Unsafe Buildings? Call 1166 To Report Unsafe Structures

Lite Beer

Unsafe buildings? Call 1166 to report unsafe structures

image_201210041338562A7F9955-C612-CD04-0013FC8E83E263FD.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 – Thailand’s Consumer Protection Board (CPB) launched its building safety programme today, urging the public to call its hotline on risk, damage or possible accidents from buildings.

CPB secretary general Jirachai Moolthongroei said the number of high-rise buildings has mushroomed, especially in Bangkok where more than 3 million buildings, about 3,000 of which are high rises or big projects, are located.

Fires erupted at more than 180 tall buildings last year, but the city’s fire-fighting trucks are capable of handling a maximum of 10 storeys. Some buildings are accessible only by narrow lanes, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

The agency signed a memorandum of understanding with the Safety First Association and the Building Safety Inspectors and Officers Association to protect consumers by using the CPB hotline 1166. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-04

but the city’s fire-fighting trucks are capable of handling a maximum of 10 storeys

Well as a suggestion buy longer ladders then...whistling.gif

excellent graft potential me thinks for any self respecting politian...procure ladders which are 500m long...problem solved...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

3 million buildings ?

Is it possible do you think that the jouro writing this piece pulled this number out of his or her bottom ?

Don't about the 3-million but I believe Bangkok ranks in the top 10 in the world for cities with the most skyscrapers.

If the fire engines can only cope with ten floors then any building over ten floors is unsafe.

I will start phoning now, is it a free number ? wacko.png

That is typical of firetrucks around the world. The ladders are about 100 feet or equivalent to 10 floors.

3 million buildings ?

Is it possible do you think that the jouro writing this piece pulled this number out of his or her bottom ?

Don't about the 3-million but I believe Bangkok ranks in the top 10 in the world for cities with the most skyscrapers.

See http://en.wikipedia....ost_skyscrapers.

If you count buildings over 100m, then Bangkok is 6th, with 355 buildings.

Edited by davejones

Although there are numerous fire safety issues ignored in Thailand, it has a very low rate of fire deaths compared to other countries.

Cooking with gas instead of firewood is the biggest reason why.

Building safety is a never ending issue. If you can pay off inspectors and modify buildings at your will, bad accidents are definitely more likely.

simple really.

Although there are numerous fire safety issues ignored in Thailand, it has a very low rate of fire deaths compared to other countries.

Building safety is a never ending issue. If you can pay off inspectors and modify buildings at your will, bad accidents are definitely more likely.

simple really.

I don't think the US is doing much cooking now a days with firewood in homes and businesses but they have a much higher rate of deaths by fires and the leading cause of home fires is cooking but the leading cause of death by fire is by careless smoking. I think Thailand structures are generally more resistant to fires from things such as being built of concrete vs wood to not having carpeting and not requiring heat. Not sure about Arson here but in the US it is the 3rd leading cause of home fires and deaths but even if arson numbers are the same here (which I doubt - not as much insurance fraud) the fires will often spread slower because of the things previously mentioned.

• Like 1

Well I am sure the electrical wiring in 99% of all Thai buildings is unsafe, most lack grounding and all using wire over its rated capacity.. On a recent trip to HomePro I looked for an extension cord, all have three prong receptacles but NONE have a three prong plug, so no grounding. I suspect if I cut the wire I would find only two conductors. I was then going to fabricate my own extension cord, but while I could find a three conductor cord, I could not find any three conductor plugs. I will try a shop near my home that supplies electricians, but I don't hold much hope in that either.

A couple weeks back the builder sent an electrician to disconnect our house from the builders service and connect it to the utility mains, the main is probably 6 gauge (US terminology, here they use something like 2.5 mm), the line into the house is probably 8 gauge, THE ELECTRICIAN (HYSTERICAL COUGHING) CONNECTED THE TWO USING 12 GAUGE WIRE.

