Buddhism And Magic A Thai Perspective

TravelerEastWest

Buddhism and Magic a Thai Perspective:

I was amazed to hear yesterday from a Thai person that the Buddha believed in magic, spirist and ghosts.

The conversation revolved around a possible land purchase that was going to be canceled because the land looked like a pig in two places which supposedly brings bad luck. (Note the land was priced below market)

I was astounded to hear this from an educated person who then backed up the discussion by saying Buddha believed in magic - ghosts spirits bad luck etc.

So my question is: Did the Buddha belive in magic, bad luck if you bought land with a pig shape and so on?

My readings of Buddhism growing up in California do not support this - but who knows maybe I was missing something?

If you would like to throw in some suggested cultural diplomacy - that would be a bonus.

I would say no, the Buddha did not believe in magic - though I wasn't alive at that time (or maybe I was, who knows). In the Pali canon though, there's note of the allowance of a Gatha to protect one against creepy crawlies.

Thai culture has many different influences. As far as beliefs go, educated or not, many here are brought up with the belief of magical items, ghosts, spells, the odd curse, etc. Just ask a Thai, any Thai, and you'll find out much of what you want to know.

It's bad luck if the shape of the land is in that of a pig, but not so bad to nickname your son or daughter 'pig' (it helps keep the spirits away).

not sure if the budhha 'believed' in magic etc but he sure was raised in an era when a pantheon of gods, lesser gods, angels and assorted creatures 'existed' and the buddha wasnt trying to create a new improved religioun, just trying to find his own way and inviting others to come along... no where does he say, worship one god, or worship me only, only says: suggestion to do or not do these 8 things and life might be a bit more worthwhile, until u die...

in a very very loose interpretation of things.

Land that looks like a pig sounds more like geomancy or feng shui than magic, spirits and ghosts to me. Or perhaps a portent/omen. I don't think there's any mention of this in the Pali Canon. "Magic" is too broad a term to give an answer to. "Ghost," as generally understood is the spirit of a dead person that haunts the living, but I don't recall anything in the Canon about that either. However, there is mention of tree spirits and the like on occasion. One episode relates how the Buddha added a rule in the Vinaya after complaints from a tree spirit.

Don't forget that there is a variety of non-Canonical scriptures and Jatakas written in Thailand that contain all manner of supernatural happenings. There are also historical "chronicles" that have the Buddha walking all over northern Thailand - with the god Indra or King Ashoka - leaving hair relics, making predictions and building chedis.

'Thai culture has many different influences. As far as beliefs go, educated or not, many here are brought up with the belief of magical items, ghosts, spells, the odd curse, etc. Just ask a Thai, any Thai, and you'll find out much of what you want to know. "

Yes, I understand the Thai beliefs but to me they are without any basis in reality - so I am curious as to what the Buddha said on the subject.

It's bad luck if the shape of the land is in that of a pig, but not so bad to nickname your son or daughter 'pig' (it helps keep the spirits away).

A very good point - smiling...

"non-Canonical scriptures and Jatakas written in Thailand that contain all manner of supernatural happenings. There are also historical "chronicles" that have the Buddha walking all over northern Thailand - with the god Indra or King Ashoka - leaving hair relics, making predictions and building chedis."

My point exactly - myths not the calm and focused word of Buddha.

The problem is that emotion backed responses of those who believe in myths....