Chemo For Lymphoma

bentarm44

Just back from uk, where I got the bums rush from the nhs 'cas I've been non-uk resident for over 6 months (over 2 years actually). I've got this low grade non-hodge lymphoma that needs a drop of chemo, so I've really like to find something I can afford here in the kingdom.

I realise this is a bit specific, but anyone know a place (espesh in Korat), where the doctors will horse trade on regimes, duration and drugs?

Just when I thought I'd been, seen and done it all; something new comes along!

Never heard of "horse trading" in relation to chemotherapy !

However, you can go here

http://cancerhelp.ca...dgkins-lymphoma

For information about the common treatment regimes used for low grade non Hodgkin's lymphoma.

I am sure that you know that any treatment suggested will depend, to a great extent, on your age and whether you have received chemotherapy on a previous occasion(s)

Someone else here may be able to advise about an oncologist.

Best wishes

Edited by jrtmedic

in Isaan, your best bet is Khon Kaen University hospital. (Srinakarind)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Srinakarin-Hospital-KhonKaen/141770422538969 for map

Bring a Thai speaker with you for first visit as the registration process can be daunting. Arrive early and be prepared for long waits. Once you have been registered at the oncology clinic, follow up visits will be easier but still entail long waits.

And of course bring your medical records with you to avoid unnecessary repeat tests.

I went back to the Bangkok Hospital in Korat town, and spoke again with Doctor Juree. We've actually cut a deal where I don't need a ct scan, and won't bother with the "anti side affect drugs". I can't afford the Rituximab wonder drug, so have opted for up to 10 cycles of traditional CVP chem; each cycle costs about 13,000 TB. My home and primary carer is in Phimai, 60km from the hospital in Korat. First chemo session is tomorow.

Yippee

I went back to the Bangkok Hospital in Korat town, and spoke again with Doctor Juree. We've actually cut a deal where I don't need a ct scan, and won't bother with the "anti side affect drugs". I can't afford the Rituximab wonder drug, so have opted for up to 10 cycles of traditional CVP chem; each cycle costs about 13,000 TB. My home and primary carer is in Phimai, 60km from the hospital in Korat. First chemo session is tomorow.

Yippee

Good luck "bentarm44" on your chemo treatment. I am now back at home after completing my first cycle of chemo having been in the hospital at Ratchaburi for the previous 3 days. I am to have 12 cycles with each cycle lasting 48 hours twice a month. I too declined a very expensive chemo drug that was offered which would have cost me 60,000 baht a bottle. The oncologist said that they had a special promotion whereby I pay for the first two then get the next two free. I still refused as 10 lots would still have cost me 600,000 baht just for that drug alone. Actually, I received a bottle on this first cycle by mistake and I said that as it was their mistake, I wasn't paying for it. Luckily, they agreed. Each cycle of what I do receive costs me about 9,000 baht (everything, room etc. included).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi prodriver, just seen your post.

Interesting to hear your story, espech about costs, duration of treatment and of cycle. I wonder what regime you are on, mabe not CVP?

My first chemo session consisted of a 1.5 hour wait for the mix, then 3.5 hours for the drugs through the back of hand drip fed needle.

I arrived about mid day, and drove home about half past six. Hardly felt anything, and did ask the chemist to check the bottles; which where fine.

The 5 days of steroids were ok, and much to my joy and amazement some of the lumps have visibly shrunk; after one treatment.

I could actually feel some loosening around my neck too. The actual cost of that first session was about 9000TB, near the same as you.

I'd be intersted in hearing what happened to you after your first session. I go for number 2 in a week, and I can hardly wait.

I'm going to try and work out how to send you a personal message now.