Here We Go Again...choices...manual 1St Car For Son? Under 700K!

frankphuket

To be honest, I think Automatic transmissions are the way of the future.

No idea about what is on the [new drivers] driver licence here re Manual v auto........... in UK if you took your test in an Auto then you cannot drive a manual, know a few people that have great problems going on holiday and renting a car.........

Would make sense for a youngster to have experience of driving with a clutch as well as Auto, they may well end up later living somewhere where Automatics are few.

I think in Thailand they don't differentiate between auto / manual. I've been in a car with someone who hadn't obviously driven a manual and it was scary!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I think Automatic transmissions are the way of the future.

No idea about what is on the [new drivers] driver licence here re Manual v auto........... in UK if you took your test in an Auto then you cannot drive a manual, know a few people that have great problems going on holiday and renting a car.........

Would make sense for a youngster to have experience of driving with a clutch as well as Auto, they may well end up later living somewhere where Automatics are few.

I think in Thailand they don't differentiate between auto / manual. I've been in a car with someone who hadn't obviously driven a manual and it was scary!

What's a manual is it something you have to read before changing gears? if so better to go auto.

#12 re- 'Yes okay you have all the pitfalls when buying 2nd hand but carefully checking around and try to buy one with full service history should do it. '

buy one with full service history - hellooo, in Thailand, NOT.

2nd Hand...DO NOT EVER EVER GO THERE! Even if some soft-spoken, greasy farang is talkin' you up. Take a waltz around the local wreckers' yards, where even the most twister, sister, is sold as new in a few weeks time.

Buy n-e-w, if not for practicality's sake; for that of your son.

Guess most will remember the vinyl car roof covering ?

Yesterday was a White Nissan Almera [new one] with a brown vinyl car roof covering, must say it did look very smart, and made the car look something very different..

No idea in 2012 if a teenager would like it, but looked so very good and different