UPDATE

KRUNG THAI BANK

Court issues warrant for Thaksin

Anupan Chantana,

Praphan Jindalertudomdee

The Nation

30192201-01_big.jpg

Ex-PM's arrest ordered for failure to appear in suspect-loans case

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court yesterday issued an arrest warrant against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for not being present to hear the court's decision to proceed with the Krung Thai Bank loan scandal case.

Thaksin, the first defendant in the case, is accused of collaborating with 26 others to have the state-owned bank approve loans for firms under the Krisda Mahanakorn Group. The 26 other defendants include the bank's then-managing director Viroj Nualkair, who appeared in court yesterday to hear the decision. The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office has set the next hearing on January 25, when it will listen to the defendants and public prosecutors verify the evidence. The case against Thaksin will be suspended pending arrest.

The court reasoned yesterday that Thaksin had been informed of the schedule, but since he refused to turn up he would be regarded as fleeing. Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said yesterday that Thaksin refused to accept anything resulting from the 2006 military coup or any cases that were investigated by the Assets Examination Committee. Thaksin insists that he was never involved in the approval of the Krung Thai loans and did not believe there was any evidence linking him to it.

"Will taking legal action against Thaksin on cases taken up after the military coup bring about reconciliation? Thaksin should receive justice under the normal legal process, not what has resulted from the coup," Noppadon said.

The case was first investigated by the AEC, which had been set up by the coup-makers in 2006.

The main prosecution claim in the case is that Thaksin abused his office to influence the bank's decision to grant loans to real-estate developer Krisda Mahanakorn despite the company's poor credit rating.

The case will focus on three transactions worth more than Bt10 billion in total. All the transactions took place during Thaksin's time as premier.

Yesterday's arrest warrant is the sixth warrant faced by Thaksin since he fled the country ahead of the Supreme Court's ruling on the Ratchadapisek land case in 2008.

The first arrest warrant was issued by Supreme Court, when Thaksin failed to attend the first hearing in the Export-Import Bank case on September 16, 2008.

The second and the third warrants were also issued by the Supreme Court in the same year for failing to attend the first hearings for the two- and three-digit lotteries and the telecommunication excise tax cases respectively.

The fourth warrant was issued by the Supreme Court on October 21, 2008, when Thaksin was sentenced to two years in jail for abusing power to facilitate a deal for his then-wife Pojaman na Pombejra allowing her to buy a Ratchadapisek land plot worth Bt772 million from the state.

The fifth warrant came from the Criminal Court on May 25, 2010, over terrorism charges. The court has yet to hear from the plaintiff's witnesses.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-12

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did He ever return the dozen accolades and honorary citations he received from esteemed Thai institutions?

If he did, I'll eat my flip flops. (pass the msg please, this rubber sole is a bit tough on the canines).

No, he didn't.

Similar to his Cousin Foreign Minister violating his own Foreign Ministry regulations by re-issuing a convicted criminal fugitive a new passport, Thaksin never complied with his own regulations that he himself instituted. ermm.gifbah.gif

Thus what former Government Spokesman and current multiple-indicted Red Shirt Leader and current Deputy Agriculture Minister Nattawut reported four years ago never happened.

Thaksin willing to return royal decorations

The Nation - October 13, 2008

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will likely agree to return all of his royal decorations if required to by law, Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said yesterday.

If Thaksin fails to appeal the Supreme Court's guilty verdict and two-year jail sentence against him in the Ratchadaphisek land case, the Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao would need to be recalled.

A PM's Office decree endorsed by then-PM Thaksin in August 2005 gives eight criteria for the recalling of royal decorations, including if a person is convicted by the highest court and ordered to serve time in prison.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Epilogue: Thaksin DID fail to appeal his guilty verdict, but has never complied with the recall law he himself signed.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

There is a dam_n site more complaining about passport delivery on Tvisa than ever there is in England Rubl,......perhaps you should diversify to keep your edge from blunting......

