Why Thailand Has Left Traffic When The Country Was Never Colonizing?

Sandman77

I learned to drive in Germany, on the left. Went to UK - drove on right. Worked in the USA drove on right. Worked in HK drove on left. Drove around Europe - drove on right. Visited Malaysia and then India - drove on left. Went to Venezuela - drove on right. Hired a car last trip in Thailand - drove on left. I now spend a lot of my driving time in the middle of the road in a funk of confusion. Actually, in India either driving on the left or right really is an option.

And then there is the imperial/metric nightmare!w00t.gif

If the "pint" and the standard length (one chain 66ft or, as you know 100 links) of a cricket pitch go, then the world is finished.

You're a brave man, driving on the left in Germany and the right in the UK. The British constabulary might applaud such nonconformist commitment, but I have found Germans generally to have a strong tendency to conformity.

For our transatlantic cousins, I believe they will cope better than us should there beer measures be metricated, since they have always been short-changed in the size of their pints in case, received not even a half-litre in each of their diminutive sixteen ounce glasses

I was in the pub the other night with the family, by the way, and the Magners glasses were scribed with a 570 ml mark slightly below the rim, while my guinness glass was a pint to the brim - I believe a 20 ounce pint, but that was based solely on a visual comparison with the Magners glasses.

SC

Visual was the safe option dont drink that Magners stuff, fancy filling the glass with ice then adding the contents, no class and I saw that in Wetherspoons too!

I had a pint of Magners in Tom, Dick and Harry's while watching the final of the Gold Coast Sevens on delayed telecast on Sunday evening. Fiji were the better team, and beat Nez Zealand 32 - 14. Both countries drive on the left, by the way, as do Kenya and South Africa, who contested the 3rd place play-off. Samoa changed to left-hand traffic in 2009, presumably in order to improve their Sevens performance

SC.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I learned to drive in Germany, on the left. Went to UK - drove on right. Worked in the USA drove on right. Worked in HK drove on left. Drove around Europe - drove on right. Visited Malaysia and then India - drove on left. Went to Venezuela - drove on right. Hired a car last trip in Thailand - drove on left. I now spend a lot of my driving time in the middle of the road in a funk of confusion. Actually, in India either driving on the left or right really is an option.

And then there is the imperial/metric nightmare!w00t.gif

If the "pint" and the standard length (one chain 66ft or, as you know 100 links) of a cricket pitch go, then the world is finished.

You're a brave man, driving on the left in Germany and the right in the UK. The British constabulary might applaud such nonconformist commitment, but I have found Germans generally to have a strong tendency to conformity.

For our transatlantic cousins, I believe they will cope better than us should there beer measures be metricated, since they have always been short-changed in the size of their pints in case, received not even a half-litre in each of their diminutive sixteen ounce glasses

I was in the pub the other night with the family, by the way, and the Magners glasses were scribed with a 570 ml mark slightly below the rim, while my guinness glass was a pint to the brim - I believe a 20 ounce pint, but that was based solely on a visual comparison with the Magners glasses.

SC

Just proves how confused you can get!