Nato Warns Alliance Is Ready To Defend Turkey If Necessary

News_Editor

NATO warns alliance is ready to defend Turkey if necessary < br />

2012-10-10 08:47:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (BNO NEWS) -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Tuesday called on all parties in the region to avoid an escalation of tensions along the Syria-Turkey border, warning that the military alliance is ready to defend Turkey should it be necessary.

Speaking at the start of the Defense Ministers Meetings in the Belgian capital Brussels, Rasmussen commended the Turkish government for the restraint it has shown in its response to what the alliance's top official described as "completely unacceptable" attacks from Syria on Turkey.

The tensions began last Wednesday when mortar shells from Syria hit the Turkish border town of Akçakale in Åžanlıurfa Province, killing at least five people and injuring ten others. As more mortar shells landed in Turkey, Turkish military forces responded to them, killing as many as 70 people.

"Turkey has a right to defend herself within international law," he said. "I would add to that, obviously, Turkey can rely on NATO solidarity. We have all necessary plans in place to protect and defend Turkey if necessary. We hope it won't be necessary. We hope that all parties involved will show restraint and avoid an escalation of the crisis."

During a press conference on Monday, Turkish President Abdullah Gül said the region is facing the 'worst-case scenario.' United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also stated that the escalation of the conflict along the Syrian-Turkish border, as well as the impact of the crisis on Lebanon, shows the conflict is a "regional calamity with global ramifications."

The crisis in Syria began as a pro-democracy protest movement in March 2011, similar to those across the Middle East and North Africa. The Syrian government violently cracked down on the protests, setting off an armed conflict between pro-Assad forces and anti-government forces.

The United Nations estimates that more than 18,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and more than 1.2 million have been displaced since the uprising against President al-Assad began 1.5 year ago. The opposition believes the number of deaths has already surpassed 29,000.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-10-10

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey is not under attack from Syria, and can defend itself against any spillover from that internal conflict, saying NATO should defend Turkey is an excuse for the hawks to intervene in Syria, its not our business or in our interests to "defend Turkey"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iGBG1gOYSsZghc8E4HtH1xCzeGBw?docId=b8f7ec626825442cab1dea1625571614

US sends forces to Jordan as check on Syria

By KARIN LAUB, Associated Press – 2 hours ago

BRUSSELS (AP) — The United States has sent troops to Jordan to bolster its military capabilities in the event Syria's civil war escalates, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday

So I guess the US has the next President of Syria standing in the wings

http://www.google.co...b1dea1625571614

BRUSSELS (AP) — The United States has sent troops to Jordan to bolster its military capabilities in the event Syria's civil war escalates, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Wednesday

it's beginning to look more and more like that........and I have to admit I knew nothing about

the natural gas before reading this.

US, Israel ready for war with Syria: Analyst

If we can be honest, Syria now sits on one of the largest newly found repositories of natural gas that the Europeans want to steal. At the same time, the Qataris, who have natural gas, don’t want there to be competition.

Syria has a trove of resources that Europe needs where they no longer want to use nuclear energy and CO2 producing fuel, so now it is to loot and to steal. They care nothing for the Syrian people.

http://www.presstv.i...seek-syria-war/

Edited by midas

it's beginning to look more and more like that........and I have to admit I knew nothing about

If we can be honest, Syria now sits on one of the largest newly found repositories of natural gas that the Europeans want to steal. At the same time, the Qataris, who have natural gas, don’t want there to be competition.

Syria has a trove of resources that Europe needs where they no longer want to use nuclear energy and CO2 producing fuel, so now it is to loot and to steal. They care nothing for the Syrian people.

Press TV? The Iranian state-funded organisation. Now there's a reliable source re Syria!!

Syria ranks below the UK in terms of natural gas reserves at Number 42 in world ranking. Re the Qatar mention, the Syrian gas potential is less than 1% of the reserves of Qatar. If Qatar wanted to take out a real competitor Iran would be a far better option. See link below:

Also since when has natural gas not been a "CO2 producing fuel"? But why let mere facts get in the way of a good story, perhaps Press TV is actually part of the Murdoch stable?

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?c=sy&v=98

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iGBG1gOYSsZghc8E4HtH1xCzeGBw?docId=b8f7ec626825442cab1dea1625571614

Quick reality check. 150 US SF and a handful of guys from Hereford is hardly anything new in Jordan, and such a limited deployment given the situation next door is minimal stuff. Abdullah and his family have long been well onside and we would lose him at our cost.

• Like 1

If we can be honest, Syria now sits on one of the largest newly found repositories of natural gas that the Europeans want to steal. At the same time, the Qataris, who have natural gas, don't want there to be competition.

