Living Off Your Investments ...

"Im a 26 year old male that resides in canada. A net worth of approx 330,000 (My province is BOOMING with oil and gas plants springing up everywhere) My house has increased 50K which I plan to sell after I hold onto it for the full year and I have stock options currently worth 60K that will vest in april 2008. Aprill 2008 I am SERIOUSLY thinking about at the very least semi-retiring with around 440,000CAD. Id like to teach english to all the kiddies (mostly so I wont spend money) Just curious about all your thought on this. Im pretty sure that I can live off 50K THB/Month as I have already built a house in TL (although small)."

It doesn't matter what you plan to have when you retire - all that matters is what you actually do have. Being a "paper millionaire" is not nearly as much fun as beeing a "real millionaire". As compared to "pretty" sure, you shouldn't make a move until you are "really" sure. $450,000CAD sounds like a lot, until you see your account balance drop every month, and then reality will set in. Too many people leave the work force too early, and are forced to reenter it in middle-age, and continue to work until they die - not the best "retirement" plan that I can imagine. I'd suggest working in Canada, until your investment income will support you 100%. You can then travel to Thailand, and then work as an English teacher.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your comments on this...Let me also explain that the 440K is a certainty. The only question is will it be more in april 2008. I figured that with an oversea's account (no tax) I should be able (using the 4%/year) to have about 50K baht a month, and I have already said I have a house(The one I built for my wife's family). I guess my thought are on leaving the workforce early are that if things dont go according to plan then, at least, when you re-enter the workforce then you are still relatively young will still be attractive to a employer. But on the other hand if your older whern you leave and try to reenter the workforce, then one might not be so attractive.

Can I ask you a personal question? What amount do you persdonally need in capital to support you fully?

Laugh now cry later

"Im a 26 year old male that resides in canada. A net worth of approx 330,000 (My province is BOOMING with oil and gas plants springing up everywhere) My house has increased 50K which I plan to sell after I hold onto it for the full year and I have stock options currently worth 60K that will vest in april 2008. Aprill 2008 I am SERIOUSLY thinking about at the very least semi-retiring with around 440,000CAD. Id like to teach english to all the kiddies (mostly so I wont spend money) Just curious about all your thought on this. Im pretty sure that I can live off 50K THB/Month as I have already built a house in TL (although small)."

It doesn't matter what you plan to have when you retire - all that matters is what you actually do have. Being a "paper millionaire" is not nearly as much fun as beeing a "real millionaire". As compared to "pretty" sure, you shouldn't make a move until you are "really" sure. $450,000CAD sounds like a lot, until you see your account balance drop every month, and then reality will set in. Too many people leave the work force too early, and are forced to reenter it in middle-age, and continue to work until they die - not the best "retirement" plan that I can imagine. I'd suggest working in Canada, until your investment income will support you 100%. You can then travel to Thailand, and then work as an English teacher.

I am a retired investor and have been so for 5 years. I converted your $440,000 CAD to the AUD and it comes to $510,000 AUD. If you invest your money in tax paid dividend income producing shares you can easily pull a 5% tax paid return. Buying shares is also giving you the chance to get capital appreciation which will keep a check on inflation. Your shares going up nearly always outpaces inflation on the long run.

A dividend return of 5% on the above amount would give you a Thai Baht income of 60,000 Baht per Month and I can assure you that is more than enough for you to live on in Thailand. My wife and I can do it very easily and I do drink, take holidays within Thailand and pay rent.

As far as GaryA's post regarding living on 25,000 Baht per Month it is easily possible. He owns his own paid for property, has a good wife that loves to cook for him and he doesn't drink that much. I know where he was coming from in his posts and a good quality lifestyle can be achieved on that, well done Gary. :o

One more thing I would like to add is that age has no bearing on the above. Good quality shares with tax paid dividends will look after you for life in Thailand. As your shares grow in value and dividends increase over the years you will both preserve your capital and have an income as well. Good Luck.

Please reconsider what is your dream !

I myself decide to retire in Thailand before my time due, I was 39 and with few strong asset!

I did keep my house in Australia and the commercial property who bring me rental !

Here I play on the stock market as a hobby and pocket money !

