Our Kids' I Q Is Down? It's The Education, Stupid!: Thai Talk

webfact

THAI TALK

Our kids' IQ is down? It's the education, stupid!

Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

30192551-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai kids' IQ and EQ haven't improved in the past 10 years. Our children aged six to 15 are lagging far behind their counterparts in Singapore and Malaysia. Bhutan, which is economically behind Thailand, has placed more emphasis on improving its children's IQ than we have.

Those are some of the disturbing findings of a recent study cited by the Senate's Health Subcommittee. Its chairman, Surin Senator Dr Anant Ariyachaiyanich, said that, if the trend continues, today's children won't grow up to be intellectually and emotionally competent enough to compete with others on the regional, not to mention international, stage.

The study, conducted by the Health Ministry's Mental Health Department, found children in 20 provinces averaged an IQ of 100 or above, but in 38 other provinces the average fell below the 100 threshold.

The initial conclusion is that the factor contributing to lower IQ is diet. The survey found that children fed with their mother's milk for six months had higher IQs than those breastfed for only three months. Other factors include consumption of iodine and iron.

What was left without so much of a mention was the effect of social environment and parents' core values. Most important, perhaps, is the hopeless state of the country's education system.

The diet issue can be resolved with a clear-cut policy on nutrition, with budget allocations based on scientific studies. Populist policies have diverted considerable amounts of money to various grass-roots political organs. Now is the time to feed our children to make sure they grow up as healthy citizens.

But the real challenge lies in revamping the country's education system so that the IQ and EQ ratings of our next generation of citizens become much more competitive than is the case now.

The past 10 years have seen great improvement in our dietary provisions. If, therefore, studies find that Thai kids' IQ and EQ scores have failed to rise with the passage of time, diet certainly isn't the main issue anymore. Education is the weakest link here.

No government in the past few decades has managed to lift the country's education standards in a meaningful way, despite fervent election pledges. Most of the budget for this ministry has gone toward administration costs and wages, leaving little for real improvement of standards of teachers in all fields.

A large number of teachers are either unqualified or heavily in debt. The teaching profession, once held in great esteem, has eroded to the point that teachers no longer command the kind of respect previously shown by students and parents alike.

What's worse, politicians have exploited the limited budget allocations for the country's educational activities for their own ends. Good, qualified bureaucrats are sidelined, while those ready to serve their political bosses take charge of the most important roles in the education system.

As a result, students don't get the kind of quality schooling that makes them inquisitive, imaginative and ethical. When teachers discourage our kids from asking questions, young minds aren't developed to boost the kind of IQ that is required in today's world. Science and mathematics have fallen by the wayside, and a good command of foreign languages has become the exception rather than the rule.

When IQ falls, it is inevitable that our children's EQ also suffers. Several surveys have found that a rising number of young people say they would "accept" corruption in higher places if they stood to benefit personally. In other words, the ethical standards of the new generation have fallen to an alarmingly low level.

The ultimate paradox is that the Senate committee - having expressed deep concern about the declining IQ and EQ scores - says its solution is to submit these findings to the full Senate and then to the Cabinet - for solutions.

My suspicion is that the higher up we go in this country, the lower the level of IQ and EQ we find. The failure of our education standards began decades ago. And that malaise begins at the top.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about this article, is he is insinuating that 40 years ago, things were oh, so much better.

Yeah all those older adults on every corner who can speak a second language....

"today's children won't grow up to be intellectually and emotionally competent enough to compete with others on the regional, not to mention international, stage."

The people running the country today certainly haven't, if Plodprasob is the apex of intellectual achievement here.

• Like 1

Guess what the education ministry's answer to this problem is:

More examinations, more OBEC, more pre-pre-pre-entrance exams in order to get accepted for the pre-pre-university entrance exam called F.A.C.E or whatever, in order to get accepted for the pre-OBEC Exam in order to get accepted for the OBEC EXAM, than another entrance exam called "WHATSOEVER-SUPER-OBEC-University entrance exam, more and more and more and more and more and more EXAMS …

… which serves only one purpose to exploit more money out of the poor nations desperate families in the forms of "SO CALLED EDUCATIONAL FEES PLUS INTEREST" in order to fill the stomachs of the Thai educational ministry people who created that problem in the first place.