Press TV? The Iranian state-funded organisation. Now there's a reliable source re Syria!!

Syria ranks below the UK in terms of natural gas reserves at Number 42 in world ranking. Re the Qatar mention, the Syrian gas potential is less than 1% of the reserves of Qatar. If Qatar wanted to take out a real competitor Iran would be a far better option. See link below:

Also since when has natural gas not been a "CO2 producing fuel"? But why let mere facts get in the way of a good story, perhaps Press TV is actually part of the Murdoch stable?

http://www.indexmund....aspx?c=sy&v=98

If you are implying that Press TV are unreliable or are some form of propaganda machine, the likes of CNBC, CNN and even Fox News are no better at providing real independent journalism.

Thank heavens that Russia and China won't allow NATO to have its own way this time around.

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

NATO warns alliance is ready to defend Turkey if necessary

How convenient, that's lucky then, they were nearing the bottom of the bag full of possible excuses, this one will do.

Might be.

On the other hand Turkey is a key member when it comes to location. Ignoring the current strife between the two nations could be seen by the Turkish government as a slight. Issuing a deceleration affirming support, doesn't necessarily indicate something is up.

Ooh, was that the sound of rattling sabres? Ah well nothing like a good war to divert attention from economic problems at home. Good for the arms trade, good for political kickbacks or insider trading, no so good for the dead soldiers and civilian colateral damage, but hey, who gives a sh^t about them? Today Syria, tomorrow Iran, let the dollars roll.

• Like 1

Whats the worst that could happen here? Say Syria continues to shell Turkey and NATO uses the shelling as an excuse to deploy military forces in Turkey, Russia and the Warsaw Pact decides to come to the aid of thier friend and deploys military forces in or near Syria. If the Syrian rebels decided to attack the Warsaw Pact forces that would then all the excuse needed for those forces to take an active role in putting down the rebellion, cue NATO to step in and defend the rebels, NATO toe to toe with the Warsaw Pact, winner gets the gas reserves.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Whats the worst that could happen here? Say Syria continues to shell Turkey and NATO uses the shelling as an excuse to deploy military forces in Turkey, Russia and the Warsaw Pact decides to come to the aid of thier friend and deploys military forces in or near Syria. If the Syrian rebels decided to attack the Warsaw Pact forces that would then all the excuse needed for those forces to take an active role in putting down the rebellion, cue NATO to step in and defend the rebels, NATO toe to toe with the Warsaw Pact, winner gets the gas reserves.

Sent from my GT-I9003

The Warsaw Pact was disbanded in 1991.

Sent from my GT-I9003

I didn't know that, but I was sure there was a military alliance formed by Russia which invloves some of the countries that made up the former USSR.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Sent from my GT-I9003

I didn't know that, but I was sure there was a military alliance formed by Russia which invloves some of the countries that made up the former USSR.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Many of the old soviet bloc countries are now in the European union.
  • Like 1

CNN news report today is claiming Syria is now using cluster bomb munitions supplied by Russia. If true this would be a serious escalation and possible provide sufficient reason for NATO to enforce no fly zones.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Sent from my GT-I9003

Just my opinion, but I do not believe that Russia will engage with military force to support the Assad regeime in Syria.

Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Albania, Poland & Croatia (formerly part of Yugoslavia) have all joined NATO and all are former Warsaw Pact countries. As well as the integration of West & East Germany. Georgia is also planning to join NATO.

Edited by simple1

Sent from my GT-I9003

Sent from my GT-I9003

Thank you for bringing me up to date.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Has anyone checked out the size of the Turkish military? They are perfectly capable of flattening Syria without any support whatsoever. The west would do well to keep out of Syria as would Israel as given no outside diversion a large Sunni-Shia religious war looks like breaking out any time now and the sidelines selling arms to whoever is losing looks the wisest option.

• Like 1

Turkey bars Syrian civilian flights

Associated Press - 45 mins ago

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's foreign minister says the country has barred its air space to Syrian civilian flights.

Ahmet Davutoglu said Sunday that Turkey had made the decision because the Syrian regime, which is battling an insurgency, was "abusing" civilian flights by transporting military equipment.

He says Syria's government was notified of the decision on Saturday.

Last week, Turkey forced a Syrian plane to land and confiscated what it said was military equipment on board. Russia said the plane was carrying spare radar parts, while Syria accused Turkey of piracy.

Syria announced Saturday that it was closing its air space to Turkish flights. But Davutoglu said Sunday: "the Syrian announcement has no value for us."

