Bodywork Question

Blake7

Mt errant 3 year old son threw a toy metal car out of the window of his friends 12th floor apartment which landed on the bonnet of a car below.

It chipped off some of the paint work (about 7 mm by 2 mm) but as far as I can see did not dent the bonnet at all.

Obviously I am happy to pay to have the damage repaired but the driver of the car (not the owner I hasten to add) claims that the car needs a whole new bonnet. I disputed this and we went to a nearby garage together and the garage owner quickly agreed. I may be overly suspicious but I have a feeling that these two are in cohoots together. They want 2,800 baht for a new bonnet.

Firstly is it possible to paint over the scratch? I would have thought so but have no real experience in this. At the end of the day I will pay but I just don't want to be taken for a ride....

Does it include patching up the toy car your kid threw out the window? :o

They're obviously not going to replace the bonnet.. Are you sure you're understanding things correctly?

Anyway, sounds to me like your son will be around 16 or so before he's paid this off and can start receiving pocket money again. :D

Mt errant 3 year old son threw a toy metal car out of the window of his friends 12th floor apartment which landed on the bonnet of a car below.

May we presume your child is farang? A Thai would have fled the scene...

It the toy car is farang as well just get the police involved and they'll rule it a suicide...

It the toy car is farang as well just get the police involved and they'll rule it a suicide...

yes, he's farang.

They say they want to replac ethe bonnet - this is my point - is it really necessary for a little nick? I guess they can repaint it? It is metallic by the way and they want 2,800 baht total. Seems to me too cheap for a new bonnet and too much for a paint job.

yes, he's farang.

They say they want to replac ethe bonnet - this is my point - is it really necessary for a little nick? I guess they can repaint it? It is metallic by the way and they want 2,800 baht total. Seems to me too cheap for a new bonnet and too much for a paint job.

If that is the case, give him the money and take the bonnet away.....see what he does then. :o

find another sprayshop and get another quote.

if there is no dent in the metalwork , then a re spray is all that is needed.

if there is a small dent , then it can be banged out and made good with filler before re spraying.

what make and year of car is it ?

I have to agree that 2800 for a bonnet is cheap. The paint job though is close. Had a motorbike ram into the back end of my car and he put a big dent in the bumper. The bumber is all one piece flexible plastic and didn't fracture but lots of paint chips. Took it in to a shop and they removed the bumper, heated it to pop it back out and re-painted it (metallic paint at that). 2000 baht and it looks like it came off the factory floor.

Wonder if you are misunderstanding them and he is adding time loss without the car (common with claims) while being painted?

I have to agree that 2800 for a bonnet is cheap. The paint job though is close. Had a motorbike ram into the back end of my car and he put a big dent in the bumper. The bumber is all one piece flexible plastic and didn't fracture but lots of paint chips. Took it in to a shop and they removed the bumper, heated it to pop it back out and re-painted it (metallic paint at that). 2000 baht and it looks like it came off the factory floor.

Wonder if you are misunderstanding them and he is adding time loss without the car (common with claims) while being painted?

It is only a tiny scratch - nothing like the dent it sounds liek you had.

I am not sure what to do as I don't really want some huge confrontation nor can I be arsed with going round to different garages with him. I would just hand over the money except that I hate to think I am being screwed. I like the idea of asking for the bonnet but in reality - I would have to carry it home etc

am not sure what to do as I don't really want some huge confrontation nor can I be arsed with going round to different garages with him. I would just hand over the money except that I hate to think I am being screwed. I like the idea of asking for the bonnet but in reality - I would have to carry it home etc

it sounds like you are taking the easy way out and are just going to hand over the cash as asked.

thereby showing both the garage owner and the car owner how easy it is getting money from out of a foriegner.

yes , you should pay for the damage , but you should only pay a fair price and nothing more.

dont be so soft man ! :o

If they try and touch up the scratch it will be noticible and so a complete respray off the hood would be the fair thing to do.

2800 B sounds reasonable to me, I paid 4000 to have my door resprayed after some a hole scrathed it while parking. Actually it sounds like I was ripped off!

I would just give him the money and be done with it, you may find a cheaper quote but the quality of the job may be less, again not really fair to the guy.

It's never easy in these situations.

Get another quote, just ask in any garage how much it would take to re-spray the bonnet. Ask at your regular service center, they might have bodyworks garage, and it might be more expensive than your friendly neibourhood shops so don't pay more than they quote.

Or, to make it really simple, you should try to bargain with the garage, not the car owner/driver. Get any discount from those 2800 and that's it.