NO CHILD ON EARTH IS STUPID, but the educational institute is trying to instill examination in order to demonstrate intelligence!!!!!

To hell with academics!!!!

A systematic erosion at all levels for too many years has now come back to haunt the country.

Positions of power have been given to friends & those who can buy them, not awarded to those who can actually do the job.

As I have said before children learn in 3 main ways:

1) From education

2) From peers

3) From example

Unfortunately today's children are let down on all points.

The education system has been eroded to a point it is ineffective to teach the children the knowledge it needs for today's changing societies.

Peers or parents are to busy earning their Bt300 a day pittance to help their children who are now "latch door kids"

Examples from politicians or elders are that it's not what you know it's who you know that will get you ahead in life, so who needs an education !!

• Like 2

It's the school holidays, so, as usual this morning, when the sky train stopped at Phaya Thai, scores of young people got off to attend the multistorey cram school located nearby.

It very likely that most of these childrens' parents are already paying for them to go to a private school with some kind of bilingual programme. These are not cheap.

The reason the children attend these schools is to get superior grade scores to increase their chances of eventual entry to a so-called prestigious university.

Why do parents pay for extra tuition if they are already paying for a supposedly superior education elsewhere?

The whole state of Thai education is rotton through and through and from top to bottom.

• Like 1

Since a few months, I give basic english lessons, to a small group of children. They are aged between 8 and 16, and only one can speak English a little bit. I don't know, what they doing in the school, but they not stupid. But the most have problems to concentrate, the girls are better then the boys.

That there is no money, for more teacher and there education too, is here terrible, the corruption in all areas is worse.

So, I must say, that the Administration, what colour ever, is not interested to change this. The people match perfect with the system.

And I miss curiosity by the children, but I think, it is the worldwide culture of hard core capitalism. bah.gif No ideals, no culture, no lifestyle, only money, sad generation.

• Like 1

'A large number of teachers are either unqualified or heavily in debt.'

I agree to the fact that a large number of teachers has inadequate qualification. The others (that would be the qualified ones, right?) are heavily in dept. Doesn't make sense.

Question: How do you call a Thai with an IQ of 70?

Answer: Professor...

As long as teachers and professors in Thailand get very low salaries, many good students will take the chance to work abroad or get a well-paid job in the industry. Seems that the ones who can not find a good job will become teachers and provide even less knowledge to the next generation.

"A large number of teachers are either unqualified or heavily in debt. The teaching profession, once held in great esteem, has eroded to the point that teachers no longer command the kind of respect previously shown by students and parents alike."

"But the real challenge lies in revamping the country's education system so that the IQ and EQ ratings of our next generation of citizens become much more competitive than is the case now."

"The past 10 years have seen great improvement in our dietary provisions. If, therefore, studies find that Thai kids' IQ and EQ scores have failed to rise with the passage of time, diet certainly isn't the main issue anymore. Education is the weakest link here."

Amen.......

Maybe someone could chime in on my thoughts.

I believe the blame may also lie culturally.

In the US we have a fairly decent public school (compared to thai) yet we have Hispanic kids that are literally should be dropped a grade or two below.

While we have the asian kids that should be placed a grade or two above their current grade level. Obviously there is more emphasis on the asian community than hispanic to excel academically.

Do we have they same thing going on here albeit the poor education. Would ramping up the education really make a big dent in term of personal intellect or society needs to be informed the importance of education?

Obviously there is some generalization to this but most would get my point.

Edited by tangcoral
  • Like 2

The problem is that in Thailand a testscore is propaganda-telling kids and parents "how intelligent or how stupid they are", so in other words, a child's or students' intelligence is based on a pure "testscore";

If the testscore is good, you are considered intelligent, and if the testscore is bad you are regarded as "stupid"

The bottomline of this Thai educational fiasco is that the questions that are mainly multiple choice have the most insolent questions that don't have any relevance on a child's emotional intelligence and relevance on what the job market is looking for.

The initial conclusion is that the factor contributing to lower IQ is diet. The survey found that children fed with their mother's milk for six months had higher IQs than those breastfed for only three months. Other factors include consumption of iodine and iron.

