Dogs & Cats

seajae

Starting to get a bit pissed at the damage being done to my garden by these animals. Had vegies growing nicely until something started pissing on them, there are dog and cat prints all around the garden so I know both are getting in there and have chased them both out a few times(several different dos and cats). Trouble is they keep coming back of a night when I am not at the land(I lease it) and digging holes, pissing on the plants and killing them. No one here gives a dam_n about their animals so they dont want to know but after losing nearly all my good growing vegetables and with the prospect of losing some of my freshly planted frangipani trees/seedlings I am at an end and need to do something drastic to stop them. I am seriously looking at poison as the there is a lot of money tied up in what I have planted so far but do not know where I stand if I do it, the land is fenced but that doesnt stop them, I am open to anyones ideas/suggestions if they will help me to stop it.

Dennis

People have been fencing their gardens in for many hundreds of years for this very reason. Something wrong with your fence that can be cured with barbed wire I think. Poison? You might find yourself being poisoned back.

• Like 1

I feel for you Seajae, had it happen so many times.

It is soul destroying to work hard only to have it all totally destroyed by somebody else's dogs, cats, chickens, ducks or cows.

I'm sure that is the reason that so many people do not grow veggies as even the blue mesh netting is relatively expensive for many.

People have been fencing their gardens in for many hundreds of years for this very reason. Something wrong with your fence that can be cured with barbed wire I think. Poison? You might find yourself being poisoned back.

It was actually the lady that leased the land to me that suggested poison, fence is barbed wire with shade cloth, bastards still get in, they dig under it.

Dennis

I feel for you Seajae, had it happen so many times.

It is soul destroying to work hard only to have it all totally destroyed by somebody else's dogs, cats, chickens, ducks or cows.

I'm sure that is the reason that so many people do not grow veggies as even the blue mesh netting is relatively expensive for many.

Mate, thats it, I was pretty happy with the way everything was growing until the buggers started invading it, will have to work something out. I went with barbed wire and shade cloth because it was a fraction of the cost of wire mesh, would have sent me broke.

Dennis

It was actually the lady that leased the land to me that suggested poison, fence is barbed wire with shade cloth, bastards still get in, they dig under it.

Dennis

I keep meaning to plant all round the border of my kitchen garden with galangal. It's fast growing and quite dense, actually makes a pretty good fence when about a foot thick. Only done a bit so far, but the family and others keep nicking it for soups and lahp.

You might consider a living fence as the dogs will not find it easy to dig through the roots.

as I mentioned in another thread, I have made cuttings of Bougainvillea. This is an impossible to penetrate hedge although I will have to get it cut 3-4 times a year. Until then... barbed wire.

Edited by cooked

There is a reason the police use pepper spray. Dogs do not like the smell one bit. Try getting some cheap pepper from Macro and a jug of vinegar mix it up and spray (hand pump and bucket) around the bottom of the shade cloth fence. Take care as the vinegar will not help anything growing nearby.

If that doesn't work, villagers here plant their chili crops and their dog baits at the same time. No-one says anything, no-one sees anything and no-one listens to the complaints because all the roaming dogs are gone at the same time. I wouldn't do it but can understand why others do. I lost about ten piglets to a dog pack and was told by the Poo Yai that if I saw the dog/dogs in the act I was entitled to kill them. Sure, farang and his money tree, same, same, yeah right. Try the ounce of prevention first.

Edited by IsaanAussie

Cats are great. Don't eat veggies, just your rats. thumbsup.gif ............smile.png

yes they do but the males back up and mark everything and kill it in the process, cat piss is worse than dogs. Besides I have snakes for the rats and mice, thats if cobras eat them.

Dennis

There is a reason the police use pepper spray. Dogs do not like the smell one bit. Try getting some cheap pepper from Macro and a jug of vinegar mix it up and spray (hand pump and bucket) around the bottom of the shade cloth fence. Take care as the vinegar will not help anything growing nearby.

If that doesn't work, villagers here plant their chili crops and their dog baits at the same time. No-one says anything, no-one sees anything and no-one listens to the complaints because all the roaming dogs are gone at the same time. I wouldn't do it but can understand why others do. I lost about ten piglets to a dog pack and was told by the Poo Yai that if I saw the dog/dogs in the act I was entitled to kill them. Sure, farang and his money tree, same, same, yeah right. Try the ounce of prevention first.