To me , You much to young to make this move , if I was you I will get a small one bedroom flat where you live and put a large deposit in a good commercial property and work very hard for the next 15 years to reduce the mortgage.

You will be able to retired, and see your investment increasing and a good rental coming every month!

I am a retired investor and have been so for 5 years. I converted your $440,000 CAD to the AUD and it comes to $510,000 AUD. If you invest your money in tax paid dividend income producing shares you can easily pull a 5% tax paid return. Buying shares is also giving you the chance to get capital appreciation which will keep a check on inflation. Your shares going up nearly always outpaces inflation on the long run.

A dividend return of 5% on the above amount would give you a Thai Baht income of 60,000 Baht per Month and I can assure you that is more than enough for you to live on in Thailand. My wife and I can do it very easily and I do drink, take holidays within Thailand and pay rent.

as a non resident you will have to paid a high tax !

Tax rates 2006-07

Tax on this income

$0 – $25,000 29c for each $1

$25,001 – $75,000 $7,250 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000

$75,001 – $150,000 $22,250 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000

Over $150,000 $52,250 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000

if the AU dollar lost his steam and back to 48 cents to the US dollar your nest egg will be really checky !

You are living in a part of the world where the ecconomy is booming due to the investment/price of oil. You are 26 years old.

Do the right thing and stay there, make money and enjoy the prime of your life while you can. It's not just money there are a whole lot of life experiences that the world offers a young man.

You should be laying all the foundations for your later life, not ducking out because you think you have enough money to do so.

If you want to move from Canada, then go see the world and all it has to offer before you settle on Thailand.

If you retire in Thailand at 26 you'll be lucky to hold it together past 36.

as a non resident you will have to paid a high tax !

Tax rates 2006-07

Tax on this income

$0 – $25,000 29c for each $1

$25,001 – $75,000 $7,250 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000

$75,001 – $150,000 $22,250 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000

Over $150,000 $52,250 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000

if the AU dollar lost his steam and back to 48 cents to the US dollar your nest egg will be really checky !

I have had this debate with you before simcity. If you are getting fully franked dividends then there is NO FURTHER tax to be paid. There is no need to even fill in a tax return. In your case you DO have to fill in a tax return because you have income from property and other investments.

Non-residents form ATO home page :

http://www.ato.gov.au

Withholding tax paid by non-residents is a final tax.

If you were not an Australian resident for tax purposes for all or part of the year, include dividend income paid or credited to you during that period on your tax return unless:

the dividend was fully franked, or

the dividend was not fully franked, but either:

withholding tax was (or should have been) withheld from the unfranked amount, or

the unfranked amount was declared to be conduit foreign income in the dividend statement.

On a separate piece of paper, print schedule of additional information – item 11. Provide details of any dividend you received during any period you were a non-resident that was not fully franked, and was not declared to be conduit foreign income, or on which you have not paid withholding tax.

Sign your schedule and attach it to your tax return. We will work out the amount of withholding tax you have to pay on the dividends, and advise you of the amount.

see table above

Again sorry , but you will have to paid !

I received a letter from the australian taxation who ask me some explanation of some transaction and income I make in france , after due research it was a credit of 45 euro because my mother did close a bank account I have with her !

Frank dividend are paid at company rates of 36 % to the dollars , if your tax income is less of 36 % you will get a refund from ATO.

If you are on a higher rates you will have to paid !

Dividends need to be include in tax return !

sorry i do not mean to be hard , but nothing free , perhaps they have special units/fund for non resident at different rates , but not to my knowledge !

for tis guy who is 26 with a good pecule i will capitalise for the next 15 years, not doing any move yet !

Edited by simcity

Withholding tax paid by non-residents is a final tax.

If you were not an Australian resident for tax purposes for all or part of the year, include dividend income paid or credited to you during that period on your tax return unless:

the dividend was fully franked, or

the dividend was not fully franked, but either:

withholding tax was (or should have been) withheld from the unfranked amount, or

the unfranked amount was declared to be conduit foreign income in the dividend statement.

Again sorry , but you will have to paid !

I received a letter from the australian taxation who ask me some explanation of some transaction and income I make in france , after due research it was a credit of 45 euro because my mother did close a bank account I have with her !

