Health Insurance For Us Citizen Using Cm Ram

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

There are many posts involving medical insurance on TV which is great except it's a bit overwhelming. I am specifically interested in any information from a US citizen who has purchased a US policy and had no major problems getting reimbursement from CM Ram hospital visits. I've been using CM Ram for years and although it's not perfect I've had no serious problems (yet!). I don't mind paying Ram after a visit and being reimbursed later.

The reason I want a US company is that it would provide convenient coverage when I visit the States. If anyone can recommend a US company that they have had no problems with I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Our BlueCross/BlueShield policy, which we had in the U.S. covered us when we visited Thailand for emergency care. As I recall, CM Ram would even direct bill the insurance company.

We elected to drop our BC/BS when we moved here because it cost about $17,000 per year for Hubby and me -- and that was four years ago. Friends who have the same policy say it's over $20,000 per year now. Hubby and I owned and operated a small business and bought the insurance on a group rate thru our trade association.

Now we are insured by Health Care International -- a London-based company. We bought the policy in Chiang Mai. CM Ram can direct bill that policy, too. It covers us anywhere in the world EXCEPT the U.S. We pay about $3500 per year for coverage very similar to what we had in the U.S. We figure if we ever return to the U.S., we'll simply buy a travel insurance policy for the time that we're there.

Frankly, the cost of medical insurance was a major reason we decided to retire to Thailand.

Edited by NancyL

Our BlueCross/BlueShield policy, which we had in the U.S. covered us when we visited Thailand for emergency care. As I recall, CM Ram would even direct bill the insurance company.

We elected to drop our BC/BS when we moved here because it cost about $17,000 per year for Hubby and me -- and that was four years ago. Friends who have the same policy say it's over $20,000 per year now. Hubby and I owned and operated a small business and bought the insurance on a group rate thru our trade association.

Now we are insured by Health Care International -- a London-based company. We bought the policy in Chiang Mai. CM Ram can direct bill that policy, too. It covers us anywhere in the world EXCEPT the U.S. We pay about $3500 per year for coverage very similar to what we had in the U.S. We figure if we ever return to the U.S., we'll simply buy a travel insurance policy for the time that we're there.

Frankly, the cost of medical insurance was a major reason we decided to retire to Thailand.

Do you know, up until what age they insure to?

Guest siamjourney

NancyKm,

You've been submitting claims to CM Ram using Health Care International for about four years now with no problems? Where did you purchase the policy in CM?

I'd sugest the accident insurance from Bangkok Bank, it's under 1500 baht per year.

And you don't need to reimburse from comapny coz no need to pay the bill to the hospitals (includes Chiangmai Ram).

A 1500 THB per year policy won't cover very much...

Note that Virginia said accident insurance not general health insurance.

I'd sugest the accident insurance from Bangkok Bank, it's under 1500 baht per year.

And you don't need to reimburse from comapny coz no need to pay the bill to the hospitals (includes Chiangmai Ram).

Note that Virginia said accident insurance not general health insurance.

The BB accident insurance doesn't cover anything involving the policy holder and a motorbike. I had already filled out the paperwork before I noticed that. Otherwise it's a pretty good small coverage policy for accidents.

Get over to AA Insurance Brokers as they use Allianz - can cover you in Thailand and the States

Indeed that is a good policy if you travel back and forth. It's about 45-50K THB per year for someone in their 50's and rates go up from there. If you are not leaving Thailand any time soon then it may be overkill for someone in good health. You can get a policy from a local Thai Insurance Company for much less.

Guest siamjourney

AA Insurance has an interesting web site. Can someone explain what this is?:

BEER BAR INSURANCE

Quote Tick if quote required

Edited by siamjourney

Get over to AA Insurance Brokers as they use Allianz - can cover you in Thailand and the States

Indeed that is a good policy if you travel back and forth. It's about 45-50K THB per year for someone in their 50's and rates go up from there. If you are not leaving Thailand any time soon then it may be overkill for someone in good health. You can get a policy from a local Thai Insurance Company for much less.

But I think they are talking about cover in the USA as well as Thailand so 'local' is useless !

Maybe wrong site. It has CM location:

http://www.aainsuran...h/get_quote.php

Pretty funny anyways.

It's right after this:

BREAKDOWN SERVICE INSURANCE

Tick if quote required

I'm not sure if that's 'mental' or 'automobile'...

That's strange. That site is different than the Chonburi Office website - but the same company. I always usually deal with Chonburi but go into Chiang Mai to pay, etc.

Any ways it is probably a general liability plan in the event someone is injured in one of the bars or on the premises. Chonburi Office calls it Food and Beverage coverage which includes burglary and theft, plate-glass window damage, business interruption, personal accident, etc.