BIt cranky aren't we, now that your democracy hero got yet another arrest warrant! Why don't you just accept the fact that mister Thaksin is a ruthless criminal, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

There is a dam_n site more complaining about passport delivery on Tvisa than ever there is in England Rubl,......perhaps you should diversify to keep your edge from blunting......

BIt cranky aren't we, now that your democracy hero got yet another arrest warrant! Why don't you just accept the fact that mister Thaksin is a ruthless criminal, nothing more nothing less.

'ruthless criminal' lol, you must be seriously obsessed with the guy...

Of course the red team here knows that Thaksin is a ruthless criminal. That's why they adore him. He did what they would never even dream to dare and made a shxxload of money.from it.

The evidence hasn't even been submitted to the court. Don't know why there are a lot of frothers on here trumpeting on about his guilt.

I wonder if they'll allow prosecution witnesses to give testimony in secret, as with the Ratchada case.

But surely you'd have to admit, he is clearly guilty of failing to show up in court, as all the other defendants managed to do ?

And that's why the Supreme Court has issued the warrant.

No, the military junta did not set up state run agencies for the specific purpose of finding fault with the other 26.

So you don't think he is guilty of failing to show up in court, which is why this particular arrest-warrant has been issued, a simple Yes/No will do, no need to fulminate about events several years/governments ago, in an attempt to drag the thread off-course ! rolleyes.gif

The evidence hasn't even been submitted to the court. Don't know why there are a lot of frothers on here trumpeting on about his guilt.

I wonder if they'll allow prosecution witnesses to give testimony in secret, as with the Ratchada case.

But surely you'd have to admit, he is clearly guilty of failing to show up in court, as all the other defendants managed to do ?

No, the military junta did not set up state run agencies for the specific purpose of finding fault with the other 26.

So you don't think he is guilty of failing to show up in court, which is why this particular arrest-warrant has been issued, a simple Yes/No will do, no need to fulminate about events several years/governments ago, in an attempt to drag the thread off-course ! rolleyes.gif

No. If he was still, rightfully the PM he would have been there. Unfortunately he has been illegally deposed and maliciously vilified and persecuted by several groups of selfish, self-serving individuals.

Supreme Court issues arrest warrant against Thaksin

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court Thursday issued an arrest warrant against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for failing to turn up to hear the court's decision to proceed with the Krung Thai Bank loan scandal case.

Thaksin is the first defendant in the case, accused of collaborating with 26 others to have the state-owned bank approved loans for some firms in the Krissadanakhon group.

The 26 others appeared in the court to hear the court's decision. The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office scheduled the next hearing on January 25 for the 26 defendants and public prosecutors to verify evidences. The case against Thaksin will be suspended pending his arrest.

The court reasoned that Thaksin has been informed of the schedule Thursday but refused to turn up so he was regarded as fleeing from the trial.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-11

Just another tiny slap on the fingers, which won't make any differences.

Thaksin will still be free, traveling around the globe, enjoy life and many different cultures, at the very expense of Thailand's and "cluelessly ripped off-foreign investor's and entrepreneur's tax money" that are the actual profits based in those FAKE mega projects and so on… Blood money, corruption money....

I wonder what it takes to arrest a political criminal, but NO!!!! The coup makers just LET HIM ESCAPE!!!!!

Edited by MaxLee

No. If he was still, rightfully the PM he would have been there. Unfortunately he has been illegally deposed and maliciously vilified and persecuted by several groups of selfish, self-serving individuals.

Now there's an interesting statement!

Apart from the 'still', rightfully PM or not, he didn't appear or asked for postponement and therefor the Supreme Court issued an arrest warrant.

As for the 'maliciously villified' I always felt pity for k. Abhisit. The 'selfish, self-serving individuals' probably brings us back to the topic of k. Thaksin smile.png

I wonder what it takes to arrest a political criminal, but NO!!!! The coup makers just LET HIM ESCAPE!!!!!

and possibly a smart move on their part, he is out of the country cant come back...causes less problems, hence the reason they never requested interpol to arrest him either... to me it was a clever move

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

and possibly a smart move on their part, he is out of the country cant come back...causes less problems, hence the reason they never requested interpol to arrest him either... to me it was a clever move

At the time, it seemed so, but with perfect 20/20 hindsight, a coup of a slightly more robust (not to mention permanent) nature would have saved the country many of its present troubles.

