How Did You Find Your Teaching Job?

RaysFan

Just curious on how people are finding their teaching jobs. I see some people posting that they are being offered jobs... Just curious how they are finding the job listings.

Also, as a side note, what kind of salaries are you being offered? Thanks.

I just go to schools. they ask can you be a monkey, dance around and make the students laugh ?

Look handsome and white ?

Don't question anything no matter how absurd or studid ?

Upgrade from a zero ?

Sign everyday over the holidays even though the school is closed and there is no one there ?

Don't have an opinion and absolutely no pride ?

I say, "Yes, yes. my god, yes."........................ and they give me a job.

Easy. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I just go to schools. they ask can you be a monkey, dance around and make the students laugh ?

Upgrade from a zero ?

Sign everyday over the holidays even though the school is closed and there is no one there ?

Easy. rolleyes.gif

I enjoy the humor... So, your strategy was just going from school to school until you found a job also? What was the pay ranges you found?

Upgrade from a zero ?

Easy. rolleyes.gif

I enjoy the humor... So, your strategy was just going from school to school until you found a job also? What was the pay ranges you found?

30000 - 35000 baht.

Oh, one more quesion I would like to add..... What are the hours you guys are finding/working?

0800-1600

I teach 22 lessons per week - contracted to teach 18 x 50 minutes - but I have 4 extra classes and get an extra 6400 baht per month.

My job was advertised in a TV thread, although youll find that just living here you'll be offered plenty of jobs, ones which arent otherwise advertised.

In the 2 years I've been here, I've been told about/offered jobs via friends, random teachers at conferences, random schools who somehow got my ph number and even once while at a funeral lol

Although this might be different in large cities / westernized areas, as there is a really under supply of Farang teachers in Isaan by comparison

The figures for my job, in a large Isaan countryside school are:

18x 50min periods a week

36,000 a month

although no salary in April

Got my job from a friend who met a Thai head teacher somewhere on a seminar. I phoned her, went for an interview and started 3 days later.

Still there since then, making 27,500, 12 months a year plus free housing on campus. Visa and wp paid.

16 hours/week, plus one hour English club. Life could be worse, to be honest......

I was bored and answered a small ad in the bangkok post in 2004. There was no email address only a fax number. I went uptown and sent the fax. Was getting in my car 10 minutes later and received a phone call asking if I could teach Mathyom Math. I said yes, started the next day, 100 kilomters from my home, and stayed at the school for 6 years. Signed the agency contract on the hood of my car in the parking lot of the school, got paid via ATM, usually late.The first 6 months were with an agency but then went to work for the government school directly. Promisses of a work permit and visa with the agency never materialized, but did get one once I worked directly for the school. Salary 35000 baht in the sticks, not Bangkok. When they called, I didn't have a clue what Mathyom was but have an electrical egineering degree so it wasn't a problem. At times it was fun and rewarding but other times it was frustrating. I was glad when I finally retired again.

Based on the experiences of so many teachers here in Bangkok, which would you recommend:

Applying for an international school from my home country,....

OR....

Being in Bangkok and applying up front and personal?

(I am a qualified teacher in the west and would appreciate any and all responses)....Thanks!

Based on the experiences of so many teachers here in Bangkok, which would you recommend:

OR....

(I am a qualified teacher in the west and would appreciate any and all responses)....Thanks!

I would recommend applying to an international school from your home country. That is what I plan to do anyway, in a few months.

By being employed locally you miss out on flight allowance, often don't get housing allowance and usually don't get the same salary. So, I've heard.

You are probably correct about the difference between local recruitment and overseas recruitment. Years ago, I worked in Hong Kong (not as a teacher). I applied for a different job, which had a huge salary and some really great benefits. Because I was already in HK I received the salary, but no flight home etc. I also did not receive housing allowance.

When I first came to Thailand, a teacher I worked with (qualified) left our school and took a job with an international school. He received a salary of 65,000 baht (if I recall, correctly), but no repatriation, and other benefits. He did receive some housing, but it was about 1/4 of those recruited from overseas.

I was teaching English in a government school EP program. A new school Director started and wouldn't sign any renewal contracts at the end of the year. He also froze everyone's salary (Thai teachers as well as foreign). Most of the foreign teachers left at the end of the year, the one who remained left at the end of the next year. We were replaced by non-native speakers or teachers without degrees, all of whom worked for much less money!

One of the other teachers interviewed with and was offered a job at a bilingual school. He mentioned me to their recruiter and I was offered a job teaching Science. I've now been there for 4 years.

OR....

I would recommend applying to an international school from your home country. That is what I plan to do anyway, in a few months.

By being employed locally you miss out on flight allowance, often don't get housing allowance and usually don't get the same salary. So, I've heard.

It depends on the school and how tight they are I guess.

I am on the same contract as my colleagues, and was hired in country. I still get my housing allowance and repatraition benfits.

All I did was apply at every school in the area I was targetting and wait it out. Took me about a month to secure something, and was offered a few more positions since.

With your qualifications I would be looking for minimum 60k baht. You'll be on campus from ~8 to ~4.... that is the layout of the "good" Thai schools anyway. The international sort I don't know about.

The 30k schools are conveyor belts. All things being equal, that turnover should be enough to make you think anyway.

If I was you I'd try to figure out who is head of EP at about a half dozen "good" schools, walk in and make a good 5 minute impression on him. Let him know you are here solidly, not a transient. Try to make sure he has your contact info in his phone when you leave and knows your name. Sending CV's here is weird.... it is like the lotto... so odd.

With your qualifications I would be looking for minimum 60k baht. You'll be on campus from ~8 to ~4.... that is the layout of the "good" Thai schools anyway. The international sort I don't know about.

