Visa Run Savanakhet Diy <> Comments <> Non-Imm O (M) Oct. 2012

Completed my visa run to Savanakhet

My costs from my apartment depart/return was B8200 with my visa paid in US dollars - still included in that price as well as my B5000 visa. I did not change any money. I perhaps should have changed a tiny bit. Was somewhat problematic (minor) as the night wore on and eat/drink were only offered small places and in the street.

The visa section in Lao (obtain a visa) is really greasy, they will ask for B1500, for the visa but the price is far less. For US citizens US35. PAY DOLLARS. Other nations may be even less!

B1500 even by Vientiane standards, you guys are getting totally ripped off!

The commie mafia will ask you for B20-B40 (entering Lao PDR). I was asked for 20 and an Isreali guy who spoke no Thai 40. Of course, I did not pay.

Do not take a samlor from the bridge, get on the bus and go to the bus station. From there get a samlor to the consulate.

I placed a stack of papers in front of the CO, he selected one of each including a copy of my finance letter from local back w/ B150k in it. I have no idea if he would have asked for it if I did not present it - so don't ask. You should really not be fronting up for a one year visa without money in the bank anyway imo.

Beer was about B30-40 if I recall, maybe in Kip a bit better price. About 8-10K sit down facility.

Don't buy any whiskey in the bus station. JL Red suspect.

Imagine it is absolutely baking, smoking hot outside the cool season. People are lovely, but the lack of ocean, dryness -no rain, very dry. It would be desert if it were not for the mighty Mekong.

Loads of women hiting on me in the bus station (Mukdahan) and all over Issan (stops) so if you are loking for someone from Issan - go travel Issan! Both actually approaching me and giving me the flirty eyes. Lots of women from Lao. Some cuties but lots of older gals.

Edited by bangkokburning

The Lao government, ie: visa issuing for Laos is a lot less expensive if paid in U.S. dollars. The government does not want Bhat, would you? Poster mentions prices of visas being different...Explanation

If your country has an embassy/consulate in Laos, and you support the Communist Government, either by way of direct funds, or business with the country that puts money in, your visa cost is less. Varies by country, Canadians pay one of the hightest fees at $42.00 U.S. and remember a dollar more on weekends.

That translates to 1,800 Bhat if paid in Bhat on a bad day at the border for Lao visa. That is the equivalent of $60.00 U.S. I can buy $42. U.S. from a money changer for 1,280 Bhat in Laos and always do that to ensure I have U.S. funds for my next Lao Visa.

As the white Entry Form with photo states at the botom. "Our country our Tax"

It's not clear to me who gets the B20 they ask for at the entry point to Laos, but it was represented to us as a 'stamp fee', since the Savan Vegas kids did all the running of passports around and we just sat in the aircon van.

It does occur to me that it's probably a good idea to pay it, just to keep things as easy and hassle-free as they are. I can see no reason to refuse such a small 'tax'; if you stand on principle, you have blinders on; if you are too broke to give up an extra 20 baht, maybe you ought to reconsider your choice of country/region...

Why would they make it so easy for you, if there was no profit in it? Keep the wheels greased...

It's not clear to me who gets the B20 they ask for at the entry point to Laos, but it was represented to us as a 'stamp fee', since the Savan Vegas kids did all the running of passports around and we just sat in the aircon van.

It does occur to me that it's probably a good idea to pay it, just to keep things as easy and hassle-free as they are. I can see no reason to refuse such a small 'tax'; if you stand on principle, you have blinders on; if you are too broke to give up an extra 20 baht, maybe you ought to reconsider your choice of country/region...

Why would they make it so easy for you, if there was no profit in it? Keep the wheels greased...

If you travel with an aircon van, its the one from the savanvegas. so the extra 20 or 40 baht goes to these guys, not the goverment employes. you can take the normal bus that drives every hour over the bridge. doing so will save you the 20-40 baht. tickets are available at mukdahan and savannakhet busstation as well directly after passing the immigration check on thai or lao side.

additional: afaik savannakhet is only accepting visa applications unti 11 am. so if you are running short on time, take the song theaw. the bus will wait for everyone having left the passport check, so it might take a while. but refuse to pay more than 100 baht for one person. the more person are on this machine, the less per person you should pay.

I find crossing the lao border much less corrupt and really enjoyed in comparison with the cambodian border.

I am an independant traveler and was hit up for the b20. If Savsn asks 40 I bet its split. Either way w Savan asks you must pay, you are w their service. l asked what it was for but she did not reply so its for ....MAKING THEM RICH derp!

Fly to Savanaket? Even if possible, me? Surely you jest sir!

Prices for visa are sliding scale, Colomumbai ypure not even close pal. Asfor the tax, that is in Vientiane slogan not present in south-yet.

Ps the bus over the bridge is pretty much a shoving match. Never seen Lao people behave like that. I actually said something to a young woman trying to.push past me. Price is 45/50.

Edited by bangkokburning

If you travel with an aircon van, its the one from the savanvegas. so the extra 20 or 40 baht goes to these guys, not the goverment employes. you can take the normal bus that drives every hour over the bridge. doing so will save you the 20-40 baht. tickets are available at mukdahan and savannakhet busstation as well directly after passing the immigration check on thai or lao side.

additional: afaik savannakhet is only accepting visa applications unti 11 am. so if you are running short on time, take the song theaw. the bus will wait for everyone having left the passport check, so it might take a while. but refuse to pay more than 100 baht for one person. the more person are on this machine, the less per person you should pay.

I find crossing the lao border much less corrupt and really enjoyed in comparison with the cambodian border.

One particular day i was sat in our home and i took my wifes car a 30kilometer drive to Mukdahan to report that i may have to overstay a few days past my 30 day visa, so rather than risk a black stamp in my Passport off i drove to the Old Immigration office near the river market, unaware it was closed.

After several minutes it dawned on me that this office was now closed, no sign to say where it had moved to, so in my best Indiana Jones mindset i set of to the Friendship Bridge to cross over to Laos. I approached the Border control checkpoint wound down my window said goodmorning and waved my passport at checkpoint Charlie.

In very good English he said where are you going and why? Visa Stamp so I dont over stay, i replied. Ok have you got the passport for the car ??? what !! The car is my wifes and i am not on the owners slip or on the insurannce nor do i possess an up to date International driving licence. Oh Dear !!

Laughing the guard suggested i reverse into the car park, park under a tree in the shade and get the bus, he pointed me in the correct direction and tipped his hat with a smile. I think i made his day. No Fine !!

On arriving on the Laos side of the Bridge i was asked for my entry visa application and passport sized photograph, non of which I had, so without further ado the immigration took a photocopy of my passport and cut out the photo on the copy and stuck it on the hurridly completed visa. 20 bht .

A short Tuk Tuk ride to a bar and resaurant few beers, oh i better phone the wife, im in Laos back tomorrow i said gonna have a few local chilled ones and settle into a hotel bed. ( youre crazy) my wife said as she is feared of crossing the river as if it has Jurrasic animals on the other side.

It was so simple to do- few beers late night up and back across the border, into the car and off, even got a smile and a wave off checkpoint Charlie as i approached my car.

Mukdahan is Excellent !!