Putting Petrol In A Diesel Engined Car

Maigo6

Tuesday night in Pattaya, went in the Gas station, asked for 1000 baht's worth, without stating what I wanted 1000 bahts worth of, I assumed the guy would know it was a diesel, but alas he put 1000 bahts worth of Gasoline in my Fortuner diesel.

Never noticed much at first, until later it would not start, then some guy suggested I open the fuel inlet and smell, he was right , it stank of Petrol. :o

1000 baht later I was in the Toyota showrooms workshops on Sukhumvit road, after being taken there by the same guy that tows away all the cars the Police in Pattaya think are ilegally parked, then 5 hours and 1200 baht after that, I am back on the road.

I just got back from Aranyaprathet and went to see the Boss of the Gas station, he apologised and asked if I remembered the boy who had filled me up, I think I did remember him, but said I didn't, don't want him losing his job over a simple mistake like that.

I guess what I am trying to say is this, State what you want when filling up, don't leave it to them, mistakes do happen and are a pain in the A#%. :D

Maybe it's a common mistake. I've often seen little round stickers stating 91 or 95 on the petrol cap flaps of vehicles. I think I've seen stickers stating 'Diesel' too but can't be sure. Perhaps that's the reason for the stickers.

I thought at first it was the Thais penchant for using stickers. ie. 'Have sticker, must use it.' :o

:D

I had the opposite problem. A young Issan boy filled my Suzuki jeep with diesel rather than gasoline. I got about 4 or 5 kilometers down the road when I started to lose power and the engine was spark knocking like crazy. I found a garage before it quit. They drained the tank and filled it with gasoline. Apparently no harm was done other than losing a tank of "DIESEL" fuel. What could I do? I went on down the road. :D

Tuesday night in Pattaya, went in the Gas station, asked for 1000 baht's worth, without stating what I wanted 1000 bahts worth of, I assumed the guy would know it was a diesel, but alas he put 1000 bahts worth of Gasoline in my Fortuner diesel.

Never noticed much at first, until later it would not start, then some guy suggested I open the fuel inlet and smell, he was right , it stank of Petrol. :o

1000 baht later I was in the Toyota showrooms workshops on Sukhumvit road, after being taken there by the same guy that tows away all the cars the Police in Pattaya think are ilegally parked, then 5 hours and 1200 baht after that, I am back on the road.

I just got back from Aranyaprathet and went to see the Boss of the Gas station, he apologised and asked if I remembered the boy who had filled me up, I think I did remember him, but said I didn't, don't want him losing his job over a simple mistake like that.

I guess what I am trying to say is this, State what you want when filling up, don't leave it to them, mistakes do happen and are a pain in the A#%. :D

I agree, you really need to keep an eye on them whenever they do anything to your cars.

That includes taking it to the oil change section as well. They are employed because they are cheap, not because of what they know. It isn't their fault and it's true that a lot of them are Burmese so don't be suprised if your guy suddenly takes off halfway through filling your tank as the police pull in :o

A typical example is over tightening your oil drain plug and stripping the thread and overfilling it with oil. They also love to overfill your car with fuel as well so as you take off and it expands a bit from the heat it starts to overflow.

Still, they are only trying but it's better to be hovering around and keep a gentle eye on them.

> I just got back from Aranyaprathet and went to see the Boss of the Gas

> station, he apologised and asked if I remembered the boy who had filled

> me up, I think I did remember him, but said I didn't, don't want him losing

> his job over a simple mistake like that.

Bless you for that! Besides it would be a management/training issue to confirm what fuel to use, not necessarily some poor sod's fault.

Typical resolution, smack the small guy's arse and everyone feels better.. How about management taking responsibility and offering you a free diesel fill up at least..

(I know, I know :o)

Cheers,

Chanchao