New Gadget For Less Able Drivers

jbowman1993

New gadget for less able drivers

Chevrolet's G80 Diff-Lock aims to enhance Colorado appeal for potential buyers

Tan T. Sirikul

Bangkok Post

Friday, February 3, 2006

Many of you should be familiar with Limited Slip Differential (LSD) technology which is found in four-wheel drive pickups.

LSD works when either side of the wheel loses traction and transfers some torque to it.

If that isn't enough, then you'll just have to shift to four-wheel-drive mode.

And if it's a two-wheel-drive, then you have to get out of the car and start pushing.

This week's new technology for pickups is Chevrolet Colorado's G80 Diff-Lock: an engineering innovation that is used in as much as 75% of the North American pickup market.

Diff-Lock is different from LSD in that Diff-Lock transfers equal power to both wheels, 50:50 to be precise.

Safety? Don't worry because Diff-Lock will only work at speeds not exceeding 30kph. Over that and it automatically stops.

Chevrolet is targeting the G80 Diff-Lock at two-wheel-drive pickup users. This segment accounts for more than 60% of pickup users.

The G80 Diff-Lock will help the pickup driver in all situations. Huge potholes need not require getting put of the vehicle for a push. Off-road enthusiasts can also get the G80 Diff-Lock in their 4x4 vehicles as well.

During a test with G80 Diff-lock, I climbed a 45-degree angle slope station with 2m-long rollers on one side. Didn't make it on my first try, but was successful on the second with a little more pressure on the accelerator.

The second station saw one side of my two-wheel-drive in a precarious position with one wheel hanging in the air. Normally you'd need the 4x4 system to help out, but the G80 Diff-Lock made it look and feel very easy.

The G80 Diff-Lock isn't just an enhancement of the Chevrolet's performance arsenal, but a marketing strategy to boost sales at the start of 2006.

This year, there will be three major pickup brands unveiling all-new products making competition intense as ever.

Therefore, the fact that all of Chevrolet Colorado pickups have the G80 Diff-Lock to choose from is a smart move. And for an extra 20,200 baht plus labour costs, it's not a bad investment for the pickup market.

Nice! I don't really get the 'less able drivers' comment though, a diff-lock is an essential feature in serious off road cars/trucks.

So if I understand this correctly, it's also fitted to 2WD versions? I'd say that's VERY useful too.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sounds like a smart idea, sort of poor mans 4x4. Enough to get you out of that muddy patch where one wheel spins uncontrollably, without the rigmarole and expense of a transfer box and driven front axle. :D

Wonder why no-one has thought of it before. :o

"Lockers" have been around forever. Any serious four wheeler or offroader will install this item right away. Some are switch air operated (ARB) some are now electric, spooled and the old "Lincoln locker" for the barn yard guys(cheap skates).

A stock truck with a couple of lockers or even one will crawl all over the place! Since the advent of electrical selectable lockers you will see them on more and more trucks and SUV's. When they were not selectable they were very hard to use on the street, tend to push the front end and made it hard to steer on pavement.

A four wheel drive with out a lockeer front or rear is not a true 4 wheel drive even with a limited slip!

I used to be into the jeep thing, and spent many a day at the off road mecca "Moab" Utah.

post-17260-1139119230_thumb.jpg

post-17260-1139119317_thumb.jpg

"Lockers" have been around forever. Any serious four wheeler or offroader will install this item right away. Some are switch air operated (ARB) some are now electric, spooled and the old "Lincoln locker" for the barn yard guys(cheap skates).

A stock truck with a couple of lockers or even one will crawl all over the place! Since the advent of electrical selectable lockers you will see them on more and more trucks and SUV's. When they were not selectable they were very hard to use on the street, tend to push the front end and made it hard to steer on pavement.

A four wheel drive with out a lockeer front or rear is not a true 4 wheel drive even with a limited slip!

I used to be into the jeep thing, and spent many a day at the off road mecca "Moab" Utah.

Absolutely, diff-locks are vital for any serious off-roading.

I think the 'new innovation' is the idea of installing a locking diff on a 2 wheel drive pickup to bail you out of those marginal situations.