Urgent Advice Sought On 2Nd Hand Car

tonika

I am hopeless regarding cars, and could do with advice on the following. My wife would like me to buy a Honda CR-V. When checking the official Honda website the ' standard model ' is just within my budget, and looks very attractive. But we saw on the webpage Honda have 2nd hand cars that they certify. I was wondering if it's worth it ?. The model advertised is a 2008 CR-V 2.4 i-VTEC AT 4WD, price B 1,150,000 ( look's like new in the advert photo ) . The cost new ( 2012 ) on their websie is B 1,524, 000. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest either finding the extra 400,000 to get a new one against a soon to be 5 year old model if a Honda is what you want or look to get a new car that is in the 1.150,000 Baht range. With new you get the full warranty and you know the cars history 100%. Just my 2 Satangs worth thumbsup.gif

If it's a certified car from Honda I don't really see any problems, certified properly means that the car have a full service history from Honda. As long as the km's is not too high why not.

I bought a non certified Honda City 2006 topmodel 3 years ago and never had any problems with it and before I bought it I asked the seller (small used car shop) if we can go to Honda and get/check the service history and they said no problem and the service history was good and made me believe on the odometer reading.

A friend of mine have a 2003 Honda CRV he also bought used and he is very happy with the car but are now considering buying a new as the age starts to show and he wants a CRV again despite me telling him to buy a nice looking car insteadbiggrin.png .

Honda is of my opinion very robust cars.

• Like 1

I'm not doubting that a certified car from Honda isn't a good car but for me personally I would always opt for the new car over a second hand one even at the cost of a few extras etc. Once you get to the 5 year mark that is when things start to need replacing.

Would I have a 5 year old Honda or a brand new Ranger top of the range 4 door 6 speed automatic and still have change to bling it up a little ? wink.png

But that is just me. Each to their own biggrin.png

I'm not doubting that a certified car from Honda isn't a good car but for me personally I would always opt for the new car over a second hand one even at the cost of a few extras etc. Once you get to the 5 year mark that is when things start to need replacing.

Would I have a 5 year old Honda or a brand new Ranger top of the range 4 door 6 speed automatic and still have change to bling it up a little ? wink.png

But that is just me. Each to their own biggrin.png

Sure I get your point, one time my friend parked his CRV outside my house and I asked him why all the windows are rolled down and he told me that the AC Comp. had packed up big time and he need a new. That was something like 28K bath at a non Honda workshop, he-he, he was not very happy that day.

I have myself ordered a 2.2L Ford Ranger WT, I don't fell that safe in my tin can City and the Ranger looks sexy as hellthumbsup.gif

OP, if the certified S/H Hondas come with a warranty, then you should be fine.

You also need to factor in, how long you expect to own the car to determine what age you

should consider buying, and whether you will be a high or low mileage driver.

I had a test drive in one last month. Very nice. the 6 speed auto box is a delight and the motor for all it is only 2.2 is gutsy enough for what I want it to do. My next car / truck is going to be a Ranger.

Just got to persuade the Thai, Vigo loving wife now whistling.gif

...so,who is paying for it?...you,or your wife?smile.png ...my wife is very happy with 'our' new Ranger,but still hasn't driven it yet...maybe a little afraid of it's size,but that suits me well...still no dings tongue.png

1.15M is a bit high for an 08 CR-V 2.4L. I suppose it depends how much you value the Honda certification.

A 4 year old CR-V should be fine especially if the certification means it has good service history and no obvious faults, but it is still a 4 year old car. The warranty probably will not be much and the little irritating things that break on cars as they age will happen.

If the OP is "hopeless" with cars, a new car complete with warranty has some advantages. Especially considering used cars are over priced in Thailand anyway. For similar money to the 4 year old CR-V, the OP could get:

- New 2WD PJS as suggested above. Bigger and better on fuel but not so good for city driving and parking.

- New 2WD Trailbazer.

- New Ford Escape, Suzuki Vitara or Nissan X-Trail. New and similar to the CR-V but less fashionable.

1.15M is a bit high for an 08 CR-V 2.4L. I suppose it depends how much you value the Honda certification.

A 4 year old CR-V should be fine especially if the certification means it has good service history and no obvious faults, but it is still a 4 year old car. The warranty probably will not be much and the little irritating things that break on cars as they age will happen.

If the OP is "hopeless" with cars, a new car complete with warranty has some advantages. Especially considering used cars are over priced in Thailand anyway. For similar money to the 4 year old CR-V, the OP could get:

- New 2WD PJS as suggested above. Bigger and better on fuel but not so good for city driving and parking.

- New 2WD Trailbazer.

- New Ford Escape, Suzuki Vitara or Nissan X-Trail. New and similar to the CR-V but less fashionable.

One more vote for the PJS, as mentioned. City driving and parking just takes some getting used to and some flexibility. Between a second-hand CRV and a new PJS, I think there should be no hesitation: 3 yrs warranty vs 6 months at best, free services, peace of mind, goodies, etc.

A friend of mine (Thai!) sat in the new CRV, and her verdict is without appeal: "so poor quality of interior".