Id Card Or Passport Required To Buy True Move Internet?

watcharacters

I'd like to get the three month package for True mover which is a bit less than฿600 a month. the lady at the TM office said we'd have to provide either an ID card or a passport. Is there any way to get this package without having to share that information with TRue?

Are you talking about True Online Internet via DSL or DOCSIS?

Or TrueMove mobile telephony? Or TrueMove H telephony/mobile broadband? Pre-paid? Post-paid?

Technically each new SIM needs to be registered, and the NBTC has been pushing back on this recently, even though this hasn't been enforced for ~ 5 years.

Some post-paid service plans do require identification and/or have a residency requirement.

Generally it is pretty easy to purchase a TrueMove or TrueMove H pre-paid SIM, activate it, add value, and choose voice/data plans.

Post-paid plans typically have a one year term.

Maybe try another True shop?

Edited by lomatopo

Are you talking about True Online Internet via DSL or DOCSIS?

Or TrueMove mobile telephony? Or TrueMove H telephony/mobile broadband? Pre-paid? Post-paid?

Technically each new SIM needs to be registered, and the NBTC has been pushing back on this recently, even though this hasn't been enforced for ~ 5 years.

Some post-paid service plans do require identification and/or have a residency requirement.

Generally it is pretty easy to purchase a TrueMove or TrueMove H pre-paid SIM, activate it, add value, and choose voice/data plans.

Post-paid plans typically have a one year term.

Maybe try another True shop?

I didn't post my question very well. I was referring to True Move Mobile Internet package for three months that averages out to just less than ฿ 600 a month.

I realize in Thailand there seems to be a desire for a falang to produce multiple copies of so many things and I just wondered if there was a way to avoid this. I bought my Dtac sim without showing a passport or residency proof and from that point on I was free to sign up for internet as I so chose.

I'll follow your suggestion and just try another shop.

Edited by watcharacters

Thais have to show id card and ta bian ban. Foreigner has to show passport and letter of resiliency.

For things the Thai wife and I have signed up for (i.e, cell phone service, TV service, internet service, etc), she only needed to provide her Thai ID card....I only needed to provide my foreign passport.

I didn't post my question very well.

If you could just answer the questions I think we could come up with a solution for you?

Most people, in your situation, would get a Pre-Paid SIM, activate it, add value (top-up) and choose a plan. Pre-paid plans run month-to-month. You can purchase pre-paid SIMs at one of the million or more small, counter kiosks, or even convenience stores, without proof of identity or a residency requirement.

Post-paid plans usually require some identity and residency proof. Post-paid plans typically have a term of 12 months, and you would have to go to a True Shop to sign up for a Post-paid plan.

My best guess is that you are trying to get a Post-paid plan, perhaps because you are unfamiliar with the option or Pre-paid plans? Given that you have a requirement for just three months, and are a foreigner, a Post-paid plan is not really the best option for you.

Without any additional detail, I assume you have a 850 MHz 3G capable unlocked phone and require both voice and mobile broadband data for ~ 3 months. I'd recommend you get a Pre-paid SIM from TrueMove H or HAppy (DTAC). You can purchase these at any mobile phone shop - there are hundreds in most shopping malls here - for ~ 50 - 100 baht. Activate it (insert it into your phone), add value, choose a plan.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaivisa.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F425412-smartphone-service-plans%2F&ei=2_V5UOa7GJHirAeH-4HIAg&usg=AFQjCNHbOlTC4KVm5E9wasJo6DW1yXyxpw

Any time I am asked for my Passport for any of these type of services, I hand them my Thai drivers licence, so far never had a problem, always accepted as I.D. and able to sign said contract.

one of the 1st things I got 9 ½ year ago......... moved back to AIS mobile contract 6 weeks ago, no problem with licence I.D..

Any time I am asked for my Passport for any of these type of services, I hand them my Thai drivers licence, so far never had a problem, always accepted as I.D. and able to sign said contract.

one of the 1st things I got 9 ½ year ago......... moved back to AIS mobile contract 6 weeks ago, no problem with licence I.D..

I'm not sure the OP wants to get a Thai driver's license. ;)

For many foreigners, the ID No. on a Thai driver's license is the same as their Passport Number, at least it is on both of my Thai Driver's licenses (auto and motorcycle). In order to get a Thai driver's license you do have to pass a residency requirement, maybe a house book or in my case, an affidavit from my local Embassy. So, in essence, a Thai driver's license is predicated on identification and residency, more or less.

I'm not sure the OP wants to get a Thai driver's license. wink.png

For many foreigners, the ID No. on a Thai driver's license is the same as their Passport Number, at least it is on both of my Thai Driver's licenses (auto and motorcycle). In order to get a Thai driver's license you do have to pass a residency requirement, maybe a house book or in my case, an affidavit from my local Embassy. So, in essence, a Thai driver's license is predicated on identification and residency, more or less.

Yes, just many do have a Thai licence and keep it just encase when driving are ask for it, and have no idea it can be used as an I.D.