Putting Different Sized Tyre On Front Of Bike,,,advice Needed

nattydread

I have a Honda CBR250 thats only done 3000km and the other day I noticed the back tyre had a large slash in the tread area...I can only assume that I have run over a piece of metal at some point and now the tyre is buggered....anyway have ordered some new Pirelli Sport Demons tyres for it and will junk the rear but the front looks almost new

the security guard in my condo who is a very nice guy has a Honda Phantom and looking at his front tyre today its bald

so I am planning on donating the front tyre to him but am worried the size being slightly different whether it will affect the handling of his bike too much

The Phantom has a 90/90 x 17 front tyre

The Honda CBR250 has a 110/70 x 17 front tyre

any advice on whether it would be suitable....thanks

90/90-17 has 81mm of sidewall height.

110/70-17 has 77mm of sidewall height.

5% difference. Will a rocketship Phantom notice...probably not. It should tighten up his steering ever so slightly as it makes the rake a wee bit less. Perhaps a little bit less of a 'flop' into a turn? I don't know if the Phantom's speedo cable is mounted on the front (although you mentioned it is a Thai so most likely it's not even hooked up), but it will read faster than before. I don't know the difference a stock Phantom has compared to real speed, but it could come close to equaling out.

The biggest concerns he may have is the load rating and the bias/radial (once again not sure what he has nor what the stock tyres are on the CBR). Those could both be potentially deal breakers.

Look at his back tire. If there are no chicken strips then putting a wider tire on the front will effect his handling. If the rear tire is worn flat in the centre just give him the tire and 100 baht to have it changed.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I would say, no problem! thumbsup.gif Looks only funny, if his rear wheel is less imposing than his now new front wheel. tongue.png

LOL...the guy is only young and has probably watched Easy Rider a few too many times which I suppose accounts for the red flames on the tank.I am sure the rear tyre will probably be blacked with that slippery stuff to match it up which nearly had me off my nouvo one day after the bike had been to the wash station. The wash guy had been squirting the stuff they polish up the plastics with and gave the tyres a liberal sprinkling follwed by a quick lick of the greasy rag on the sidewalls,i pulled off and at the first corner it was like riding on ice. I went back to the shop and gave them a bollocking for nearly killing me and they washed the tyres again. now when I go in I always specifically ask them not to grease up the tyres

LOL...the guy is only young and has probably watched Easy Rider a few too many times which I suppose accounts for the red flames on the tank.I am sure the rear tyre will probably be blacked with that slippery stuff to match it.

Check it out, what fits best from wear and tear and from size,

also regarding fitting to the rims, maybe he should give your front wheel on the back of his smaller Motorbike,

Not to much thinking, look this photo, he would also take some tires and rims, if you have to.

Carrying capacity, tire and rim sizes? Who cares. No more questions asked! Thailand is also a Banana Republic, no?

554064_506936299318270_725957068_n.jpg or

Edited by ALFREDO

I would say, no problem! thumbsup.gif Looks only funny, if his rear wheel is less imposing than his now new front wheel. tongue.png

LOL...the guy is only young and has probably watched Easy Rider a few too many times which I suppose accounts for the red flames on the tank.I am sure the rear tyre will probably be blacked with that slippery stuff to match it up which nearly had me off my nouvo one day after the bike had been to the wash station. The wash guy had been squirting the stuff they polish up the plastics with and gave the tyres a liberal sprinkling follwed by a quick lick of the greasy rag on the sidewalls,i pulled off and at the first corner it was like riding on ice. I went back to the shop and gave them a bollocking for nearly killing me and they washed the tyres again. now when I go in I always specifically ask them not to grease up the tyres

Never had them put the ArmorAll on the tyres, but one joke put it on the saddle of my old CBR 150. dam_n near slipped to the ground much to the amusement of all watching.

Never had them put the ArmorAll on the tyres, but one joke put it on the saddle of my old CBR 150. dam_n near slipped to the ground much to the amusement of all watching.

Sure funny for the bystanders, can understand that. -When damage occurs to you, you do not need to worry for the ridicule.- wink.png

I was looking for a matching YouTube Video, but did not find any, to your story.

What I found was a Video, which shows how easy, thoughtless motorists cause accidents. I had a similar accident in Thailand.