Outdoor Pond, Sunlight, Algae And Uv Light Filter

zippydedodah

OK...so i made a 10'X10' outdoor pond - average depth about 18". I made it out of concrete.It has stabilized and fish are thriving after about 6 weeks.

We get some green algae on the bottom - not long stringy algae floating in the water... just settled on the concrete sides and bottom.

We were at Shogun Farms and they suggested a UV filter that we could install - the wife was the one who was checking it out.

Anyways.. i missed all the conversation with the fish guys and did not even see the equipment (did hear that it was 2000+ baht though!).

Just wondering if anyone has used these things before and how effective they are. The guys at the shop have never steered me wrong, but before i drop that kind of baht, i wanna

check things out.

BTW... about 1/3 of the pond is in sunlight during the day.

TIA

zippy

Hey Zip

I had a huge cement pond outside Pattaya a few years ago and it turned into a algae machine. Pretty much any, mostly standing water, in the sun will get it.

Before you buy the offered cure, try to find some chemical that will do the trick without killing off the fish. A small fountain might help also. Over feeding the fish will also produce phosphate in the water which anything green loves.

UV filters do work although the lamps can be very expensive and will require replacing after a set period, ususally the manufacturers recommendations work out about yearly. May I suggest a bio filter. Easy enough to make and essential for healthy water. First and foremost the filter, with the aid of bacteria, convert the fish waste into more managable nitrates. Depending on the size and quantity of fish the waste may end up killing the fish, I had that happen some time ago. The nitrates will encourage more algae but you can balance that by puttting other plants in the water that can make use of those nitrates which will then deprive the algae. It is a question of balance. Filtering out solids is purely secondary.

If you Google DIY pond bio filter you will find any number of sites detailing the subject although this one might get you started.

http://skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

My pond is 1m deep and 11000 litres and I can just see the bottom which is clear enough for me. The filter is a bit on the small side being a 350l tank with a venturi added to increase oxygen to the filter tank but it does well enough for what I want. Tanks and media are readily available around town. No UV filter required. Any questions just PM me.

UV filters do work although the lamps can be very expensive and will require replacing after a set period, ususally the manufacturers recommendations work out about yearly. May I suggest a bio filter. Easy enough to make and essential for healthy water. First and foremost the filter, with the aid of bacteria, convert the fish waste into more managable nitrates. Depending on the size and quantity of fish the waste may end up killing the fish, I had that happen some time ago. The nitrates will encourage more algae but you can balance that by puttting other plants in the water that can make use of those nitrates which will then deprive the algae. It is a question of balance. Filtering out solids is purely secondary.

If you Google DIY pond bio filter you will find any number of sites detailing the subject although this one might get you started.

My pond is 1m deep and 11000 litres and I can just see the bottom which is clear enough for me. The filter is a bit on the small side being a 350l tank with a venturi added to increase oxygen to the filter tank but it does well enough for what I want. Tanks and media are readily available around town. No UV filter required. Any questions just PM me.

I already have a biological filter in place - guess i could have mentioned that. One i bought from the folks at Shogun and filled the inside with the correct (i.e. expensive) rocks, plastic bio filters and two types of solid filters (white and green types).... have plenty (but not TOO many) of plants, etc... so i am satisfied that the "good" bacteria is stable and doing its job. I can see fairly well to the bottom of the pond, but before we put fish in, filter in-line and plants it... of course the water was crystal clear.... i know it is too much to expect that it will ever be crystal clear... just wondering if the UV light filtration would really help - or not.

I already have a biological filter in place - guess i could have mentioned that. One i bought from the folks at Shogun and filled the inside with the correct (i.e. expensive) rocks, plastic bio filters and two types of solid filters (white and green types).... have plenty (but not TOO many) of plants, etc... so i am satisfied that the "good" bacteria is stable and doing its job. I can see fairly well to the bottom of the pond, but before we put fish in, filter in-line and plants it... of course the water was crystal clear.... i know it is too much to expect that it will ever be crystal clear... just wondering if the UV light filtration would really help - or not.

I kept koi in the UK , and you could see a pin head in the bottom of my pond.....NO PLANTS at all in the pond just an external filter...But with NO plants you must have a UV light to keep it clear (and they work well) i got 2 years from a uv tube(bulb)..and they are a low current user once lit....get one you wont regret it......dont use the chemical method...they are just coagulants that clump the algae together to be caught in a mechanical filter (GreenAway..my arse) and they are not good for the fish either, can cause them stress..

Zippy

You said algae growing on the bottom, solid algae, not the microscopic floating stuff. It sounds as if you have have all the sustaining filters and plants you need. You are lucky. I think that is easy to take care of by just getting some algae eaters.

I have similar pond but with tile instead of plain concrete. I have a jug fountain in the middle that gets solid algae growing on the outside because no fish can get to it. But I have absolutely no algae in the pond because, I will say, I have a whole bunch of algae eaters.

When I clean the jug and the algae falls into the pond, all the little mosquito fish (neons, peacock tail, whatever) come flocking over to eat it. So I know those little fish will eat algae, but I also wanted the real thing.

