Need Help With Buying An Old Pickup (2000 - 2004)

muratremix

I am looking for a diesel pickup for my mother in law, living in a village in Isaan. There is no LPG station nearby (closest one is 25km away) so it has to be diesel.

They will use pickup to carry fertilizer, water, people to Garden sometimes which is about 5-10 km away (very bad road).

I decided to buy singlecab, which is cheaper and suitable for the work. However, I need more information regarding cost of maintenance, availability of parts, engine power etc. My budget is 200,000 thb max.

What I found so far is:

* Toyota hilux tiger 2000 model, 2.5l non-turbo, non-d4d diesel engine (same engine in mighty-x perhaps?) which should be 85-90 ps but I'm not sure. For this price, its hard to catch 2001-2003 hilux tiger d4d which is 102 hp engine.

* Mitsubishi strada 2001-2004 models, 2.5l diesel engine (85-90 ps or so.). However the one I inspected had very noisy engine. Hilux tiger diesel sounded much better.

* Nissan frontier 2001-2003 models, 2.7l turbo diesel engine (97 ps).

* Ford Ranger 2002-2005 models, 2.5l non-turbo, 12valve diesel engine (82 ps according to Bluebook, 77 hp on internet). Ford seems to be a duplicate ot Mazda B2500, including engine and parts. So servicing it with mazda parts should be possible in theory.

From what I have seen, most appealing pickup was Ford Ranger 2005 model, however I'm still thinking how can you carry 1000-1500 kgs in this with 82 Hp low power engine? Or does it have a lower fuel consumption when you carry only people or fertilizer (100-200 kgs load max)?

Nissan frontier 2.7 seems to have very inefficient engine despite to the fact it is turbo diesel 2700 cc, but only 97 ps.

I also looked 2003 isuzu pickup with 3.0 turbo diesel engine (should be 163 ps or so). However it is an overkill for the purpose. I'm afraid it will consume too much fuel when driving around.

I'm looking for advice, opinions, experiences with one of these pickups above. Thank you for your patience.

With a budget of 200,000 baht I would be looking for the older generation diesels with out common rail fuel system. The single cab, work trucks for this amount of money will be well used. The common rail engines rebuilds or used replacements are expensive (80, - 100,000 baht). Common rail diesels are much more powerful and great to drive on the highway but not really critical for a work truck on a farm or bad roads.

I have had the older Mitsubishi, Toyota and Fords as work trucks with the non turbo engines, usually around 80hp as you say. These are fine for driving around a farm or work site or for dawdling along local roads but they will struggle if you want to drive >100km/h a lot or drag 1 tonne loads on the highway up hills, (Are there any hills in Isaan)?

The turbo versions are a little better but the turbos can die prematurely if the previous owner has not maintained air filter and engine oil.

Personally I would avoid 1.5 tonne loads. I know Thais do it all the time but these pick ups get horrible suspension sway and marginal steering if the load is heavy and bulky or set back.

The Ford and the Mitsubishi we had suffered less rust than the Hilux and D-max but that may not be typical. The Mitsubishi did have a noisy engine (new Tritons still do).

For used trucks I reckon Ford Rangers are better value, you don't get much for the premium paid for old Toyotas and Isuzus in Thailand. I have heard stories about expensive Ford parts but we have not found this for the Rangers. Occasionally Ford will sell an parts assembly where Isuzu or Toyota would sell cheaper piece parts but with an old truck you can avoid that with non genuine or used parts.

Finding a good used car in Thailand is difficult but finding a good, cheap used pick up is even more difficult so good luck with your search.

• Like 1

I would add that trying to buy a used pickup is often a poisoned choice. Indeed, the Thai tend to overload their pickups, thus destroying suspensions, killing the motor, etc... I've seen some real horror sights on Thai roads (a pickup with an almost flat rear wheel, loaded up high, and bending dangerously to the left). I overtook it as soon as I could, as I was fearing this thing would crumble on me. biggrin.png

With your budget, it is very likely that you will get an overworked, tired motor, which will need a lot of overhaul costs (might be cheaper, on the long haul, to just buy a new single cab Isuzu?). Sometimes, you must planify and waiting a bit might yield better results than the immediate satisfaction.

Thinking about the power, it is interesting to see that older technology motors develop less hp than the newer ones (I might be comparing apples and pears, but a 2.5 L PJS motor develops 178 hp compared to the measly 77 quoted by the OP for the 2.5 L 2005 Ranger).

The previous generation Mitsubushi strada / Triton used the 4D56 engine with single cam head, mechanical fuel injection and no turbo. This engine had various capacities and power ratings ranging from 75hp. They are simple, durable engines.

