion that the US might have exploited the climate research for a spy mission." I mean, is there any doubt?

And finally - "it would be unwise to be seen as leaning toward the US at the expense of China." Again, a very true statement, don't piss off China, it will most likely be the worlds reserve currency in the not too distant future and Thailand as a fellow Asian country needs to remain allied to Asians not US - a proven war monger amongst other 'dodgy' things.

This article has it all. The parliamentary president did not bother showing up for the conclusion which for some reason finished 'abruptly', unresolved.

Then we have an admission - "lingering doubts persisted, particularly the suspicion that the US might have exploited the climate research for a spy mission." I mean, is there any doubt?

And finally - "it would be unwise to be seen as leaning toward the US at the expense of China." Again, a very true statement, don't piss off China, it will most likely be the worlds reserve currency in the not too distant future and Thailand as a fellow Asian country needs to remain allied to Asians not US - a proven war monger amongst other 'dodgy' things.

What on earth do you think Thailand has that the US would spend 10's of millions of dollars, to spy on?

What on earth do you think Thailand has that the US would spend 10's of millions of dollars, to spy on?

Thailand has absolutely nothing worth looking at... It is the proximity to China and from a Thai airbase within a 'friendly' country, that surveillance can take place. I thought that was more than obvious. I guess not to some people. South China Sea territorial conflict - not forgetting oil exploration, Taiwan to be maintained as friendly to US thus US needs to keep an 'eye' on it, military movements etc. But if you think the US is interested in 'weather' ...

If they have to debate the issue and cannot make a decision; then the hell with them. I am sure the U.S.A. has bigger and better priorities than

establishing a nasa research site here. Also, there are other places in the asian arena that are positioned just as well. y

The U.S.A. has other far sophisticated equiment to spy on China, and I am quite sure they don't need debaters in Thailand who can't make a decision anyway whether poop or go blind is inconsequential any way to the goals of NASA or the U.S. GOVERNMENT as a whole.coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

Morons the lot of you. Where do you think you got your guns and tanks from? AMERICA. YOU HAVE NOTHING WORTH SPYING ON!

Your army is so out dated Australia could invade you. If they was up to know good im sure the CIA would just bribe your greedy hands..

Now stop acting all political for China.

Edited by Sayonarax
  • Like 1

"Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said he believed Nasa had not re-applied for the use of U-Tapao."

Because NASA has moved on and does not care about stupid politics from a country that can't even sort out its own problems. Stop trying to suck up to China, you seriously dont think that the United States has satellites that can see anywhere in China. Get real.

Edited by inthefareast

Government welcomes NASA project on Thai soil

image_201210041251102A53DDFE-F176-FF3E-0B50769155FFF020.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 – Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat affirmed today that Thailand is willing to permit the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to use U-tapao military airport in Rayong as a springboard for climate studies.

He said an agreement on the studies, which will last three months, will be disclosed to the public, adding that he is ready to explain it to Thai public for better understanding.

Brushing aside an earlier report that China opposed the NASA project in Thailand, the defence minister said the US space agency had once conducted similar studies from a base in China with the cooperation of Chinese scientists.

“Other countries which NASA aircraft will fly over, such as Cambodia, never complained but we are so disturbed [by it],” he said.

NASA called off the climate studies at U-tapao airport earlier this year after Thailand failed to approve the project.

The NASA project returned to the limelight again in a parliamentary no-voting debate on Tuesday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-04

So based on the post above, they are giving permission for a project, and informing the public about a project which already been completed by NASA or will be due to be completed very shortly if I remember the time frame given by NASA earlier on in the year...blink.png

So for the purposes of 2012 they have approved something about nothing !

Glad to see the proper use of tax payers money in resolving pressing social issues in Thailand ...clap2.gif

So based on the post above, they are giving permission for a project, and informing the public about a project which already been completed by NASA or will be due to be completed very shortly if I remember the time frame given by NASA earlier on in the year...blink.png

So for the purposes of 2012 they have approved something about nothing !

Glad to see the proper use of tax payers money in resolving pressing social issues in Thailand ...clap2.gif

As stated, the project was called off (3+ months ago) and was not started and has hence has no completion date because it was scrubbed before it even got started. The project requires measuring climate effects during the monsoon season. It doesn't have to be the 2012 monsoon season and the project could certainly happen next year if the US Government still has the same motivations in 2013.

Earlier quote when project cancelled ...

"It is too early to say at this time whether resources will be available to revisit the project next year," U.S. Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler told The Associated Press
Edited by Nisa

"Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said he believed Nasa had not re-applied for the use of U-Tapao."

Because NASA has moved on and does not care about stupid politics from a country that can't even sort out its own problems. Stop trying to suck up to China, you seriously dont think that the United States has satellites that can see anywhere in China. Get real.

