Farmers Urged To Grow Flood-Resistant Rice

webfact

Farmers urged to grow flood-resistant rice

image_201210051027102EF663F9-B481-4EDE-D71A2B11D9FE7C6C.jpg

PRACHINBURI, Oct 5 – Farmers in the eastern and central Thai provinces of Prachinburi and Nakhon Nayok are being encouraged to plant “Khao Banna 432,” a new variety of rice grown in flooded conditions having more than 100cm of water for at least a month, according to the Rice Department.

About 40 Prachinburi farmers have planted the new varieties for seed to be sown later, said rice department director general Chairit Damrongkiat, adding that they hope to produce 150 tonnes of deepwater rice seed on the total area of 400 rai.

The seed will be distributed to farmers to be grown on 6,000 rai next year, with a target yield of 2,100 tonnes in the harvest.

The deepwater rice scheme should expand to 84,000 rai in 2014, an area representing 80-90 per cent of the total 100,000 rai of paddy fields in Prachinburi and Nakhon Nayok.

Floating rice, which is one of the two deepwater rice adaptations, grows in water deeper than 100 cm through advanced elongation ability. When a rice field is flooded, accelerated growth of the stem allows the plant to keep some of its foliage on top of the water.

The other deepwater rice adaptation method, “traditional talls,” are varieties grown in water depths of 50 to 100cm, having longer stems and leaves than standard rice. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-05

This rice variety has been developed and grown in Bandladesh and India for several years, its been offered/promoted here several times by companies to no avail. Lets see how successful the Thai's are on raiseing seed from these varieties that will germinate successfully.

This rice variety has been developed and grown in Bandladesh and India for several years, its been offered/promoted here several times by companies to no avail. Lets see how successful the Thai's are on raiseing seed from these varieties that will germinate successfully.

Oh don't say that, if they find out it was developed in India they will never grow it.

• Like 1

It's probably the same in other parts of Thailand, but where I live, you get one idea, and 200 people copy it. No variations. Examples are rife: At big C, there are about 200 individual vendors of mobile phones. All do the same things with the same products, no variation. Along a large hwy, there is a stretch of about 13 Km where there are vendors selling nothing but pineapples. Another shorter stretch has nothing but strawberry sellers. In both cases, all the booths are identical, same for all the displays and prices. Go a half Km from those locations, and you won't find any pineapples or strawberries for sale.

So it goes with rice growing in Thailand. It's all 'follow the leader' but the leader is long gone. So, it's a nation of just followers. No matter if the concept (growing rice) is past its due date, and that there are many superior crops to consider growing. Rice worked ok from grandpa, for dad, for me, and it will suffice for my son and my grandson, and so on. No creative thinking.

New motto for Thailand: 'Land of Follow'

1) There is flooding, and

2) There are rice farmers.

Instead of the government doing anything to reduce flooding, it is the farmers who are urged to make the effort to change their ways.

Thailand in a nutshell.

I hope they make credit available for the farmers to invest in snorkels, as well.

A flood resistant rice seems like a good idea. Why haven´t anyone thinked of that idea much earlier?

The next thing will be that Thais are being urged to live in houseboats and a discount scheme for buyers of their first boat.

• Like 1

http://www.japantime...20090821a6.html

Fri. Aug 21, 2009

Gene Trick found that helps rice survive floods; AP

Let us hope that Monsanto are not involved.

I wonder if there are any side effects to eating genetically modified rice?

There is great controversy regarding other GMO crops where the inserted gene allows them to be sprayed with systemic insecticides. When you consume the crop you also consume the pesticides leading to a whole raft of illnesses.

Then there is the issue of who patents and owns the seeds and what royalties have to be paid.

All that glisters is not gold!! sad.png

• Like 1

http://www.japantime...20090821a6.html

Fri. Aug 21, 2009

Gene Trick found that helps rice survive floods; AP

Let us hope that Monsanto are not involved.

I wonder if there are any side effects to eating genetically modified rice?

There is great controversy regarding other GMO crops where the inserted gene allows them to be sprayed with systemic insecticides. When you consume the crop you also consume the pesticides leading to a whole raft of illnesses.

Then there is the issue of who patents and owns the seeds and what royalties have to be paid.

All that glisters is not gold!! sad.png

These are the side effects after lab rat tests with GMO corn from Monsanto: http://www.weeklytim...test-news.html.

Google "Monsanto" and you realise this world is doomed, they already found contamination of local crops with these genes all over the world.

This cannot be stopped anymore and every time the Monsanto "cops" find traces of their GM crops, the farmers are being sued for everything they own.

Edited by Lunghans

It's probably the same in other parts of Thailand, but where I live, you get one idea, and 200 people copy it. No variations. Examples are rife: At big C, there are about 200 individual vendors of mobile phones. All do the same things with the same products, no variation. Along a large hwy, there is a stretch of about 13 Km where there are vendors selling nothing but pineapples. Another shorter stretch has nothing but strawberry sellers. In both cases, all the booths are identical, same for all the displays and prices. Go a half Km from those locations, and you won't find any pineapples or strawberries for sale.

So it goes with rice growing in Thailand. It's all 'follow the leader' but the leader is long gone. So, it's a nation of just followers. No matter if the concept (growing rice) is past its due date, and that there are many superior crops to consider growing. Rice worked ok from grandpa, for dad, for me, and it will suffice for my son and my grandson, and so on. No creative thinking.

New motto for Thailand: 'Land of Follow'

All true. However; there are a great many rice paddy's being filled in and built over in the North these days as the younger generations who have watched their parents struggle to make a living (mainly against corruption) are no longer prepared to live the Farmer life. As the older family members are dying the younger ones are just selling off the land. In the area I live 29 Paddy's have been filled in over the last 4 years 10 months. May not seem a lot in the big picture but if this is happening all over the country it will not be many years before Thailand is importing rice and not trying to export it.

Farmers urged to grow flood-resistant rice

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifWcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What the hell????!!!! where the hell did this statement come from???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In what kind of world do Yingluck and her goons live in to snap up this kind of vocabulary???cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe this is only the first phase of a new government scheme. In the next they may propose the farmers should grow Leo beer plantations and Mama noodle trees... I'm sure the minister of science and silly talks Mr. Propellerflopp has already something up his sleeve.

Of course how do you harvest this wonder rice if the water doesn't recede? By trawler?

Far too expensive.. it'll be the missus on the end of a rope with a long snorkel, or should I say hose pipe !

I suppose after flood resilient rice the'll have swimming lessons for Bangkokians ??