The above says exactly what I am saying. For fully franked dividends you do not have to declare it. It is already company tax paid. Look at what we discussed a few Months ago ON THIS LINK.

Frank dividend are paid at company rates of 36 % to the dollars , if your tax income is less of 36 % you will get a refund from ATO.

sorry i do not mean to be hard , but nothing free , perhaps they have special units/fund for non resident at different rates , but not to my knowledge !

for tis guy who is 26 with a good pecule i will capitalise for the next 15 years, not doing any move yet !

This statement is plain wrong. Yes a company that pays fully franked dividends pays company tax at 36%. If your income is less you will NOT get a refund. That is the catch of living overseas, no refunds for non residents. On the other hand it does not matter how much income you get as long as it is fully franked NO FURTHER TAX. Example in this case, Mr. Canadian invests $510,000 in Commonwealth Banks shares. They pay 5% Fully Franked, which is tax paid. Times 510K by 5% = $25,500 AUD. Times that by 28 Baht to The AUD and you have 714,000 Baht per year tax paid income. Divide that by 12 and you have 59,500 Baht per Month income, not too bad for a good lifestyle in Thailand. :o

Edited by bmanly

"Can I ask you a personal question? What amount do you persdonally need in capital to support you fully?"

I receive approx $30K US annually in bond dividends. I own a condo in BKK: the expenses for condo fees and maintenance, internet, electricity, water, and home phone account for $3,500 a year. At the end of the year, the vast majority of the dividends are still in the bank.

This statement is plain wrong. Yes a company that pays fully franked dividends pays company tax at 36%. If your income is less you will NOT get a refund. That is the catch of living overseas, no refunds for non residents. On the other hand it does not matter how much income you get as long as it is fully franked NO FURTHER TAX. Example in this case, Mr. Canadian invests $510,000 in Commonwealth Banks shares. They pay 5% Fully Franked, which is tax paid. Times 510K by 5% = $25,500 AUD. Times that by 28 Baht to The AUD and you have 714,000 Baht per year tax paid income. Divide that by 12 and you have 59,500 Baht per Month income, not too bad for a good lifestyle in Thailand. :o

Mr Bmanly , You are plain right ! i just give a call to ATO this morning from Thailand and did ask them !

fully frank are final , no more tax , and capital gain are non existent for non resident !

I repeat you have been right all along regarding the shares.

Sorry to have been so stubborn, but I admit defeat !

i got a different information 8 years ago when i put myself on retirement!

cheer

"Can I ask you a personal question? What amount do you persdonally need in capital to support you fully?"

I receive approx $30K US annually in bond dividends. I own a condo in BKK: the expenses for condo fees and maintenance, internet, electricity, water, and home phone account for $3,500 a year. At the end of the year, the vast majority of the dividends are still in the bank.

Sorry too personal can't tell you. Now lets work it out for you. $30K USD = 1,140,000 baht per year. Divide that by 12 = 95,000 Baht per Month income. Take out 10,000 Baht a Month for your expenses leaves you with 85,000 baht per Month to live on. Considering you have said the majority of your dividends are still in the bank at the end of the year then I think you have nothing to worry about. Your net wealth is actually increasing every year, well done. :o

Mr Bmanly , You are plain right ! i just give a call to ATO this morning from Thailand and did ask them !

fully frank are final , no more tax , and capital gain are non existent for non resident !

I repeat you have been right all along regarding the shares.

Sorry to have been so stubborn, but I admit defeat !

i got a different information 8 years ago when i put myself on retirement!

cheer

Simcity, no problems I just wanted to make sure the correct information was floating around out there. A lot of people are very negative about young people (below 50'ish) retiring. You and I have retired young and I just wanted to point out to other younger "might be" retirees that it is possible, it is fun and it is a lifestyle only a few can enjoy. It is the best decision I have ever made and if you have the funds and a good plan just do it. :o

I booked my holiday's. I should be in BKK on the 19th of october. Who wants to go for a beer, im buying!?! Pretty excited. Anyway...

Can you tell me your thought's on oversea's accounts? I wa thinking about HK, smaller tax compared to canada and close to where I want to be.