Can see everywhere in China but not see weather in SE Asia?

They are going to explain a scientific research project to the public. I will have to watch that.

Now were sitting comfortably, then I'll begin.

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was an ally called the usa, and they had a thing called NASA.......

I am sure Science and Technology Minister Plopadop will come up with a suitable fairy tale

Can see everywhere in China but not see weather in SE Asia?

Are you serious...looking at the ground with a satellite is hardly the same as analyzing the weather which is not exactly visible and extremely three dimensional. Sure you can see a storm or front from space...but they still use weather balloons to tell what is happening in the atmosphere. To assume and antique U2 flown by NASA is a threat to national security is just plain dumb. Same as turning down emergency assistance. There are joint military training and cooperation between the US and Thailand. I have military friends that have done training out of that same base. This is just silly

They are going to explain a scientific research project to the public. I will have to watch that.

Now were sitting comfortably, then I'll begin.

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was an ally called the usa, and they had a thing called NASA.......

should spell it Nasa (Thai style)

"It is too early to say at this time whether resources will be available to revisit the project next year," U.S. Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler told The Associated Press

Translation - You blew your chance.

Who blew their chance NASA? Wasn't it them wanting something from Thailand? Thailand didn't ask for them to come and it is very naive to believe the US wanted to come here for the purpose of helping countries in the SE Asia. Sounds to me NASA needs to get its act together and start planning things a bit better. Absolutely idiotic to believe it is not something Thailand not only has a right to debate but an obligation to debate in terms of allowing a foreign government agency, specifically one that is involved in military spy operations, operate within its borders.

"On her recent visit to the U.S., the prime minister had been told it was EASIER FOR NASA TO PLAN A MISSION TO THE MOON, than come to Thailand."coffee1.gif

That says it ALL!! Thailand I am sure has lost more historically thru indecision than they will ever gain

thru making any.

coffee1.gif

Edited by jerrysteve

Translation - You blew your chance.

Who blew their chance NASA? Wasn't it them wanting something from Thailand? Thailand didn't ask for them to come and it is very naive to believe the US wanted to come here for the purpose of helping countries in the SE Asia. Sounds to me NASA needs to get its act together and start planning things a bit better. Absolutely idiotic to believe it is not something Thailand not only has a right to debate but an obligation to debate in terms of allowing a foreign government agency, specifically one that is involved in military spy operations, operate within its borders.

I think you are confusing NASA with the CIA.

NASA- science researchers

CIA- spy stuff

AS for NASA's planning, I do believe they requested the use of UTP many many months before. It was Thailand that could not get their shit together and give them a yes or a no.

If you are another one that thinks NASA somehow wants to use Thailand for a spy operation. I will say again, the US does not ask anybody if they can do an operation. They just do it. They have that capability, and I am sure the military and the CIA have way better toys than NASA.

Thailand has absolutely nothing worth looking at... It is the proximity to China and from a Thai airbase within a 'friendly' country, that surveillance can take place. I thought that was more than obvious. I guess not to some people. South China Sea territorial conflict - not forgetting oil exploration, Taiwan to be maintained as friendly to US thus US needs to keep an 'eye' on it, military movements etc. But if you think the US is interested in 'weather' ...

As a matter of fact NASA is very into weather, and always has been. If the US wants to spy on somebody, they will do it anytime, and does not need Thailand to base a spy operation, or use a 50 year old converted spy plane to do it.

With all the sat the US has, why would they need "use a 50 year old converted spy plane to do it." Where you get your info from?

Wow NASA a spy agency!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As a matter of fact NASA is very into weather, and always has been. If the US wants to spy on somebody, they will do it anytime, and does not need Thailand to base a spy operation, or use a 50 year old converted spy plane to do it.

Interesting that an agency like NASA responsible for so many patents and inventions from the micro chip to military drones couldn't figure out how to use the civilian BKK or DM airports (minutes away) for this non-secret missions but instead needed to be based within a military section of an airport built by the US Military during the Vietnam war.

Interesting too that the US can spy on anyone anytime but they use these spy drones both foreign and domestically that need to take off relatively close to their target for both timing and range restrictions.

It is absolutely ignorant to not question the US motives and even more ignorant to believe you know what technology NASA has or is working on that they could be using the Monsoons to hide behind. There is not a country in the world that would not be suspicious of such a request and not a country with any back bone what so ever that wouldn't want to discuss such a matter before giving approval.

To believe that NASA is not an agency whose main purpose is technology development for the military/defense of the USA is extremely naive.

Edited by Nisa

SingleBarrel

I did not say NASA was a spy agency.

If you bothered to read or know anything about this story. NASA converted a old U-2 spy plane to collect data on upper atmospheric weather conditions.

You can come back to the discussion after you have read up a bit, and actually have some knowledge on the subject.thumbsup.gif