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Has anyone checked out the size of the Turkish military? They are perfectly capable of flattening Syria without any support whatsoever. The west would do well to keep out of Syria as would Israel as given no outside diversion a large Sunni-Shia religious war looks like breaking out any time now and the sidelines selling arms to whoever is losing looks the wisest option.

Turkey could flatten Syria in less than a week.

I doubt that NATO is really interested in getting involved in this mess, but they do need to give verbal support to an ally that is experiencing military conflict.

Steely Dan is right about the Turkish Military. It's quite large and it's quite well equipped. The Turks are quite nationalistic as well.

The problem with situations like Syria is that they almost always have a tendency to spill over into neighboring territory. What often starts out as refugees fleeing fighting sometimes ends up with enemy combatants stirring up trouble in a neighboring country. Refugee camps are a good hiding place for insurgents.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Just my opinion, but I do not believe that Russia will engage with military force to support the Assad regeime in Syria.

Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Albania, Poland & Croatia (formerly part of Yugoslavia) have all joined NATO and all are former Warsaw Pact countries. As well as the integration of West & East Germany. Georgia is also planning to join NATO.

oh yes they will and in fact if you looked at any interview with any Russian officials

just this past weekend regarding this matter they are absolutely adamant against

any military intervention in Syria.

And Russia is already angry even about the interception of the cargo plane.

Russia seeks answers from Turkey over Syria plane intercept

MOSCOW — Russia furiously demanded answers from Turkey on Thursday after it forced a Syrian passenger plane flying from Moscow to land in Ankara on suspicion of carrying "illegal cargo", reportedly weapons, to Damascus.

Syria with only 11,550,588 in its military is much smaller than Turkey which has 41,637,773. But as Russia and China warned again last week about no military intervention one has to remember Russia has military with 69,117,271 and China has a colossal available manpower of 749,610,775

blink.png

so let's hope cool heads prevail

Syria with only 11,550,588 in its military is much smaller than Turkey which has 41,637,773. But as Russia and China warned again last week about no military intervention one has to remember Russia has military with 69,117,271 and China has a colossal available manpower of 749,610,775 blink.png

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

The figure you have quoted for Syria looks like the size of the entire population!

The USA has one of the largest natural gas reserves in the world. Add in its largest energy supplier Canada, and the USA is one of the few countries that has a massive secure low cost reserve. Whether or not Syria has natural gas is of no concern to the USA since the USA has a surplus and has no need of natural gas from the middle east. It has more than it can use and that supply is long term.

In respect to NATO and Syria, it is not NATO nor the USA that is driving the Turkey position. Rather it is Turkey that is making the statements and threats. The USA's special forces are in Jordan in respect to the large stockpiles of chemical weapons that Syria has. Several Syrian manufacturing installations and depots are in the war zone. Those weapons will have to be secured. NATO's lead members do not want to get involved in Syria. The simple reason is money. The countries that provided the bulk of resources for the last action (USA, Canada, UK, France and Italy) have financial problems. None of these countries can afford another billion or so euro or $$$ on an intervention. It is Turkey that is getting shelled and it is Turkish civilians that have been murdered by the Syrians.

How anyone can slough off the Turkish concerns is beyond me. The Syrians have been shelling Turkish villages and killing Turkish nationals. Turkey is now stuck with a humanitarian crisis courtesy of Syria and its defacto partner Iran. It is the Turkish PM that has lashed out against Russia and China. The west has remained very circumspect and been restrained. On the day of the last US presidential debate the Turks were about to launch a retaliatory cross border action that could have plunged the mideast into war. The Israelis are worried ,because they know this could be an excuse for Iran to do something and could tear apart its deteriorating non aggression agreement with Egypt. The Egyptians are in disarray dealing with insurgents in the Sinai and Lebanon is bracing for another civil war. Jordan has domestic problems and the Gulf states are worried by the Iranian sabre rattling. Add to that the delicate state of the Eu economy and we have the recipe for a global crisis if Turkey acts hastily.

Edited by geriatrickid

Syria with only 11,550,588 in its military is much smaller than Turkey which has 41,637,773. But as Russia and China warned again last week about no military intervention one has to remember Russia has military with 69,117,271 and China has a colossal available manpower of 749,610,775 blink.png

The figure you have quoted for Syria looks like the size of the entire population!

Estimate of population of Syria: 22,530,746 (July 2012 est.) from Index Mundi.

Estimate of population of Syria: 22,530,746 (July 2012 est.) from Index Mundi.

total population for Syria is listed at 22,517,750

whereas the figure of 11,550,588 is described as total manpower

with 9,939,661 fit for active service