As far as GaryA's post regarding living on 25,000 Baht per Month it is easily possible. He owns his own paid for property, has a good wife that loves to cook for him and he doesn't drink that much. I know where he was coming from in his posts and a good quality lifestyle can be achieved on that, well done Gary. :o

One more thing I would like to add is that age has no bearing on the above. Good quality shares with tax paid dividends will look after you for life in Thailand. As your shares grow in value and dividends increase over the years you will both preserve your capital and have an income as well. Good Luck.

Please reconsider what is your dream !

I myself decide to retire in Thailand before my time due, I was 39 and with few strong asset!

I did keep my house in Australia and the commercial property who bring me rental !

Here I play on the stock market as a hobby and pocket money !

To me , You much to young to make this move , if I was you I will get a small one bedroom flat where you live and put a large deposit in a good commercial property and work very hard for the next 15 years to reduce the mortgage.

You will be able to retired, and see your investment increasing and a good rental coming every month!

I know what your saying, I think its too young even, but im pretty sure im still gonna try, unless there is a new long term incentive program with the company. AS far as getting a small one bedroom flat, its impossible here, its to costly. One might as well get a house, the payments are the same. Oh yea, if any of you are interested in stocks, check things out in Fort Mcmurray Alberta, canada. OIL OIL OIL. Thast where I live...CLL, UTS, SU, COS, THY, and many many many others are aroud here. I think the best one is cwpc, largest lease, cheapest stock, but its in saskatchewan

Im trying to follow the take your money and run philosophy

Laugh now cry later

Quite frankly I think you're full of SH!T. If you need more than $1500 a month to live happily in Thailand you won't live long anyways. Drinking myself to death is not the way I want to go. If I told you what it takes me to live happily up country you would tell me that I'm full of SH!T. :o

Different strokes for different folks. And YES, I would live like a pauper on my income if I were living in the states. I DON'T live in the states.

Social Security will still be around after I'm long gone.

buddy i reckon you really are the one who is full of it.

1500 a month is change if you live in Bangkok, which last time I checked was still a part of the land of smiles.

you're too young

you havent suffered enough

:o

go for it

retire

or

semi

haha, how much do you have to suffer? Exactly what is the suffereing criteria?

I suffer every day that I hve to stay in this work camp with 2000 of my closest felons.

My neighbour is a 26 year old Canadian - straight out of the movie fast and furious -tatts, car, gym etc

Hes gone back to work now in Canada

I saw him chew threw his money quickly in a few months

All those women and so little time he thought

The girls here will remove your money quicker than you can spend it believe me

Idea - buy a cheap apartment/condo - say 1.2 million baht - dont live in Pattaya as the novelty will wear off -

buy some transport - car for you as motorbike dangerous

work out your daily budget and stick to it

if you get a full time girlfriend and dont listen to all the sob stories you can get them for about 10000 baht per month (not bar girl)

dont listent to stories about 20 -50K per month or fead buffalo's or mother sick or relative wants operation etc

If you want to whore around then you will plough through your savings quickly - drinking hard core your liver will hate you and you will gradually lose the plot and all your money - whipped and returned to Canada to work and try it all again

Dont listen to bar gurus as thats why they are in the bar

keep reading posts

thanks for the tip on OIL - i take it this is oil sands?

you're too young

go for it

retire

or

semi

I suffer every day that I hve to stay in this work camp with 2000 of my closest felons.

My neighbour is a 26 year old Canadian - straight out of the movie fast and furious -tatts, car, gym etc

Idea - buy a cheap apartment/condo - say 1.2 million baht - dont live in Pattaya as the novelty will wear off -

if you get a full time girlfriend and dont listen to all the sob stories you can get them for about 10000 baht per month (not bar girl)

dont listent to stories about 20 -50K per month or fead buffalo's or mother sick or relative wants operation etc

If you want to whore around then you will plough through your savings quickly - drinking hard core your liver will hate you and you will gradually lose the plot and all your money - whipped and returned to Canada to work and try it all again

keep reading posts

Yep, you bet, its in the oil sands. Im telling you CWPC is probably the best choice of the bunch, in my opinion (in the long run). But its the one that will give you the most grief as saskatchewan isnt so liberal with there oil and gas. Also many indian reserves wanting a piece of the pie makes it difficult for them. More risky as well, as its on the OTC market, not tsx.