Ah yes, the diet excuse.

Perhaps the children breast fed for 6 months have a higher IQ because their parents, or at least the mother, have more time to spend with them, thus developing a stronger "EQ" on the child.

Reminds me of a conversation a friend overheard, on the taxi the driver was on the phone talking with his wife, he was upset their child failed some exam, he didn't understand how because they had been giving the kid that chicken extract drink that promotes itself as a genius elixir.

The development of intelligence requires an intellectually stimulating environment for the children, starting from their birth. No amount of chicken soup is going to compensate for that.

Indeed, chicken extract. About as useful as the bomb detectors.

To be perfectly frank, if the adults believe genuinely that the kids of today are "stupider" then they are, the adults need their heads read. We just saw that there is only one Thai university rated in the top 400 in the world, but can you imagine how much more knowledge a fresh university graduate in Thailand has than his boss who graduated 30 years ago? How good were Thai schools and unis 30 years ago?

As for doing basic testing of IQ, it is a very narrow test, and largely means nothing. I think I did one when I was 12 and can't even remember the score.

How many 'elite' Thai's are educated in Thailand? Certainly most if not all of the past 10 PM's have been educated outside Thailand, Thai's with money will almost definitely have their privileged children educated outside Thailand.

That in it's self say's it all!

The first thing they have to consider doing is (forget about the losing face thing) recruit qualified teaching staff from abroad, even if it means having a dedicated translator to give lessons.

Basic mental math is nonexistent as is basic geography, if there are concerns over dietary issues simply Google Jamie Oliver who has in some London boroughs revolutionized school meals.smile.png

• Like 1

It's not like that kids are stupid, it's because education makes them think they are stupid just because of some irrevelant "letters called A,B,C,D and F" which are disguised as "testscores"

You would suggest . . . what . . . to determine whether a child has gained knowledge?

My youngest one is in her last year of Montessori before going to Int'l school and her report card has gradings of understanding and achievement - what is wrong with that?

My eldest is in an Int'l school and has two years to go before entering Uni and is graded - this is an indicator of what she qualifies to study for in the tertiary world.

My MBA was pass or fail

My wife's PhD is pass or fail

At work we are graded according to our performance

I can't really see an alternative - do you know of one?

Edited by Sing_Sling

How many 'elite' Thai's are educated in Thailand? Certainly most if not all of the past 10 PM's have been educated outside Thailand, Thai's with money will almost definitely have their privileged children educated outside Thailand.

That in it's self say's it all!

The first thing they have to consider doing is (forget about the losing face thing) recruit qualified teaching staff from abroad, even if it means having a dedicated translator to give lessons.

Basic mental math is nonexistent as is basic geography, if there are concerns over dietary issues simply Google Jamie Oliver who has in some London boroughs revolutionized school meals.smile.png

The system is designed that way. An ability with numbers is essential for everyday life and we dont teach geography because other countries dont exist. A designed inward looking nation. You forgot history. Ask kids about Thailands inglorious World War 2 history. When the amart allowed The Japs to walk thru Thailand rape and pillaging the poor, to build a railway, as long as they did not touch the wealth of the rich. Not one inch of our soil will we surrender to the foreigner (rough translation) .... but they did 70 years ago. The same amart, more a less that runs the country today

Edited by backtonormal
  • Like 2

UNICEF does a global survey every five years on child intelligence and Thai kids have been falling in IQ levels for the past three of those surveys. Thaksin announced after the 2005 survey results that he was going to increase the IQ of Thai kids by "10 per cent." Yeah. Thai figures from various surveys show that 25 per cent of kids actually come in below the WHO standard of 90 to 110. Iodine deficiency is seen as a key contributor and there is no debate on the poor quality of education - was it last year's survey, (or perhaps the year before) where the majority of Thai science and maths teachers failed an exam in their own subjects! I have a teacher friend who has taught in many south east Asian countries and taught at ABAC in Bangkok for many years. He seemed well positioned to sum it up after teaching students from neighbouring countries. "Thais kids just aren't as interested." In other words - education and learning is "mai sanook."

• Like 1