1 Day Over On Non Immigrant Visa.penalties?

Has anyone any recent experience of this situation?....if I arrive 1 day after the expiry of my non immigrant visa(at Suvannapum airport), I believe the authorities allow 1 day over and do not impose the 500b overstay fee, can anyone confirm that this is the case? and perhaps more importantly, if they make any kind of record of the 1 day overstay? I would like to keep my book clean but have an unfortunate clash of dates on my 'last' day. Any thoughts/recent experiences would as ever be appreciated. P

The stamp is a 'maybe' thing, I think!

3 Friends of mine didn't get one, but overstayed 2 days

Another friend got one, overstayed one day.

The difference was: They did put the money into the passport, he didn't.

He got led to the extra counter for overstayed people, they got their passports back from the 'chosen one'.

Maybe the one was very happy with 3000 baht at his counter, the other one with only 500, not even offered discretely, wasn't. Who knows. whistling.gif

More important: The friend of mine with the stamp, he came back a week after, on the next entry of his multiple O Visa :

No problems, anyway.

Edited by noob7

A friend has Non B Visa and after 3 months,he extended and they gave him only 7 days extension because he was a Nigerian,and again he did not leave in his 7 days extension he again over stay 3 days and paid 1500 Baht at the Airport,he just wrote me to say the Thais embassy is not giving him Visa with all documents complete,he want to know why? Anyone has idea as to the reason?

Ignoring overstay penalties! I don't think so, last time I was leaving on the 00:05 flight I went through the immigration before midnight on the last day of my visa but still got charged for overstaying because the plane was leaving after midnight.It all depends on who is sitting behind the counter, there is no point arguing with the immigration staff if you do you can be sure to get a remark in your file.

There is no fine collected on an overstay less then one day at Bangkok airport. If more than one day it is collected. Exit date is your permitted to stay stamp date you received on arrival (not your visa date).

As for visa issue the requirements are set by the Embassy and can vary - there is no fixed set of documents that guarantees a visa will be issued - there is no 7 day extension because he is Nigerian - there is 7 days to depart if extension of stay is not approved (which it appears he failed to do).

• Like 1

One day overstay may depend of the immigration officer. Calculate some extra time for check in, as if they fine you, there will be some paperwork. May take 15-30 minutes or up to one hour. When fine is paid, case is closed. You may get a stamp in your pasport, but that dosn't matter for future Visas.

One day overstay may depend of the immigration officer. Calculate some extra time for check in, as if they fine you, there will be some paperwork. May take 15-30 minutes or up to one hour. When fine is paid, case is closed. You may get a stamp in your pasport, but that dosn't matter for future Visas.

In case, the money is already in your passport, this will speed up the process.

Also 'mostly' no stamp!

Edited by noob7

Ignoring overstay penalties! I don't think so, last time I was leaving on the 00:05 flight I went through the immigration before midnight on the last day of my visa but still got charged for overstaying because the plane was leaving after midnight.It all depends on who is sitting behind the counter, there is no point arguing with the immigration staff if you do you can be sure to get a remark in your file.

Many times in the past my flight left after midnight, I planned it that way. As long as you go air-side before midnight there should be no problem as you have left the Kingdom before overstaying. The only comment I ever received from immigration was, "you leave it very late".

Many times in the past my flight left after midnight, I planned it that way. As long as you go air-side before midnight there should be no problem as you have left the Kingdom before overstaying. The only comment I ever received from immigration was, "you leave it very late".

This isn't true.

It's not the time, you cross the immigration, it's the time, your plane is leaving by schedule!

What the officer doing with this, ....!

And reading, that Bangkok isn't charging for the day one, in case it is only day one: Phuket is charging for day one.

I Overstayed a couple of times, Land borders and Thai Airports, Don Mueang, Phuket and Suvarnabhumi, never waited more than 5 minutes.

At borders or Airports where there is the possibility to go straight to the desk or office to pay the fine

or to get only my stamp in the Passport (1 day Overstay), I use that possibility.

I was sometimes even faster as the regular guys in the queue- so in Don Mueang, Phuket and Nong Khai. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

There is no fine collected on an overstay less then one day at Bangkok airport. If more than one day it is collected. Exit date is your permitted to stay stamp date you received on arrival (not your visa date).

As for visa issue the requirements are set by the Embassy and can vary - there is no fixed set of documents that guarantees a visa will be issued - there is no 7 day extension because he is Nigerian - there is 7 days to depart if extension of stay is not approved (which it appears he failed to do).

Thanks for your comment,if i understand you well, is it because he fail to leave within this 7 days that he is not getting new Visa to return? Am suprised why the Labour Ministry issued him a work permit and immigration refuse to give extension as required by law?