Actually I was thinking I might go to Macro and get some cayenne pepper if they have it bulk, dont really like the idea of killing animals, cayenne will certainly bugger up their senses and hopefully keep them away.

i lost 2 gease to a dog that was the MIL she told me to poisen it,and i love dogs, BUT when its part of your living im afraid it has to be done,

i think thai people think about there dogs in a different way as westeners,

my wifes freind who has been good to me, giving me many banana plants, she comes to our house to yak with the wife on her motorbike, with the dog running behind her, i told her please dont bring your dog,

then as you would gues the dog started coming alone and chasing my chickens, so i told her it will have to stop,

again she said poisen it,

i couldnt believe it,

i think the thing is, if you can prove whos dog it is you can claim of the owners, so i think they think its best if it gets poisend,

like i say i love dogs and care for ours good, but when its your living decitions have to be make im affraid,

good luck anyway mate, keep your chin up

jake

i lost 2 gease to a dog that was the MIL she told me to poisen it,and i love dogs, BUT when its part of your living im afraid it has to be done,

my wifes freind who has been good to me, giving me many banana plants, she comes to our house to yak with the wife on her motorbike, with the dog running behind her, i told her please dont bring your dog,

then as you would gues the dog started coming alone and chasing my chickens, so i told her it will have to stop,

i couldnt believe it,

i think the thing is, if you can prove whos dog it is you can claim of the owners, so i think they think its best if it gets poisend,

like i say i love dogs and care for ours good, but when its your living decitions have to be make im affraid,

jake

i couldnt believe it,

jake

Hi Jake, thanks mate, will keep that in mind but will try the deterent first, dont really want to kill anything unless it is totally necessary.

Cheers

Dennis

I have spent a small fortune on my collection of frangipani/plumeria plants, I have around 200 plus new seedlings, I have developed some of them in Australia before bringing them here to use in cross breeding to develop a lot of new, unique colours. If I lose any of these ones to animals it becomes a problem as they are unique in the world and are not replaceable. The vegies are for the family so it just pisses me off when someone elses animals kill them but the frangipani will be what allows me to live here as they will be earning me an income. If any of them start to look like they are dying I will not hesitate to kill any animal I find inside my fenced area but to start with I will be trying the pepper & vinegar spray, just hope it works.

Dennis

the poisen you use is bought from most feed stores and some general stores in the village,

odorless blue in colour, and you just mix a spoolfull with some rice, the dont get 2mts away from were they ate it,

thats the best stuff,

jake

Thanks Billybob and Jake, that gives me another 2 options. Trying the pepper and vinegar thing at the moment, will see how it goes before I step it up, will be back in Oz for a week from tomorrow so it will have to be when I get back.

Dennis

We have a single strand of electric fence about twenty cm from the ground,we hear it every time a dog runs into it,they never come back!

We also have a problem with monkeys and they are a real nuisance,people keep feeding them and they are not afraid of people anymore but we have a dog they do respect.

We have a single strand of electric fence about twenty cm from the ground,we hear it every time a dog runs into it,they never come back!

We also have a problem with monkeys and they are a real nuisance,people keep feeding them and they are not afraid of people anymore but we have a dog they do respect.

hahahahaha, like the idea of the electric fence but my block is in the middle of a housing estate and I do not want to hurt any of the kids that play in the street, bloody good idea though.

Dennis

I would retaliate--with extreme prejudice-- if I discovered anyone had poisoned (or attempted to) my pets. There could very well be residents in your 'hood that feel the same. And they will know exactly who did it. Why take the risk?

Most hardware stores have (or will order) wire mesh fence that has exposed tines that are stuck into the soil for stability. A 25 x 2.5 meter roll costs 1625 baht and a 50 meter roll about twice that. A 3" strip of concrete sunk a few inches into the ground will anchor the open bottom ends and prevents animals from burrowing under...

post-74977-0-26923900-1351128019_thumb.j

Chickens can be divided into two sizes, small ones go through the mesh, and big ones fly over it. Perhaps a biosphere would keep the roaming animals out and that would only cost a few measly million baht!

The law here states that you are entitled to deal with destructive animals on your land as you see fit. The difference is I take responsibility for my animals, I feed them so they do not have to roam around for food and train them to behave.

To me making everyone around your house protect their gardens and animals from your dogs, cats, and chickens is a nonsense. If you have such animals the responsibility to confine their movements is on the owner.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 2

yeah, real tough guy we have on our hands. Put a fence around it instead of killing hapless dogs that strayed in because you didn't put up fence. I will be planting a Bougainvillea hedge, nothing will get through that.

yeah, real tough guy we have on our hands. Put a fence around it instead of killing hapless dogs that strayed in because you didn't put up fence. I will be planting a Bougainvillea hedge, nothing will get through that.

Great idea, I have a fence structure to support the same thing. Perhaps you can help with the one detail I cannot figure out, how do you open the hedge to get the car inside? Got me completely stuffed!!