Lead Paint Found In Pre-Kindergarten, Nursery Schools In Bangkok

webfact

Lead paint found in BMA schools

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Paints containing lead pose a health threat to more than half of the children in pre-kindergarten nursery schools in Bangkok, researchers said yesterday at a seminar by the Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre.

The survey, conducted in 2010, found lead-based paint in the nursery schools run by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion, putting more than 50 per cent of the city's pre-kindergarten children at risk, centre director Assoc Prof Adisak Phalitpholkarn-phim said. He recommended that pre-kindergarten students undergo blood tests.

The production and sale of lead-based household paint should be more tightly regulated, the study urged.

Phetcharat Eksaengkul, head of the paint industry group, supported findings of the study, but said there should be stricter control on imports of raw materials that contain lead before clamping down on domestic paint production.

Young children are most vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can cause mental retardation. The World Health Organisation maintains that "no exposure to lead contamination, however small the level, is safe for children".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-16

The head of the Thai paint industry is blustering back "there should be tighter controls on the raw materials that are imported." Well who but him is in charge of that? What a preposterous response from an industry leader. He wants "them" to clamp down on the raw materials his industry members import and use in their production. What an ass backward way to think about an imminent problem for kindergarden age children in Thai schools. He really cares about the children sidestepping the problem.

• Like 2

The next thing I expect to hear is that there is no need to change the Thai education system. It is the lead paint which causes such low academic performance. Case in point...For Phetcharat Eksaengkul, head of the paint industry group to say that "there should be stricter control on imports of raw materials that contain lead before clamping down on domestic paint production" when he is the one in charge , only goes to point out how stupid one can become when coming into contact with lead paintwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif .

• Like 1

Funny isn't it - people of my generation (boomers) were brought up in playgrounds rife with lead paint and I can't recall anyone of us having issues at all. Our house guttering and fences were painted with lead paint, and we often helped with the task of applying it. Later in life when I was boat building we used only lead pant on the keel and below the Plimsoll line so I would think as in most environmental situations, it all comes down to how one is exposed to it and if it is ingested etc. Wiki has interesting detail on lead paint blaming it for damage to nervous system, kidneys, stunted growth and even reproductive problems in adults. But there does not seem to be overwhelming evidence suggesting we should all drop our bundle over it. As to removing it - blow touch works fine but it smells. Well now that I have brightened up your day and put this in the blog - have a good day all don't go sniffing the railings in the playgrounds.

• Like 1

The head of the Thai paint industry is blustering back "there should be tighter controls on the raw materials that are imported." Well who but him is in charge of that? What a preposterous response from an industry leader. He wants "them" to clamp down on the raw materials his industry members import and use in their production. What an ass backward way to think about an imminent problem for kindergarden age children in Thai schools. He really cares about the children sidestepping the problem.

And this comes as a surprise? I would expect nothing more from a govt. official.

When are the Thai people going to wake up and realize the govt. cares nothing for you or for your children; unless of course you are politically powerfull or wealthy; of whose children certainly do not attend such schools.

• Like 1

Typically Thai response immediately blaming someone else without engaging brain.

• Like 1

The usual response blaming Foreigners. Can't be Thailand's fault as everyone and everything here is perfect, right?

Ergo, everyone has the opportunity to be putting lead based paint on their residences, companies; everywhere, or was this a special blend made just for schools???blink.png

In which case, one would have to presume that the Head of the Paint Manufacturers of Thailands entire office, car, house, apartment and bedsheets are coated in the stuff if his answer is it should be more tightly regulated. Presumably, in some way, he can just get his association members to stop putting into the blend.

Funny isn't it - people of my generation (boomers) were brought up in playgrounds rife with lead paint and I can't recall anyone of us having issues at all. Our house guttering and fences were painted with lead paint, and we often helped with the task of applying it. Later in life when I was boat building we used only lead pant on the keel and below the Plimsoll line so I would think as in most environmental situations, it all comes down to how one is exposed to it and if it is ingested etc. Wiki has interesting detail on lead paint blaming it for damage to nervous system, kidneys, stunted growth and even reproductive problems in adults. But there does not seem to be overwhelming evidence suggesting we should all drop our bundle over it. As to removing it - blow touch works fine but it smells. Well now that I have brightened up your day and put this in the blog - have a good day all don't go sniffing the railings in the playgrounds.

There is scientific evidence to support children who grew up with lead paint in the playgrounds grew up to be grumpy and sarcastic.

• Like 2

pre kindergarden kids should be raised at home...

the world has gone bananas since children at very young age (few months) are dropped at strangers places in exchange of money

in stead of raising your own kids at home

• Like 1

And this comes as a surprise? I would expect nothing more from a govt. official.

