Waiting Times Ilr

Hi all,

Just to let you know that my wife applied for ILR on 12th May and received her confirmation of ILR and her BRP on 19th June. Just under 6 weeks from start to finish and this included a 1 week delay due to a technical problem with recording her biometrics.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your comments. I hope ours comes through as quickly as killblues ILR application did.

When we started out on this process the waiting times were around 6 months, so 6 weeks is a lot less stress time.

Referring to my last UKBA quote:

"From 29 Feb 2012 anyone applying for a Biometric Travel Document must also apply for a Biometric Immigration Document otherwise known as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). We will no longer transfer your leave in to a new passport. Instead, you can apply for a Biometrics Residence Card which will prove your status in the UK. To do this you need to complete form NTL which can be found on the UKBA website."

I was initially baffled by all the abbreviations, but I think I now understand. I suppose the 'Biometrics Residence Card' is for people already granted ILR, who will now get this instead of having their vignette transferred from their old passport. So new applicants, such as my wife, will just get and will only need the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Regarding 7by7's quote: 'Q1, Never heard of that happening' - which I understand to be a reference to Thomasteve's question:

The caseworker communicates with the applicant and will allow additional/missing documents to be submitted ?

I think Thomasteve id referring to my earlier UKBA quote from the letter we received telling us UKBA had received the application and the matter was in hand where they say: '"Thank you for application on SET(M). It will now be passed to a casework unit to await consideration. If any problems with validity of application, such as missing documentation, a caseworker will contact to advise what action needs to be taken to rectify the problem......"

So presumably this can now happen. So not quite so much a worry that you might have forgotten something in an application. It sounds like you can get another chance to supply documentation and they don't just snatch your £1,051 & refuse ILR - immediately!

Regarding 7by7's quote: 'Q1, Never heard of that happening' - which I understand to be a reference to Thomasteve's question:

The caseworker communicates with the applicant and will allow additional/missing documents to be submitted ?

I think Thomasteve id referring to my earlier UKBA quote from the letter we received telling us UKBA had received the application and the matter was in hand where they say: '"Thank you for application on SET(M). It will now be passed to a casework unit to await consideration. If any problems with validity of application, such as missing documentation, a caseworker will contact to advise what action needs to be taken to rectify the problem......"

So presumably this can now happen. So not quite so much a worry that you might have forgotten something in an application. It sounds like you can get another chance to supply documentation and they don't just snatch your £1,051 & refuse ILR - immediately!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I was referring to the letter you had mentioning that a caseworker would communicate with an applicant rather than just immediately reject an application for a minor discrepancy.

I would certainly expect so after paying out over £1000 for a government service that used to be free or cost very little not so long ago.

I also know of a case a few years ago where an applicant for FLR was contacted and advised to 'upgrade' and apply for ILR as they had already met the conditions and it would be granted.

Edited by thomasteve

• 3 weeks later...

12th June: Posted ILR application

12th July Received BRP and all documents returned - ILR granted. What a relief and all in one month

The BRP arrived first in the morning delivered (ironically) by a Polish bloke in a battered old white van, who didn't speak much English.

He said "You have ID?" Seeing the envelope in his hand had my wife's name on it, I realised what it was and replied "Yes. I can definitely confirm that I am me."

He paused thoughtfully, scratched his head, and asked me to sign for it!

The package of document arrived by the usual postman later. Incidentally in the ILR application notes it asks for all original documents and for photocopies of everything. I photocopied everything and they sent back the whole lot! Never mind, we're just relieved that it's over.

I'd like to say how grateful I am to this forum and to the people who have helped me though a stressful time. In particular thank you 7by7 who promptly and expertly replied to several of my questions. 7by7 says above "Then I stand corrected", we I don't think you can stand to be corrected on much - what a mine of information you are!

My thanks to all. I'll keep reading these forums and if I think I can add anything to help anybody, then I surely will.

• 1 month later...