You can deal directly with HCI on its web site as well as with other companies.

There are legitimate international insurance brokers on line who can help you compare numerous policies side by side.

There are too many variables with health insurance to discuss them fully on a site like this. Don't even try! wink.png

Yes, the topic of health insurance is complex and confusing. I think that's part of why so many resident expats don't have it -- they started to do some investigation and couldn't figure out what was best for them. Always easier to ignore a hypothetical future problem.

I think the OP was smart in narrowing down their criteria to something important to them -- having coverage both in the U.S. and here and they asked a very specific question about that. They did get some answers to their specific question, so this thread was of help to them. Unfortunately, there really isn't a good, inexpensive option if they absolutely must maintain coverage in the U.S. while living here.

The key thing is the OP is planning ahead. The time for new retirees in CM to get health insurance is when they first arrive and (presumably) are still fairly young and healthy. That way, they can build up a history with a company and get past the period where an insurance company will try to deny a claim, saying it is a pre-existing condition. If you've had the policy for a few years (normally 2 for most problems, 5 years for some like cancer or heart problems), they they can't say your claim was for a pre-existing condition.

Edited by NancyL

It is only for accidents I believe and the one at Siam it covers I brlireve 50,000 baht.

Guest siamjourney

NancyL,

I tried to make this thread very specific because there are so many variables. I should reveal I'm 54 and in twelve years of visiting CM Ram I've never had a large bill. I can't get exciting about monthly payments (10k/month?) I don't currently have but I have to be realistic about the future. I'll talk to HCI and see what they have to offer. I don't visit the US often so I suppose I could just get insurance for those visits and take the States coverage part out of my equation.

Thanks.

Yes, it can be more difficult to obtain health insurance as you age and some companies will not accept new clients over a certain age, no matter their health. Also, some companies stop coverage at a certain age, again, no matter how many claims or the health of the client.

One feature we like about the HCI policy is that it will continue coverage after age 75, but (of course) the rates go up as you enter a new "age band" upon turning age 76. Those increases aren't related to a person's claim history, simply their age. As I recall, the % increase for the different age bands was clearly spelled out when we evaluated the policy.

I should point out that Hubby and I pay a total (for two people) of about $3500 per year, but we're in older age bands than the OP. Also, it's possible to increase the deductable and lower the rates. Perhaps it would make sense to get one of those cheap accident insurance policies from a Thai bank to help to cover a large deductable.

The time to think about health insurance is when you're still fairly young and healthy. The OP is to be praised for thinking about this at age 54.

Edited by NancyL

I don't have any pre-existing conditions. I'm 59 and will be retiring to LOS in around 10 years. My wife gave birth 5 years ago at Lana Hospital and the Doctor there was keen to sign her and my new born son to a policy. Not very keen to sign me up but said it would be a lot easier for me to purchase a policy before I turn 60, which is next summer. I will be in Chiang Mai next July and was going to compare some policies and see if it made any sense to buy one when it really would not be used for 9-10 years. If the premiums go up regardless of how long the policy has been in force or how many claims you have made, it wouldn't make any sense.

I know nothing for a fact.

However, medical care is so expensive in the USA that I can't imagine having one policy for both. If so, I can't imagine that the actuarials wouldn't be tied to US costs.

Case in point. My 95 year old dad recently had a mild heart attack. By the time he got to the hospital there was no sign of heart problems other than some tell-tale enzymes in his blood proving he had it.

Nonetheless, they kept him overnight, ran a bunch of tests with expensive machines and expensive radiologists, cardiologists etc and also of course those doctors billed him.

36 hours later and one night's stay he was billed for 2 days' hospital stay = US$6,000. The tests and doctors came to another US$6,000. The ambulance cost US$700 for a two mile ride. Of course the paramedics on board were in touch with the doctors, running tests and administering an IV, and they truly save a lot of lives but still...

$US12,700 gone in about 36 hours and that's no joke.

Fortunately Dad has US government Medicare with "Medicare Advantage" (MA) and he is also eligible for army veteran's health care which acts as his secondary insurance and picks up the co-pays. Co-pays could be likened to a deductible in a way. It didn't cost dad a dime, but it sure soaked the insurance company and the veteran's administration.

When mom passed a couple of years ago she was in the hospital for the last 12 days. They ran all kinds of test trying to figure out why she wouldn't regain consciousness even though she didn't need life support. Those 12 days with all of the doctors and tests cost almost $70,000 which was also covered by MA except for about $5k deductible.

Don't get sick in the US without insurance, and don't wish upon yourself to pay premiums unless you're a citizen over 65 or your employer picks up the tab.

Edited by NeverSure