Chiang Mai Or Hua Hin?

davofromoz

Thanks samsipet for the referral, I will look them up. Maybe the unemployment of professional accountants in Bangkok might be high enough that there may be a few (7-10) that might like a fresh change. Maybe they are stuck in Bangkok as they don't have much opportunity to change. I have been to Bangkok a few times and enjoyed it but to live in the city every day with

Smog, crime , political tension and traffic issues, not sure there might not be some Thais that would like a move to chiang Mai or hua hin?

I've lived in Bangkok for 2.5 years and haven't seen any crime at all. Haven't noticed any political tension either. Traffic - yes lots of that. But the vast majority of people I know want to live here. They aren't going to uproot their whole lives for a job in Chiang Mai. Unemployment here is practically zero, so doubt you will find many unemployed accountants. If you do, you have to ask yourself how good they are if they can't get a job in a city with near zero unemployment.

I have heard that 20000 bht might encourage them to move to hua hin during week, does this sound plausible?

I would question the air quality in Hua Hin - Although not comparable to CM air pollution almost the whole of Hua Hin is like a building site and the dust really does get everywhere - When I first came here I lived on a quiet road heading out to the countryside - 3 years later, they are building a four lane carriage way outside and there are shop houses going up everywhere (do they know how to build anything else) This said, the air quality is good provided you stand on the shore looking out to sea!

After 6 years this is news to me. A slight exaggeration, perhaps?

I would question the air quality in Hua Hin - Although not comparable to CM air pollution almost the whole of Hua Hin is like a building site and the dust really does get everywhere - When I first came here I lived on a quiet road heading out to the countryside - 3 years later, they are building a four lane carriage way outside and there are shop houses going up everywhere (do they know how to build anything else) This said, the air quality is good provided you stand on the shore looking out to sea!

Outside of the main drags (and the main drags) they are building everywhere and if not building related dust its the crap from unfinished/rudimentary roads.

I am talking about my particular locale which is Soi 88 southward and westward - The Klong road is also a building site with a new 4 lane carriage way being built, same with soi 112. Sois 94 + 102 are also dust ridden the further west you go with properties springing up before the necessary infrastructure is in place. If that is news to you I suggest you have a little drive around outside the centre of town tomorrow.

Edited by Richie1971

Outside of the main drags (and the main drags) they are building everywhere and if not building related dust its the crap from unfinished/rudimentary roads.

I am talking about my particular locale which is Soi 88 southward and westward - The Klong road is also a building site with a new 4 lane carriage way being built, same with soi 112. Sois 94 + 102 are also dust ridden the further west you go with properties springing up before the necessary infrastructure is in place. If that is news to you I suggest you have a little drive around outside the centre of town tomorrow.

Richie, four sois between 88 and 112 don't constitute the whole of HH, neither does the section of the klong road where they are widening the road. Road works are necessary all over the world and just something that must be endured sooner or later. Just thinking you were overstating it a tad. Cheers.

Edited by johnnyk

Richie, four sois between 88 and 112 don't constitute the whole of HH, neither does the section of the klong road where they are widening the road. Road works are necessary all over the world and just something that must be endured sooner or later. Just thinking you were overstating it a tad. Cheers.

Well perhaps a tad, but the ongoing development I've seen in the 4 years I have been here is major. They seem to be building shophouses everywhere and anywhere with an open space is either being developed or being sold for building

Out of Hua Hin, and Chiengmai, sure Cha-am will be a much cheaper place to live, and also a very nice place.

For business, no idea what kind of business you want to start, as a farang tot start a business in Thailand is difficult enough, never mind where in Thaiand

I am setting up another accounting branch from Australia doing Australian Taxes, so should be easy as not selling or doing any trade in Thailand, just need some reliable hard working Thai accountants (is there any?)

Good luck in meeting your staff requirements in Hua Hin. Perhaps you should consider setting up the business in Bangkok where you will have a much better chance of finding some "reliable hard working Thai accountants".

An office in Bangkok and with Hua Hin only a couple of hours away by car you could spend your weekends there. It will take you about the same time to get to Chiang Mai which is only an hours flight away.

I would also suggest that you rent accomodation where ever you decide on. Buying property is easy but selling is an entirely different matter.

Thanks for the advice I am well aware of reselling property, it's bad all around the world, renting is my only option. If hua hin is not great to attract professionals then I would rather live in chiang Mai than Bangkok for lots of reasons, surely there must be qualified accountants that would move to chiang Mai which is best place to live apparently if they had a good safe secure job paying fair wages?

Forget any Western style logic you have when it comes to things like salary, work, well prity much anything. Just from my experience staffing will be your biggest problem and the nearer to BKK you are for that kind of work the better, in my experience. Another 4-5k per month would not swing them away from BKK to CM i dont think.

Do you think that accountants would move from BKK to Hua Hin? Its only 2 hrs away? I'm considering changing to Hua Hin from Chiang Mai, partly for the beach lifestyle but also as its closer to BKK.

Most will have a wife/husband that also works in BKK and maybe also children that go to school in BKK. All their friends will also mostly likely live in BKK. I can't see what incentive there is for them to move. It would mean their wife/husband also having to find a new job, the kids having to move school and lose all their friends, and all the disruption of moving. I just can't see many wanting to do that. And if you target single people, then they are more likely to want to stay in BKK.

For the first time in six years, I just came back to CM from Hua Hin, and was shocked to see how much it has grown. It was a delightful couple of weeks of going to the beach and gazing at the water--it is really good therapy for me.

I would like to go down to the Cha-am/ Hua Hin area for the months of March/April while the burning is at its peak in the north. Can anyone suggest any reputable agencies who rent apartments/houses for two months ?

I would not want to livin either but really think cm is a big zero not to mention the fires and other pollution.

Can't help but note the irony in that comment, in the context of your screenname. whistling.gif

why not consider areas like khao kolak,25min drive south o hua hin,nice beach.In fact you can sit in the shade of the mountain on the beach in the afternoon and swim in the clean ocean.Plenty of restaurants and scatterings of 5 star resorts along the waterfront,no high rise condos and a lovely flat beach front road with little traffic,nice place to cruise on a bicycle.

Lots of town houses close to the beach for rent and a few 3 or 4yo town houses within walking distance of water for under 2million baht.

Tesco and makro within 15min drive and fresh seafood sold by the fisherman on the waterfront every morning.