The current version of the Triton and PJS use the same basic engine but with DOHC, 4 valve head, Variable Turbo, inter-cooling and common rail fuel system at 178hp.

The other manufacturers have used the same technology for similar gains in power in the last 10 years. The performance of the new engines has transformed pick up trucks from slugs to reasonable road vehicles. However nothing comes free, the new engines are much more highly stressed and less tolerant of poor conditions (dirty air, fuel, heat etc) and more expensive to repair.

Thank you for contributions. It seems I can live without D4D or newer common rail engine. To be honest, I will not even drive this pickup (younger brother in law is going to drive). But as an electronic / gadget / technology enthusiast, I like to research before buy anything.

I also wonder how is these old, non turbo, non common rail diesel engines consume fuel? Any figures?

We did not drive our old Mitsu on the highway much but I think it used to do around 10 km/L.

In comparison the 2.5L Ford Ranger common rail does about 12.5 km/L on the highway.

The newer engines are direct injection and the common rail fuel systems give better control so they are more efficient. However they have a lot more power which most people will tend to use, at least partially which absorbs some of the saving.

Edited by Jitar

There are alot of old pickups with swapped 1JZ / 1J engine + LPG conversion. I haven't considered them because 2.5L V6 engine on gasohol should consume much more than 2.5l diesel engine. Of course if you have access to LPG station nearby, 1JZ + LPG seems to be a better choice (some of them comes with Auto gear, which also a bonus).

It seems I'll buy ford ranger 2005 or toyota hilux tiger 2000/2001 old diesel engine (2L engine I guess).

2.5 diesel engine, service parts are much cheaper on the Mazda/Ford, the Toyota is one of the most expensive..

Don't forget the Mazda Fighter, maybe find that Mazda and Ford have not been used as much for hard work, better condition..

Nissan Big-M Frontier diesel Di engine.. 200k will get a 2003 - 2005 model ??

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

i have a 2.5 Ford Ranger 4 door.. it cruises nicely at 90-100kmh getting about 12km per litre. I do not tend to carry much weight but the family took it out 7 people in it it was a bit sluggish but still got along nicely. It has low gearing to compensate for the low power.

try and get the 2004/2005 model year much nicer interior. My vote goes to Ranger/Fighter

i have a 2.5 Ford Ranger 4 door.. it cruises nicely at 90-100kmh getting about 12km per litre. I do not tend to carry much weight but the family took it out 7 people in it it was a bit sluggish but still got along nicely. It has low gearing to compensate for the low power.

try and get the 2004/2005 model year much nicer interior. My vote goes to Ranger/Fighter

is it diesel engine 12v, 82hp or turbo diesel?

2.5 diesel engine, service parts are much cheaper on the Mazda/Ford, the Toyota is one of the most expensive..

Don't forget the Mazda Fighter, maybe find that Mazda and Ford have not been used as much for hard work, better condition..

Nissan Big-M Frontier diesel Di engine.. 200k will get a 2003 - 2005 model ??

i also checked frontier. it comes with td27 - 97ps engine. However i havent found a decent one yet. Also, somebody from thaivisa was complaining about fuel consumption of nissan frontier 2.7.

is it diesel engine 12v, 82hp or turbo diesel?

its the non turbo..i think the last of the tractor engines before they went to commonrail. My friend has an older turbo-ed one and he is surprised how much low end mine has.. but over about 80kmh he pulls away.. they are not fast, not elegant in the suspension dept BUT they are cheap. even if you have to get all 4 shocks changed its about 2,500b at BQUICK. Or full service including cam belt change and i think front pads..6,800b

as i said cheap as chips.

not a recommendation just experience:

Bought a 2 door standard Y2K Mazda Fighter B250 in 2005 for 298kbt with only 11k on the clock and still smelt new....from a small dealer in Phuket.

Now has 168k on the clock.

What have I had fixed? ( most work done at Firestone shop)

Nothing engine wise except for oil changes

New mid point transmission universal joint 1200bt?

New brake master cylinder 800bt?

New Clutch slave cylinder 500bt?

1 new front disk and pads ( never heard the tell tale so scored to shit below skim limit) 1200bt?

two new batteries

Two sets of tyres 9600bt each set ( Goodrich)

Replaced rear end rubber bushes on springs and shocks less than 1kbt Due for new shocks all round now methinks

Replaced rubber bushes in front wishbones last week 1200baht

Both electric window switches Drivers was 4000bt, passenger 2000bt..AAAH!

Replaced tailgate handle as I broke it trying to open when bed full of sand. 3000bt I think.

Used it while building our house, carried everything from roof tiles to bricks, cement etc.

