Bangkok's New City Motto Unveiled

webfact

Bangkok's new city motto unveiled

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- "Bangkok, glorious as if created by angels, the administration centre, beautiful temples, glittering palaces, the capital of Thailand," is the new motto for the city, unveiled yesterday by Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

The Thai slogan - no official English translation was made available - was chosen from the Bangkok Motto Contest Project, which invited entrants to create a motto no longer than 30 syllables that best demonstrates Bangkok's distinctiveness.

Sukhumbhand has ordered the posting of 800 signs of the new motto in the city's 50 districts. The motto will also be used to promote tourism in conjunction with the city's 230th anniversary and its being named the best city in the world for the third consecutive year by Travel & Leisure magazine.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-12

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as I learnt the name they go ahead and change it, oppppps this is only a motto so do I do both now ?

City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra's behest

Just as I learnt the name they go ahead and change it, oppppps this is only a motto so do I do both now ?

City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra's behest

The new motto is barely shorter than the full name.

• Like 1

The new motto is barely shorter than the full name.

30 syllables is just not enough. The new motto barely covers what lower Sukhumvit has to offer. :(

Hardly a motto ..... maybe an inaccurate description!

In a few minutes I garnered the following. I concluded that we need a new definition.

Motto:

Short phrase that usually expresses a moral aim

Short sentence or phrase that expresses a rule for sensible behaviour

Brief statement used to express a principle, goal, or ideal.

Usually pithy and familiar statement expressing an observation or principle generally accepted as wise or true

Word or phrase used regularly to characterize something or some group

Phrase meant to formally summarize the general motivation or intention of a social group or organization.

Sentence, phrase, poem, or word prefixed to an essay, chapter, and novel

Short, suggestive expression

Slogan, catchword, shibboleth (noun)

Favourite saying of a sect or political group

Brief statement of cherished truth

BANGKOK: -- "Bangkok, glorious as if created by angels, the administration centre, beautiful temples, glittering palaces, the capital of Thailand," is the new motto for the city, unveiled yesterday by Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

Why not.

"Bangkok à city created by angels for angels"

Edited by Skywalker69

This is not a "motto." A motto is something that conveys a directional motive or a guiding principle. For example something like "ever upwards," but "the city that never sleeps" would merely be some huckster type slogan rather than a motto.

A more suitable "motto" for Bangkok might be something like "always and everything for sale." This would seem to fill the bill of a "guiding principle."