Chromium Crashes On 12.04 Lts

lazygourmet

For the last few days Chromium is crashing at random intervals for apparently no reason.

Just a bit frustrating because it takes only a few seconds to get it restored... but still annoying, anyway!

After some google search, I found plenty of different answers from stop sync, upgrade to 64bits... to switch back to firefox.

Being a newbie -I've just started using Ubuntu a year ago with 11.10- I did not look further on more technical forums.

Any idea?

I would purge (ie. complete uninstallation), then do a clean reinstallion.

At the terminal, (ctrl+alt+t), type sudo apt-get purge chromium-browser

Enter your password when prompted.

Then just go to synaptic package manager and search for chromium (or chrome)

Chromium appears to be stable at present.

Following another advice that I found on Ubuntu community support, I moved back -as well- to the previous kernel... but no more update.

Then, I will give a chance to 12.10 when I'll be back from my well deserved holidays cool.png

Just one more question for an Acer laptop I5 - 8gb ram - 64bits :

Will it make a huge difference by installing a 64bits version instead of 32bits... for a "basic user" like me?

Chromium appears to be stable at present.

Following another advice that I found on Ubuntu community support, I moved back -as well- to the previous kernel...

Frankly, I dont think that would be kernel related.

Simple things you can do when you have recurring software crashes:

start it from a terminal, you *may* get interesting information when it crashes

start it with a fresh profile (i.e. backup your related dotfiles, chromium's are in ~/.config/chromium)

start it without any plugins (e.g. flash)
Just one more question for an Acer laptop I5 - 8gb ram - 64bits :

Will it make a huge difference by installing a 64bits version instead of 32bits... for a "basic user" like me?

No it won't make a huge difference but at least you won't use PAE anymore. IIRC it's enabled in ubuntu i686 stock kernel and PAE has a slight performance impact.

/edit: typo

Edited by urandom

I was using Ubuntu, then went over to mint, now using Ub derivatives which are less cluttered with software, and thus faster. Check www.distrowatch.com to see what is available ie. the .iso file for trialling/installing in virtualbox, or from a usb stick.

Google 'unetbootin' if interested, so easy to put another linux on a usb, create a (say) 20 Gb partition on your machine, then install another linux system in parallel with Ub. Zorin 6 lite acts a bit like windows and is fast, while bodhi linux is v fast.

So, I have win7 Starter, + the above two Ub derivatives on my old machine (intel atom processor, 2Gb RAM etc). I only use chrome browser. By logging in with a gmail address, have chrome synchronised on all three systems ie. bookmarks are uniform, only the history is different for each OS.

Never had a problem with chrome crashing (but can't guarantee that is due to my configuration) AA

• 2 months later...

My problem is not so much Chromium crashing as Flash crashing and I get the "He's dead, Jim" message. I had to give up trying to play the Zynga game Cafe World. It just freezes everything after a while. Of course I'm running an Acer Aspire M-1610 desktop machine with only 1 Gig of RAM. "Only" 1 Gig? Furchrissake, I used to run an IBM AT with 640K of RAM and thought that was the bees knees. This is Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), it shouldn't need more than 25 Meg of RAM. I dont have a ton of stuff installed. By the way, I really prefer Firefox, a lot, but I was hoping Chromium would run better.