Steering very light when loaded down but engine performed well even getting up the hill to our house site.

Now used for carting rubber on the farm

In short very satisfied..a great work horse considering my abuse of the vehicle..in retrospect would have bought a 4WD though

It is the shop now to get a full cosmetic repaint and dent job courtesy of 1st class insurance .....prior to selling..... whenever the fricking 3.2 4x4 BT50 is available, maybe go Isuzu or Vigo though!!smile.png

You should be able to pick up a similar vehicle for around 150k methinks although the ks would be high perhaps. Think diesels in general are all but indestructible?

check out TALADROD.COM

I check taladrod and one2car almost everyday. One2car serves to car dealers, where I found most of the pickups. Good bargains on Taladrod are either reserved (phone number hidden) or pickups are very bad in shape. Still, I use it a price reference point :)

check out TALADROD.COM

I check taladrod and one2car almost everyday. One2car serves to car dealers, where I found most of the pickups. Good bargains on Taladrod are either reserved (phone number hidden) or pickups are very bad in shape. Still, I use it a price reference point smile.png

And a good laugh laugh.png at the unsold ones pricesrolleyes.gif

Not diesel, but much newer Suzuki Carry... 08/09 for the 200k ?

Problem with suzuki carry is its a city pickup. Not suitable for roads in remote villages. I wonder if anybody use it for this kinda purpose?

Around the Villages where I live most water [big bottles[ places use the Suzuki Carry, they have a rack in the back so bottles are stacked upright 2 high, so has a lot of weight when starting out..............and some of the roads between Villages around here, well are they what we would call roads at all ? a lot of them were in bad condition before the Floods last year, still not repaired, noticed yesterday going to a Village near me, someone has put sandbags in some of the very deep holes.... not a lot can be done were 1/2 the road has fallen in the Dykes..

There a a couple of places that use the DFM, only bottles upright and just one high....... guess as there so narrow they can drive/weave around all the holes.. 280,000 baht brand new.......... problem is they run on LPG or for 295,000 baht are fitted with NGV..

I bought 2005 (realized it is november 2004 after bought) ford ranger singlecab for 185.000 thb.

One owner, 289000 km (not a dealbreaker on old, non turbo, non common rail diesel engines), original paint, power wheel, newish tires. There is also metal roof which is kinda heavy. I managed to get it serviced for free in car tent (change oil, oil filter, timing belt, air filter)

Car is in very good shape, compared to several other pickups I've seen.

Fuel consumption seems high. Around 50-55 lt for driving 450km from Bangkok to our Village. It could be dropped if we removed heavy roof I guess.

Edited by muratremix

I bought 2005 (realized it is november 2004 after bought) ford ranger singlecab for 185.000 thb.

One owner, 289000 km (not a dealbreaker on old, non turbo, non common rail diesel engines), original paint, power wheel, newish tires. There is also metal roof which is kinda heavy. I managed to get it serviced for free in car tent (change oil, oil filter, timing belt, air filter)

Car is in very good shape, compared to several other pickups I've seen.

Fuel consumption seems high. Around 50-55 lt for driving 450km from Bangkok to our Village. It could be dropped if we removed heavy roof I guess.

you can tell if 2004/2005 by if it has a green led and switch for the air con.. early ones didn't.. well done on your purchase

I really like the Tiger. thumbsup.gif

Me too, but the Tigers in the 200,000 baht price range are pretty rough from what I have seen.

Good luck with your truck Muratremix.

I use to own the Tiger for 7 years...I've sold it 2 years ago,but from what I see available for sale now,the price hasn't drop at all...amazing! It is an opinion,that that was the best build Toyota truck model so far....you can probably buy a '05 Vigo cheaper than '03-'04 Tiger...smile.png

Me too, but the Tigers in the 200,000 baht price range are pretty rough from what I have seen.

I use to own the Tiger for 7 years...I've sold it 2 years ago,but from what I see available for sale now,the price hasn't drop at all...amazing! It is an opinion,that that was the best build Toyota truck model so far....you can probably buy a '05 Vigo cheaper than '03-'04 Tiger...smile.png

Remember that the Vigo may not look as butch as the Tiger but the Vigo has a far stronger chassis. thumbsup.gif

Remember that the Vigo may not look as butch as the Tiger but the Vigo has a far stronger chassis. thumbsup.gif

...don't know about the chassis,but from what I've heard they use thinner sheet metal on the Vigo tongue.png

A reliable car is a Mitsubishi L 200. You can go for the 2,500 or 2,800 cc version. A good one isn't easy to find, but it's worth looking for one.

Just in my opinion better than Ford, Toyota and Mazda.