When are the Thai people going to wake up and realize the govt. cares nothing for you or for your children; unless of course you are politically powerfull or wealthy; of whose children certainly do not attend such schools.

I agree with you there.

Young children are most vulnerable to lead poisoning, which can cause mental retardation.

If true (and I have no reason to doubt it) that explains a mountain of things!coffee1.gif

The only time lead in paint becomes a problem is if a child has PICA and chews it off furniture, walls etc. otherwise leave it where it is. Pure lead is not a problem but the salts, such as oxides are.

Are there laws in Thailand preventing the manufacture of lead paint? I am serious, I have no idea and am way to lazy to find out on my own. If not, then I suppose all that needs be said is why not? And if so, then fine the offenders into bankruptcy. All this is assuming that what we've been told about lead poisoning in children is correct of course. I'm sure there are plenty of Western studies proving it is and a dearth of Thai studies even addressing the question.

Same same Thai response...we want to solve the problem and then point the finger at someone else as a way of showing that we cannot solve the problem because it isn't our responsibility.

At the risk of being a contrariarian, perhaps the lead paint is better left where it is. At least the staff can keep keep the kids from eating the paint chips and the air ventilation can be increased. My concern is that Thailand is still in the east bloc era circa 1950 when it comes to hazmat waste disposal. How do you think the lead paint would be removed? It is not as if they would use proper removal techniques is it? And even if it was removed, I expect it would probably be put in some dump where it would contaminate the groundwater, or worse, be incinerated. In any case, a hearty congratulations to Thailand's paint manufacturers and distributors for ensuring that a new generation of kids is poisoned. I'm sure that if they make a quick dash off to the wat, to make a donation or leave a can of fanta, all will be forgiven.

It is in Bangkok --> contaminate the groundwater crazy.gif ?

It will hardly make a difference, after all the other things that just get pumped into the ground.....and toilet wastewater is the most harmless......a lot heavy metal industry waste.

Totally agreed,... solid points and very relevant!

I was a professional house painter for many years in Australia having been raised in the trade as a kid by my dad who had been a painter since the the early 1950's in the UK and Australia.

Using lead based paint (when it was still legal in the not so paranoid and socially do-gooding 60's) and then stripping it back by means of sanding scraping burning etc never gave any adverse effects to anyone I knew or ever worked with.

Then the Aussie govt in the late 80's and 90's issued very strict Lead Paint Removal policy procedures that as a professional painter you had to adhere to or lose your license. It was ridiculous. Full protective gear and face masks as though you were working in a nuclear plant (all disposable gear that wasn't allowed to be reused) special vacuums to suck up the dust. Complete plastic sheeting to areas where work was being carried out. Warning signs and special dumping procedures! All of that and yet for years prior not one issue from any tradesman or houseowner that I ever knew or worked with.

In the end it just wasn't worth dealing with any lead based paint jobs. We mostly just pleaded ignorance and treated all jobs the same as any other repaint job. If the owner was a fuddy duddy or PC advocate that drew our attention to brochures regarding lead paint removal we simply avoided the job like the plague.

Like most things that governments get involved in, it was a storm in a teacup and designed to justify the positions of civil servants and social do-gooders that couldn't otherwise get a job in pink fit!

There is scientific evidence to support children who grew up with lead paint in the playgrounds grew up to be grumpy and sarcastic.

Excellent post - can you recommend a cure? biggrin.png

Totally agreed,... solid points and very relevant!

I was a professional house painter for many years in Australia having been raised in the trade as a kid by my dad who had been a painter since the the early 1950's in the UK and Australia.

Using lead based paint (when it was still legal in the not so paranoid and socially do-gooding 60's) and then stripping it back by means of sanding scraping burning etc never gave any adverse effects to anyone I knew or ever worked with.

Then the Aussie govt in the late 80's and 90's issued very strict Lead Paint Removal policy procedures that as a professional painter you had to adhere to or lose your license. It was ridiculous. Full protective gear and face masks as though you were working in a nuclear plant (all disposable gear that wasn't allowed to be reused) special vacuums to suck up the dust. Complete plastic sheeting to areas where work was being carried out. Warning signs and special dumping procedures! All of that and yet for years prior not one issue from any tradesman or houseowner that I ever knew or worked with.

In the end it just wasn't worth dealing with any lead based paint jobs. We mostly just pleaded ignorance and treated all jobs the same as any other repaint job. If the owner was a fuddy duddy or PC advocate that drew our attention to brochures regarding lead paint removal we simply avoided the job like the plague.

Like most things that governments get involved in, it was a storm in a teacup and designed to justify the positions of civil servants and social do-gooders that couldn't otherwise get a job in pink fit!

I also painted many houses and had a business in just that which is why I made the point. I did not hang around long enough to be legislated out of the industry, that simply happened in another.