Plus the fact that if he had considered ) had any legal substance d his chances of overturning the verdict ( which was based purely on Thai law and evidencehe would have stayed on to do so.

Obviously his devious mouthpiece on manipulating matters of law in his favour knew this and advised him to go while he had the chance.

Also of course as mentioned earlier there was the matter of several other charges to follow and take into account, of which his chances of getting a not guilty verdict, based once again on Thai law and evidence were slim to zero.

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

IMHO Thailand's bail system needs a serious overhaul and rethink. Allowing convicted murderers bail, allowing low life scum politicians passports to swan off to visit other criminals or to take a holiday is simply inane.

If a billionaire with his own private jet wants bail, there should absolutely be a confiscation of passport, and given the porous nature of this countries borders, bail should be set in the BILLIONS of baht irrevocably lost if the defendant fails to appear.

Then they could rework the system where those to be charged are invited to attend a police station, instead sending the BIB around with a warrant and handcuffs. Yes, a huge loss of face, but if you do the crime, expect it to happen.

KRUNG THAI BANK

Court issues warrant for Thaksin

30192201-01_big.jpg

Ex-PM's arrest ordered for failure to appear in suspect-loans case

accused of collaborating with 26 others to have the state-owned bank approve loans for firms under the Krisda Mahanakorn Group.

Thaksin abused his office to influence the bank's decision to grant loans to real-estate developer Krisda Mahanakorn despite the company's poor credit rating.

The case will focus on three transactions worth more than Bt10 billion in total. All the transactions took place during Thaksin's time as premier.

This would be a very interesting report to read on the company involved's tactics and strategies on being approved Billions of Baht in loans while essentially bankrupt:

The Tactical & Strategic Report on KRISDA MAHANAKORN PLC

The results are extensive, far reaching and essential research for all those searching for highly sophisticated Tactical & Strategic information on Krisdamahanakorn.

Report Contents:- The report has three main constituent parts, the Corporate data, the Market Research data, and the Business Planning tools.

but the cost of purchasing the report is rather steep:

$ 14,137.69

http://www.bharatboo...ge-Edition.html

Edited by Buchholz

There are a dozen major corruption cases with Thaksin at the center of it. Most of them are a result of abuse of power when he was the Role Model Leader of a Country.

There are 6 arrest warrants outstanding for Thaksin.

There are still people here on TV that are trying to "convince" us that Thaksin hasn't done anything wrong.

Who are they trying to fool one might wonder..

If I understand it right Thaksin "advised" KTB to grant 10 billion in loans to companies related to him even though he knew the companies would never to pay back the money.

Companies go bust and money is gone...

(Anybody please correct me if I am wrong (convince me)).

Edited by Nickymaster

Just another tiny slap on the fingers, which won't make any differences.

Thaksin will still be free, traveling around the globe, enjoy life and many different cultures, at the very expense of Thailand's and "cluelessly ripped off-foreign investor's and entrepreneur's tax money" that are the actual profits based in those FAKE mega projects and so on… Blood money, corruption money....

Just to point out that it was actually the Thaksinista PPP-led government which was in power, and not "the coup makers" (the junta or junta-appointed government of PM-Sorayud ?) who "just LET HIM ESCAPE".

Not that there was any nepotism, or influence brought to bear on the courts, of course.

• Like 1

There are a dozen major corruption cases with Thaksin at the center of it. Most of them are a result of abuse of power when he was the Role Model Leader of a Country.

There are 6 arrest warrants outstanding for Thaksin.

There are still people here on TV that are trying to "convince" us that Thaksin hasn't done anything wrong.

Who are they trying to fool one might wonder..

Themselves.....

• Like 1

Not clever or smart in my opinion...I'd call it cowardly.

Not clever or smart in my opinion...I'd call it cowardly.

It was probably a deal that he gets to leave, but should shut up. Well, it didn't work out so well did it

• Like 1