We have a canister vacuum, run it for about 20 minutes then feel the cord, it is extremely hot, the wire is probably 12 or 14 gauge. So imagine feeding the electrical needs of a house running, a fridge, a water pump, two or three air conditioners, a rice cooker, an induction stove, a vent hood, a microwave, a big screen TV, two laptop computers, an electric kettle, a water heater, a washing machine, and several lights all through two 12 gauge wires! That is typical in Thailand. A high quality 12 gauge wire (which I am sure you don't get here) is rated for a maximum of a 240 volts, 20 amps. If I could read Thai, and if they actually put the current draw on the labels, I would add up the current draw of all these appliances, I am sure they would exceed the 12 gauge rating. We have already popped the circuit breaker in the kitchen a couple times. In the infinite wisdom of Thai's, there is ONE CIRCUIT in the kitchen, this circuit also provides power to a light and an outlet at the back of the house. The water pump and the washing machine are connected to this same outlet. The longer the wire run the larger the diameter should be. Of course that would require some learnin ons that purts of thai electricians.

Edited by vijer

simple really.

I don't think the US is doing much cooking now a days with firewood in homes and businesses but they have a much higher rate of deaths by fires and the leading cause of home fires is cooking but the leading cause of death by fire is by careless smoking. I think Thailand structures are generally more resistant to fires from things such as being built of concrete vs wood to not having carpeting and not requiring heat. Not sure about Arson here but in the US it is the 3rd leading cause of home fires and deaths but even if arson numbers are the same here (which I doubt - not as much insurance fraud) the fires will often spread slower because of the things previously mentioned.

Houses in the USA are often made of wood.

Thailand does ok in comparison with many of other 3rd or developing world countries because the people do not use wood for cooking and many of its buildings are concrete.

That said, we saw what happens when people use foam when they aren't meant to recently. everywhere can improve, its a continuous process and yes fires here appear relatively rare but in public areas regs are haphazardly enforced.

Fires erupted at more than 180 tall buildings last year,

Without even checking I would bet that this is more than London, Sydney, Miami, Singapore and Toronto?coffee1.gif

Well I am sure the electrical wiring in 99% of all Thai buildings is unsafe, most lack grounding and all using wire over its rated capacity.. On a recent trip to HomePro I looked for an extension cord, all have three prong receptacles but NONE have a three prong plug, so no grounding. I suspect if I cut the wire I would find only two conductors. I was then going to fabricate my own extension cord, but while I could find a three conductor cord, I could not find any three conductor plugs. I will try a shop near my home that supplies electricians, but I don't hold much hope in that either.

Hi Vijer

Our local Tesco store in Phetchabun sells 3-wire extension leads (look for the 3-pin plug at the end of the cable) and (small) 3-wire plugs (38 Baht), with a tell-tale LED bulb indicating power is on. Big C also sell the extension leads, but haven't seen the same 3-pin plugs there.

The main thing to be aware of is that the Thai system is wired differently to the UK - the live (switched line) and neutral wires are connected to the opposite pins to those in the UK (so be careful to make appropriate adjustments when using a UK-purchased extension leads/equipment with UK plugs in the system)!

Also, some of the Thai 3-way extension leads, although they may be surge-suppressed, are not (overload) fuse protected.

Regards

R21

Edited by Route21

Another case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Prevision at the planning stage should have taken the various scenarios into focus however, they were blinded by the potential of a fast buck. Building and fire prevention codes exist however they are easily overlooked for personal profit. How many of you live in appartments in Bangkok or Thailand for that mater who can put their hand on their heart and say that the sprinkles system installed in their homes actually works of for that mater is connected to anything. I lived in one block near Laksi for a few years and when we did have a fire of some proportion it ws found that appart from the nice red pipes there was NO system. Some of the nice red pipes were even found to be blue PVC pipes painted fire red. Plastic sprinkler pipes !! Oh yeah.

You always wonder what the action will be....

Ever since they completed Terminal 21, I have been looking at the building next to it's car park entrance opposite the Westin. When they built the car park entrance, they cut the fire escape of the next building off - sure, it might have been on their land, so the other owner is in the wrong, but it would be a nice surprise in the middle of the night with a fire downstairs......

Good hunting everyone - I look forward to stories of more examples.....

