Whats The Deal With Walen?

DonW

I've been looking at this website and a few points need clarifcation.

Firstly, the whole website appears to be built around getting Non Imm Ed visas - the FAQ section is made up mainly of this.

Secondly, all the teachers are very very young, all unmarried and don't look old enough to be any other than new grads

Thirdly, What on earth is the 'Walen method' its certainly nothing my bro has heard about and he has a BEd PGCE and an MA and is a teacher. Perhaps they use there own method to void having to use expereinced qualificed teachers educated to BEd standard?

Finally, there doesn't seem to be anything positive comments on the Thailand EFL teachers' site about them (I cannot provide the link)

Is this simply a school not realy for serious students of Thai? Is Pro-language or Chula more suitable for someone wanting to be taught by an expereinced and qualified teacher?

Cheers

Edited by DonW
  • Like 1

It is a popular school. The reason the visa is so mentioned is because it is an important part of deciding to learn a new language. That takes time and having or being able to obtain a visa is important. They offer a free lesson I believe so instead of trying to run the school down go and try their method then come back when you can talk with some experience ?

And for me I would much rather learn from a fresh out of school teacher who is eager and keen rather than an old hand simply doing it for the money thumbsup.gif

Walen is still recommended if you primarily want to read/write,

there are those who actually have no interest in speaking thai,

yet still want to read/write.

As for the idea that a rookie would be more capable in any way than an

experienced teacher, -where's that :rolleyes: smiley when you need it.

Yes, i didn't want to reply since it looked like bashing thread,

but experience & competence of the teacher is worthy a discussion,

i've tried both variants, nuff said.

Actually nuff isn't said: Why is it that the teachers here in general is so

far and away below the standard in west ?

Actually nuff isn't said: Why is it that the teachers here in general is so

far and away below the standard in west ?

I think it's primarily a 'face' problem.

As a teacher you get a higher social status, and therefore can never be corrected, so never learn to teach. Also the employer can never admit to the mistake of employing an incompetent teacher, so the teacher will never have to be competent once employed.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The place is set up to get a 12 month ed visa for young guys,nothing more nothing less.Most dont go or cant speak hardly any thai,Immigrations have caught on to this scam now,so beware

Beware of what?

I'm sure all the 'requirements' for immigration have been 'finely tuned' or it would have ceased by now.

Immigration and Dptmt of Ed are probably aware of the potential for abuse of Ed Visas - but do not appear to be concerned about it.

In a recent instance an individual at the "School" was informed he will no longer be able to get an Ed visa for Thai after 4 years - so he (non-native English speaker) changed to study English - at the same "School".

Edited by Parvis

@Parvis:

The reason i said 'is still recommended' instead of 'I recommend'

is that i have no personal experience with Walen specifically,

but i've been told that Walen primarily focus on read-write/avoid speaking speaking form,

and so by logic should lend itself to be more focused on read/write.

I appreciate your input tho, and will take it into account if/when commenting on Walen,

actually i was hesitant to join this thread in the first instance.