I appreciate you advicse on the whole bar girls scene, and I did that whole thing already. I got married already, so its not really an option anymore. My thai wife wont let me go to those places.

I already nursed a sick buffalo back to health and offered to do the operation myself so im not to worried about that kinda stuff. Also I dont give a sh1t, so that might be it also.

So can u tell me how one might best avoid paying maximum taxe's? Does anyone here have an offshore bank account?

Thanks

Lanugh now cry later

I'm 23 and living in LOS for the last 4 months. It was my dream to live here since my first visit. I spend exactly 20-25K baht per month. And its quite enough for me to rent a condo in Pattaya with a great swimming pool (costs me 7000 baht + electric and water bills), adsl internet, food and ladies. But I <deleted> ladies mostly free and not pay money for that. Either not expensive because I dont drink alcohol and dont need any medical care yet.

I do some freelance job from LOS and it brings me up to $1000/mo. Not too much but LOS is not the best country to work you know. I also lease my flat in Russia for $500/mo. All my spare cash I invest in stocks and bonds coz the market in Russia grows rapidly and I hope to make a good profit.

I wish to have some business here in Thailand but I dont believe Thais (they love money a lot and think that every farang is just a walking ATM.. so like to cheat us every time they see money). Same for thai girls who love to tell stories about their poor families and that they need money for operations and other bullshit. Thats all about money.

I'm 23 and living in LOS for the last 4 months. It was my dream to live here since my first visit. I spend exactly 20-25K baht per month. And its quite enough for me to rent a condo in Pattaya with a great swimming pool (costs me 7000 baht + electric and water bills), adsl internet, food and ladies. But I <deleted> ladies mostly free and not pay money for that. Either not expensive because I dont drink alcohol and dont need any medical care yet.

I do some freelance job from LOS and it brings me up to $1000/mo. Not too much but LOS is not the best country to work you know. I also lease my flat in Russia for $500/mo. All my spare cash I invest in stocks and bonds coz the market in Russia grows rapidly and I hope to make a good profit.

I wish to have some business here in Thailand but I dont believe Thais (they love money a lot and think that every farang is just a walking ATM.. so like to cheat us every time they see money). Same for thai girls who love to tell stories about their poor families and that they need money for operations and other bullshit. Thats all about money.

Wow......4 months and you're the expert on Thai women :o

My TW and family have never cheated me.

you're too young

go for it

retire

or

semi

keep reading posts

Yep, you bet, its in the oil sands. Im telling you CWPC is probably the best choice of the bunch, in my opinion (in the long run). But its the one that will give you the most grief as saskatchewan isnt so liberal with there oil and gas. Also many indian reserves wanting a piece of the pie makes it difficult for them. More risky as well, as its on the OTC market, not tsx.

I appreciate you advicse on the whole bar girls scene, and I did that whole thing already. I got married already, so its not really an option anymore. My thai wife wont let me go to those places.

I already nursed a sick buffalo back to health and offered to do the operation myself so im not to worried about that kinda stuff. Also I dont give a sh1t, so that might be it also.

So can u tell me how one might best avoid paying maximum taxe's? Does anyone here have an offshore bank account?

Thanks

Lanugh now cry later

off shore bank accounts are tricky as you pay no taxes (most) but you get poor returns via interest

the best one i found was New Zealand as you only paid 10% on the interest as tax

however the drawback was that your dollar is converted to NZ dollars then invested

investments there have been paying over 15% plus

but the NZ dollar has past its peak and has had a bit of a slide recently

a lot of countries now have with holding tax and its high

maybe buy a condo here and rent it out

if in Bangkok its a good return

let me know and i will put you onto someone

he got a place for me and I am getting a really good retrn on it

My share portfolio in Australia is diversified and getting good returns on the commodities - iron ore zinc aluminium etc - these are all worked out and put into a fund by the FSC bank in Australia

one portfolio paid 100% last year and is on track to do it again

my idea is not to pay tax and then hope to god that a terrorist developes a software virus that eats all the tax files in the worlds computers

I live in hope :D

Sounds like you're in the wrong country.