For algae eater variety, I got both black and orange red finned sharks (that is what Shogun called them) and plain ole algae eaters. They all look the same except for the red fins. They are all "surface sucking" fish. Some of my older ones are 6-7 inches long. I also got some suckers which now range in size up to some 20 inches. These fish have kept the bottom and walls algae clean for several years now.

I put a UV light in my filter and I want to say it kills the floating algae and who knows what else out of the pond. Over a year ago I started seeing a faint green tint and discovered the UV bulb had burnt out. Replaced it and problem went away. But I do have a cover over most of the pond. Maybe 20% of it gets sun for an hour or 2 or 3 a day, depending upon the season. And that makes a big difference.

I got the best UV light I could find, strongest and best brand, for about 750 baht, if I remember correctly. It is just a 23 inch tube in a standard self contained electronic fixture (no removable starter). I get a long service life out of it but, being only some 9 inches above the water and under a cover, either the fixture and/or the bulb will from the humidity and fail before the bulb burns out. My current fixture is over a year old, I think, and the bulb has lasted some 8 or 9 months so far.

Neighbor across the street gets some 50% sun every day and has 2 UV lights. When it is really hot and humid and bright sun all day, he gets a GREEN pond. Cooler, drier sunny days? OK. Rainy days OK. Only the hot days with day after day of sunshine. But you do not have that problem.

1. Ponds, a blackhole where your money goes.

2. I might add swimming pools and

3. old british cars as well

1. fully agree

2. disagree

3. wholeheartedly agree but it's a lot of fun for an <deleted> lot of money

E1rsmall.jpg

Zippy

You said algae growing on the bottom, solid algae, not the microscopic floating stuff. It sounds as if you have have all the sustaining filters and plants you need. You are lucky. I think that is easy to take care of by just getting some algae eaters.

I have similar pond but with tile instead of plain concrete. I have a jug fountain in the middle that gets solid algae growing on the outside because no fish can get to it. But I have absolutely no algae in the pond because, I will say, I have a whole bunch of algae eaters.

When I clean the jug and the algae falls into the pond, all the little mosquito fish (neons, peacock tail, whatever) come flocking over to eat it. So I know those little fish will eat algae, but I also wanted the real thing.

For algae eater variety, I got both black and orange red finned sharks (that is what Shogun called them) and plain ole algae eaters. They all look the same except for the red fins. They are all "surface sucking" fish. Some of my older ones are 6-7 inches long. I also got some suckers which now range in size up to some 20 inches. These fish have kept the bottom and walls algae clean for several years now.

I put a UV light in my filter and I want to say it kills the floating algae and who knows what else out of the pond. Over a year ago I started seeing a faint green tint and discovered the UV bulb had burnt out. Replaced it and problem went away. But I do have a cover over most of the pond. Maybe 20% of it gets sun for an hour or 2 or 3 a day, depending upon the season. And that makes a big difference.

I got the best UV light I could find, strongest and best brand, for about 750 baht, if I remember correctly. It is just a 23 inch tube in a standard self contained electronic fixture (no removable starter). I get a long service life out of it but, being only some 9 inches above the water and under a cover, either the fixture and/or the bulb will from the humidity and fail before the bulb burns out. My current fixture is over a year old, I think, and the bulb has lasted some 8 or 9 months so far.

Neighbor across the street gets some 50% sun every day and has 2 UV lights. When it is really hot and humid and bright sun all day, he gets a GREEN pond. Cooler, drier sunny days? OK. Rainy days OK. Only the hot days with day after day of sunshine. But you do not have that problem.

thanks for all the tips and info. I do have algae eaters... one very large one who feeds on the bottom and got him a couple of pals last week. I was thinking of just getting a few more and seeing what happens.

I am actually quite pleased with the pond, the way it has settled in and not TOO concerned about the clarity... but if i can improve it, for the right price, i might be convinced to do it.

So if i read you correctly... you have a UV light that sits out of the pond, not in it. Which is different from the 2K filter UV light that shogun is selling now which actually sucks the water in and passes it over the light... similar to my UV water filter i use in my house. I will have to do some more research and see how the pond shakes out with a few more algae eaters.

Zippy

thanks for all the tips and info. I do have algae eaters... one very large one who feeds on the bottom and got him a couple of pals last week. I was thinking of just getting a few more and seeing what happens.

I am actually quite pleased with the pond, the way it has settled in and not TOO concerned about the clarity... but if i can improve it, for the right price, i might be convinced to do it.

So if i read you correctly... you have a UV light that sits out of the pond, not in it. Which is different from the 2K filter UV light that shogun is selling now which actually sucks the water in and passes it over the light... similar to my UV water filter i use in my house. I will have to do some more research and see how the pond shakes out with a few more algae eaters.

Zippy

Concur with not using the chemicals to clear the algae, I killed off my first bunch of koi when I tried that route. I have since had Koi in my pond since 2006 and they are very happy. UV filters work great (I have one installed just after my pump, before a bead biologic filter), but make sure you buy a could of spre bulbs for your unit (they burn out after a year or two).

The other route you could try is a shade over your pond (cut out the light and you will cut down on the algae). The algae is OK for the Koi as long as your pond chemistry is right. It is just hard to see your fish.

Zippy

I agree with Zippy, it sound like you have a health pond.