The 30k schools are conveyor belts. All things being equal, that turnover should be enough to make you think anyway.

If I was you I'd try to figure out who is head of EP at about a half dozen "good" schools, walk in and make a good 5 minute impression on him. Let him know you are here solidly, not a transient. Try to make sure he has your contact info in his phone when you leave and knows your name. Sending CV's here is weird.... it is like the lotto... so odd.

Most schools in Thailand are filled with drunk native speakers wreaking of cigarette smoke and cheap perfume. I'm from Bulgaria but atleast I'm not an alcoholic and I cant find a job paying me more than 20 thousand baht a month!

• Like 1

Another route the op could take would be to get a job through one of the better agencies. That way you will get work quick, and try to steer yourself to get placed at a school that other employers like to see on cv's. A job you may not have gotten otherwise with no Thailand experience. Apply at all the better paying schools you can, and then dis the agency and its meager salary. Those agencies actually welcome being used and abused... it is necessarily part of their business model.

I "may" try this, and I'll report back in a few months if I do.

I'm retiring to Thailand late next year. I like Khon Kaen for some reason. In fact I want to live in the surrounds within about 25 miles in a decent sized village.

I don't need to work (I qualify for a retirement visa) but I want to teach and I really don't care what it pays. However, if I can get anything like a housing allowance or travel cost coming back, of course I'd take it.

I'll be traveling to LOS a couple of times before the move, and one of the trips will be about a month before I move to get all paperwork done, etc. That last trip I hope to find a job.

Now, if I find a job but make it clear that I'm heading back to the US and need to, I hope to bargain for them to bring me right back. Who knows?

Most schools in Thailand are filled with drunk native speakers wreaking of cigarette smoke and cheap perfume. I'm from Bulgaria but atleast I'm not an alcoholic and I cant find a job paying me more than 20 thousand baht a month!

You could find the answer in your own post. Guess you meant drunk native English speaking teachers, otherwise I’d suggest to change your medication.

Bulgarian English teachers are pretty much uncommon here.

That’s the deal here, 15- 20,000 for a non-native English speaker, 30- 40,0000+ baht for those who know the biological difference between a herbivore and a carnivore.---w00t.gif

• Like 1

In our school both smoke-reaking alcoholic English teachers were French thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In our school both smoke-reaking alcoholic English teachers were French thumbsup.gif

Is it true that they've got frogs addicted to tobacco and alcohol in their country?

Some of them pretty legless on crutches, wheelchairs, etc...

Edited by sirchai

Another route the op could take would be to get a job through one of the better agencies. That way you will get work quick, and try to steer yourself to get placed at a school that other employers like to see on cv's. A job you may not have gotten otherwise with no Thailand experience. Apply at all the better paying schools you can, and then dis the agency and its meager salary. Those agencies actually welcome being used and abused... it is necessarily part of their business model.

I would disagree on the agency suggestion. Agencies are a crap shoot and there are far more really bad ones verses even fair ones. Some appear professional and are far from being so once you are inside. Direct employment is the better way to go if you have the choice. Also, age and country of origin is a pretty big factor.

Edited by Markaew

Question: without the benefits of being hired abroad, what type of work could one expect with serious qualifications:

Bacheor's in English, teaching license from Hawaii, Master's Degree in Education, 4 years experience teaching high school English?

I keep hearing naysayers saying this and that, but I appreciate and value insight to this inquiry....As to age and country of origin, thirty-something, and from USA.... :P

Thanks for any input!

P.S. How "old" is an English teacher in Thailand? I know it's not like the US where anyone is accepted, but what would be the general cut-off age of when you are young or old? Thanks again...

Ivan: with your qualification you should be able to start in the 40,000 range rather easily and quickly. If you search around you could probably get more.

The starting wage is 30,000-35,000, but your experience and degree should get you a little better deal.

Question: without the benefits of being hired abroad, what type of work could one expect with serious qualifications:

Bacheor's in English, teaching license from Hawaii, Master's Degree in Education, 4 years experience teaching high school English?

I keep hearing naysayers saying this and that, but I appreciate and value insight to this inquiry....As to age and country of origin, thirty-something, and from USA.... :P

Thanks for any input!

P.S. How "old" is an English teacher in Thailand? I know it's not like the US where anyone is accepted, but what would be the general cut-off age of when you are young or old? Thanks again...

With your qualifications you should be applying to the international schools.

I keep hearing naysayers saying this and that, but I appreciate and value insight to this inquiry....As to age and country of origin, thirty-something, and from USA.... tongue.png

Thanks for any input!

With your qualifications you should be applying to the international schools.

I am not a teacher and have no intention of being one.

To answers the OPs question, the other week I was offered a job paying either 96 or 98k per month, I wasnt paying much attention as I wasnt interested.

This would have been as a local hire.

There are teachers out there in their 70s.

Dont bother sending PMs or asking questions as to where this school is, I wont answer them.

You could find the answer in your own post. Guess you meant drunk native English speaking teachers, otherwise I’d suggest to change your medication.

That’s the deal here, 15- 20,000 for a non-native English speaker, 30- 40,0000+ baht for those who know the biological difference between a herbivore and a carnivore.---w00t.gif

Herbivore eat plants carnivores eat meat any idiot knows that, and you expect to get 20 thousand more for knowing something that most Thai kids will never learn from you drunken bafoons?

Herbivore eat plants carnivores eat meat any idiot knows that, and you expect to get 20 thousand more for knowing something that most Thai kids will never learn from you drunken bafoons?

We're not all drunken buffoons ;)

• Like 1

If you call someone a buffoon, you mean that they often do foolish things. (OLD-FASHIONED)= clown. Where do the "bafoons" come from?w00t.gif