Smaller Bike On Long Trip....will It Make It?

deepsea149

Hello,

I have a PCX 150, and I want to drive it from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. Can this bike handle the ride, e.g., higher speeds for an extended amount of time? I don't know too much about what the thing is capable of, and want to be certain it can handle it.

Thanks.

Yes, there are many examples of long rides on small bikes here on the forum. As long as it's been serviced it will be fine. Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is a relatively small distance.

Edited by JonnyF

My wife and I did a few long trips around Thailand. Trat - Sukothai - Mae Hong Song - Chiang Rai - Nong Khai then back to Trat was one. It was on a Yamaha X1R 135 cc. We stuck to back road as much as possible by using a gps. Defiantly a leisurely pace. A bit dangerous on the 4 lane hi ways. You shouldn't have any problem. Going slow is a great way to see the country side IMO.

Edited by drift

100% yes.

My smaller bike (1 year old Mio125) has been from Bangkok to Nakhon Nai Yok, not too far i know. And the second time i took the bike for a long spin was to Pattaya from Bangkok. The bike spent most of it's time cruising at 100kmh with blasts up to a staggering 110kmh :D

I was twos up with my girlfriend and we both felt comfortable, you'll be more comfortable than me given that your PCX is a bigger bike than my narrow Mio.

Just make sure you give the bike a good check over before you head off making sure you're aware of how far the bike can go between fuel stops.

no problem at all.

I traveled half of Thailand on a wave 125 which pcx is a like a luxury couch if you compare it with wave.

Just go forward buddy.

And, do not do any plans. When it is getting dark just find a hotel, when it is morning start to ride. Roads are easy here and better without any plans, just some adventure:)

have a nice trip and good luck.

• Like 1

Yes, a friend went on an ole scooter from pattaya to koh chang,

those small scooters can also be repaired at any backwater shop, unlike big bikes.

The problem with small bikes is that it is completely lethal to get a flat at speed,

you will in all likelihood die, or worse.

Big bikes do not suffer from this as they have so sturdy tyre sides so you probably dont even notice.

Edited by poanoi

those small scooters can also be repaired at any backwater shop, unlike big bikes.

The problem with small bikes is that it is completely lethal to get a flat at speed,

Big bikes do not suffer from this as they have so sturdy tyre sides so you probably dont even notice.

The PCX toubless tires are made to the same specs as the tires on my ninja

I see where you are both coming from.

Made to the same specs... Yes they are made of similar materials and are circular but the sidewalls of the Ninja650 tyre or any 'bigger bike' will benefit from a substantially stiffer construction, to put this into perspective i could fold away a rear tyre for a PCX and stow it under it's own seat if i really wanted too. On the flip side you would notice a lack of air in a larger bike's tyre but in contrast the bigger tyre would be a fair bit more stable than a scooter on a 'fold away tyre'

I recall riding home (7 miles) from work on my ZX6R when i was back in old blighty. My dad came out with a foot pump in the hope that the tyre would retain some air but it ended up deflating after 3-4 miles. The remainder of the journey was surprisingly stable, this was probably due to the tyre remaining seated and with a few PSI in it.

No problem there are many guys on here who have traveled further on a PCX. Surat Thani to Hua Hin, Chiang Mai to Bangkok are two that come to mind.

On another forum there is an "around" Thailand on a Wave thread.smile.png

One round trip BKK, CM, BKK. One one way trip Pattaya-CM on a Honda Wave 110 CZi.

Small bikes rock!

I see where you are both coming from.

Made to the same specs... Yes they are made of similar materials and are circular but the sidewalls of the Ninja650 tyre or any 'bigger bike' will benefit from a substantially stiffer construction, to put this into perspective i could fold away a rear tyre for a PCX and stow it under it's own seat if i really wanted too. On the flip side you would notice a lack of air in a larger bike's tyre but in contrast the bigger tyre would be a fair bit more stable than a scooter on a 'fold away tyre'

I recall riding home (7 miles) from work on my ZX6R when i was back in old blighty. My dad came out with a foot pump in the hope that the tyre would retain some air but it ended up deflating after 3-4 miles. The remainder of the journey was surprisingly stable, this was probably due to the tyre remaining seated and with a few PSI in it.

you missed they are both black

However the PCX tire, a dumlop tubless tire has the same rating as the one on my ninja Same plys, cord, etc . . .

Fold away tire ? Maybe you never ridden a PCX before nor had a flat on one.

I recall i got a flat on the front tire at an intersection unknowingly with a scooter

while waiting for green light.

The only way to keep the bike up after the chocking horror realization was to skii

on my shoes and pretty much carry the bike,

luckily my shoes was hard under and suited for skiing, so i didnt fall.

In contrast Some mechanics have nodded that my front tire on the big bike was flat,

-i didnt even know it, but after several occasions and years of ownership

i can now tell (at least sometimes) when the front is flat by the slight increase in resistance when i turn

• Like 1