Why Thailand Has Left Traffic When The Country Was Never Colonizing?

Sandman77

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because the first car in Thailand was a gift from the English Queen to the King of Thailand.

In the UK they also happen to drive at the wrong side of the road.

OI! I'll have you know the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side. laugh.png

(Do you want a history lesson to explore the facts behind driving on the left?)

Do you want a history lesson to explore the facts behind driving on the left?

Yes, I do.

Doesn't it have something to do with horses and carts. A long time ago I met a Frenchman (in Paris) who said that there is a perfect logic to driving on the left.

I forget what he said. But I do remember that he talked about horses and carts. I guess he was referring back to pre-Victorian times when horse-drawn carriages were the norm in Britain and Europe.

I do know that you're right and that there is a real reason why it's better to drive on the left.

for me ,is always diffucult to change in my mind,sometime exident happens,because of this!

Same thing happens when you drive here for long time and visit a country with right hand side traffic.

Using the gears with left hand and holding the wheel with right does make more sense to me as I'm right handed.

• Like 1

Because the first car in Thailand was a gift from the English Queen to the King of Thailand.

OI! I'll have you know the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side. laugh.png

Yes, I do.

Doesn't it have something to do with horses and carts. A long time ago I met a Frenchman (in Paris) who said that there is a perfect logic to driving on the left.

It's to do with sword arms.

Was Napoleon responsible for driving on the right then?

• Like 2

Yes, I do.

Same thing as opening the doors for females ? Better have them impaled by the enemy waiting on the other side than try your luck ?

Yes, I do.

Way past my bed time, but that's exactly right. It's what the French man from Paris told me. Thanks.

Yes, I do.

I forget what he said. But I do remember that he talked about horses and carts. I guess he was referring back to pre-Victorian times when horse-drawn carriages were the norm in Britain and Europe.

I do know that you're right and that there is a real reason why it's better to drive on the left.

As far as I understand it, (having said that, I am about to get flamed by our cogniscenti), I believe it goes back to the days of knights on hoseback...If they passed each other on the left, it allowed them to take a good swipe at their opponent with their sword. Since most people are / were right handed, this gave them a longer reach, otherwise they would have to reach across their own body and their horse. It also meant that they could hold their shield with their left hand, which meant that the shield guarded their vbody without obstructing their sword arm.

At least, that is what I recall, but I was always asleep in history lessons at school....

Comments as per above. This is what I now now remember. Thank you for reminding me.

The French man always said that the British system has a perfect logic.

If you look at pictures of the British House of Commons you'll see two red lines in the floor.These lines are supposed to be two sword lengths apart to stop members of opposing parties from skewering each other when they get worked up. The English reputation for violence is well deserved.

swords.jpg

Bunch of chinless wonders there.... spend all their time mass debating and behaving worse than my unruly 16 year old classes at school....

Edited by Rob8891

Well, I saw the Royal Wedding and concluded that the British still use horse and buggy transportation, even for the Uber Rich and for royaly, so I assume the average Brit does too.

Just as soon as they get cars in the UK, they'll probably fix their left hand problem. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

hahaha.... very good. We keep the horse and cart for the in-breds. The proletariat have figured out how to work the gear lever ("stick-shift" to yanks).

rob, what make me laugh about this,

the yanks say the right side of the road is the best side to drive on,

then they make cars with 6,7,8ltr engines and then put the speed limit to 55, wow,,that makes sence,,lol,

jake

Ten gallon hat and..... NOOOOO I musn't say it....

Tell the NY cabbies that there's a 55 limit.. It'll be news to them!

Jake, I think we should give the yanks credit for going green and buying a Honda Prius.......

>

>

>

>

>

>

It'd be so much more efficient if they didn't leave it at home and drive their other car, which is the size of an aircraft carrier,,,,but they feel good because they can boast they own a Prius

• Like 2

The Burmese seem to have been so pissed off by the Brits, that they changed to the right side of the road after the Brits left.wink.png

The Thais had a difficult decision, in the North and West the left side driving Burmese during Great Britain rule,

In the North East they had the Lao and in the South East the Cambodians drive on the right side under French rule.

In the South, they had the Malayans use the left lane and than came the Japs and drove left to.

Good possibility, that the car-present to the Thai King with the steering wheel on the right side brought the decision.smile.png

the king has had a lot to do with England and like the place,

ill stand corrected but im think he did spend a little time at one of the universities, i could be wrong but it rings a bell,

but it makes me laugh, they have stated putting in the odd roundabout in the stick, and when you come to one, no body knows what to do,

i comes down to he who dares wins,,lol

there just isnt the highway code here,

so to be honest i dont think it matter what side they drive on, they will never be the best drivers in the world,

jake,

ps,, im talking about thais by the way,,lol

ill stand corrected but im think he did spend a little time at one of the universities, i could be wrong but it rings a bell,

but it makes me laugh, they have stated putting in the odd roundabout in the stick, and when you come to one, no body knows what to do,

so to be honest i dont think it matter what side they drive on, they will never be the best drivers in the world,

jake,

jake,

I didn't find a reference for His Majesty studying in the UK, but here's one ref to his state visit to the UK in 1960.

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/royalty-king-bhumibol-adulyadej-of-thailand-state-visit-london/Memory/0bba0786-d1dc-4815-80dc-a00b013b7d10

Using the gears with left hand and holding the wheel with right does make more sense to me as I'm right handed.

I see it a bit different,

If you drive a car with manual gear shifting and as most people are right handed, it is for them more easy to shift the sometimes stubborn gears with their better hand in the right position and holding the steering wheel for that time in the left should be ok, but sure, their right hand would be better to steer.

If you drive a car with manual gear shifting and as most people are right handed it is for them more easy to steer the steering wheel with their better right hand and change the sometimes stubborn gear with their left hand should be ok, but sure their right hand would be better to change the gear.

So, a Automatic transmission would be the solution.wink.png

If you look at pictures of the British House of Commons you'll see two red lines in the floor.These lines are supposed to be two sword lengths apart to stop members of opposing parties from skewering each other when they get worked up. The English reputation for violence is well deserved.

swords.jpg

'Tarzan' put that those lines to the test when he grabbed the Mace and started swinging it...w00t.gif

• Like 1