There is no requirement to issue an extension of stay with or without a work permit - you must qualify for any extension of stay by meeting conditions and for work that would involve a work permit, meeting income conditions for your nationality and company paperwork (this is not available for at least a year for new companies). There are many people working legally that can not extend there stay.

As for issue of visa have no idea but suspect he does not meet requirements of the Consulate to issue the visa. But if he was working on overstay it would have been in violation of work permit rules.

Am suprised why the Labour Ministry issued him a work permit and immigration refuse to give extension as required by law?

To issue a wp is done on other premises, than the extension of stay!

Labor is looking for the kind of a job, and that 'only' a Farang can do it

immigration is looking, that the person earns, eh, get paid/taxed the decent amount of money, to stay in Thailand. Also that this job is a benefit for a minimum of 4 Thai People.

that's what a lot of people confuse. Besides that a multiple entry Visa is normally not meant for working purposes at all, people should be happy, that labor is accepting it, and not request the extension of stay, after the first 3 month!

Or does anyone know other countries, where having a legal job and a wp leads to visa runs? I do not know one!

This isn't true.

It's not the time, you cross the immigration, it's the time, your plane is leaving by schedule!

And reading, that Bangkok isn't charging for the day one, in case it is only day one: Phuket is charging for day one.

Yes, it IS true. I have done the same.

By International Agreement, once you cross the threshhold of Immigration to the secure area of the airport, you are

considered to have exited the territory of the host country.

This isn't true.

Yes, it IS true. I have done the same.

By International Agreement, once you cross the threshhold of Immigration to the secure area of the airport, you are

considered to have exited the territory of the host country.

I heard about so, and I saw so (stamped into the passport of a friend of mine). Who really knows?

Also I think, I did read somewhere at one Airport (Bkk or HKT), that it isn't the time/day, you cross the immigration, it is the time/day, your flight is scheduled, to leave! And maybe Bkk is doing different, as HKT, anyway.

But it's not the first topic, about this. I had a quick search (on google :-), got one:

Other 'report' is here:

http://stuckinthailand.com/thailand/getting-a-tourist-visa-for-thailand

a bit older.

But anyway, this is only important for the few people, leaving at the early hours after the last granted day.

500 Baht max, maybe a stamp.

It's worth a shot, and as earlier you can check through, as bigger the chance, the officer will let you go.

5 minutes to twelve is obvious, but 10pm is a 50/50, that he even not checked the departure time. Or the departure date, that is the next day!whistling.gif

Hi, Pleased to advise that I passed thru Don Muang last week without a problem, no fine/only a jotted note next to 'out' stamp. Both officers present said something like 'only 1 day, no problem....'

Actually quite enjoyed the Don Muang experience, it had been freshened up a bit, sparse crowds meant could do things quickly.

P

Here's my story 3 month ago.

The immigration office in BKK told me if I overstayed 1 day I will not be given a red stamp but a 500 baht fine. They all recommended me to overstay that 1 day instead of paying the 1900 baht it cost for a 7 days extension.

They insisted on overstaying 1 day didn't have any consequences what so ever. They told me I'll just have to pay a fine of 500 baht at the airport when leaving the country.

Though I chose to "trust" them on that and overstayed 1 day, the visa control lady (right after the passport control) didn't notice it or she just let me through without ripping me off. Perhaps it was my smile :D

whistling.gif In regards to that one day overstay thing.

There is no "requirement" for immigration to excuse you that one day overstay.

Now, as a general rule, they will usually allow you that one day and not charge you overstay.

But to be clear, it is their choice.

One of the reasons is that due to time zone differences and the preferred arrival times in Europe and the U.S. many departing international flights leave Thailand after midnight.

That brings their landing times in Europe or the U.S. into daytime hours.

The Thais know this, and normally that extra day (caused by flights departing after midnight) is just ignored by immigration.

However, if they think you are deliberately stretching the rules, they CAN insist on following the rules strictly.

Like must human beings, if they think you are deliberately pushing the limits, they can get testy.

As I hear, there are some airlines that are deliberately provoking the Thai immigration by pushing the limits on their tolerance....deliberately selling 31 day tickets.

It isn't smart to tweak the caged Tiger's nose. Tha Tiger, even caged, has sharp claws.

whistling.gif

You are most likely right on that. I wouldn't recommend it either.

That's why I wrote trust in apostrophe. I've learned that honesty doesn't weigh much in Thailand. Thai people lie alot, for all kinds of reasons. not just to farangs but also between thai friends and family. No one seems to care much about it like we farangs do.