A couple weeks back the builder sent an electrician to disconnect our house from the builders service and connect it to the utility mains, the main is probably 6 gauge (US terminology, here they use something like 2.5 mm), the line into the house is probably 8 gauge, THE ELECTRICIAN (HYSTERICAL COUGHING) CONNECTED THE TWO USING 12 GAUGE WIRE.

We have a canister vacuum, run it for about 20 minutes then feel the cord, it is extremely hot, the wire is probably 12 or 14 gauge. So imagine feeding the electrical needs of a house running, a fridge, a water pump, two or three air conditioners, a rice cooker, an induction stove, a vent hood, a microwave, a big screen TV, two laptop computers, an electric kettle, a water heater, a washing machine, and several lights all through two 12 gauge wires! That is typical in Thailand. A high quality 12 gauge wire (which I am sure you don't get here) is rated for a maximum of a 240 volts, 20 amps. If I could read Thai, and if they actually put the current draw on the labels, I would add up the current draw of all these appliances, I am sure they would exceed the 12 gauge rating. We have already popped the circuit breaker in the kitchen a couple times. In the infinite wisdom of Thai's, there is ONE CIRCUIT in the kitchen, this circuit also provides power to a light and an outlet at the back of the house. The water pump and the washing machine are connected to this same outlet. The longer the wire run the larger the diameter should be. Of course that would require some learnin ons that purts of thai electricians.

I've had the same experiences - actually I chased one electrician out of our house when he was installing a new water heater and went to cut off the ground wire (yes, the house is fully grounded and tested regularly, in my misspent youth I was qualified in a western nation at one point).

HOWEVER - you just have to look hard enough - the electrician that did the wiring for my in-laws house (they knocked down and built a new one) did a first-class job. Three storey house with 12 breakers per floor (divided into lights, power, aircons and water heaters) all labelled correctly, wires not tight in the ceiling spaces (sufficient slack) - and of course safety cutoff rated for the correct amps for the entire house. I was stunned and amazed while checking through it, and when I went to thank him, he was busy labelling every breaker with the plug points id.

Of course, maybe he was used to doing commercial premises, but I have rarely seen that sort of care on residential installations in the west.

Cheers

Without even checking I would bet that this is more than London, Sydney, Miami, Singapore and Toronto?coffee1.gif

Didn't say anything about number of fires but you might want to actually check as fires in buildings don't mean the building burned down.

Just some numbers for consideration ...

The number of house fires in London has also fallen, by more than a quarter (26 per cent), from 8,940 in 2001 to 6,618 in 2011.

Overview

• In 2007 local authority fire and rescue services attended 804,100 fires or

false alarms in the
United Kingdom
, 8 per cent less than in 2006 (para 1.1).

• A total of 384,600 fires were attended, 10 per cent less than in 2006.

Around 76 per cent of all the fires were outdoor fires (291,600), e.g.

vehicles, refuse, grassland.
A total of 52,700 (14%) were in dwellings
(para

1.1, 1.2 & 5.1).

For all the sarcasm that TV posters use, perhaps one should get a brain, leave off the beer and think...... difficult. (I know, but read on) .............. millions of kids (as yet uncorrupted) go to schools with 4 (sometimes 5) floors and about 150 kids studying per floor. One staircase serves all floors.... one fire.....one earth quake ..... and they're all dead!!!!! No escape route.... no emergency escape....... no life. I'm talking about government schools so, maybe they should start looking at their own installations first and then at commercial buildings ........ sorry to interrupt your beer drinking , you may now continue......

Didn't say anything about number of fires but you might want to actually check as fires in buildings don't mean the building burned down.

Just some numbers for consideration ...

The number of house fires in London has also fallen, by more than a quarter (26 per cent), from 8,940 in 2001 to 6,618 in 2011.

Overview

• In 2007 local authority fire and rescue services attended 804,100 fires or

false alarms in the
United Kingdom
, 8 per cent less than in 2006 (para 1.1).

• A total of 384,600 fires were attended, 10 per cent less than in 2006.

Around 76 per cent of all the fires were outdoor fires (291,600), e.g.

vehicles, refuse, grassland.
A total of 52,700 (14%) were in dwellings
(para

1.1, 1.2 & 5.1).

the word you are looking for is " doesn't" . Thank you professor