Cellular Connection For Ipad On The Islands

finy

I was wondering if anyone on Koh Phangan uses an iPad with cellular connection?

I kind of need to be online 24/7 for work. I don't need a strong connection. I just need to upload simple txt files for work and answer emails.

I'd love if there was a semi-decent 3g connection for when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

Thanks

khman, here's a list of some of the packages offered by truemove

TrueMove-H-Free-your-life-with-the-new-3G+-wireless-networks-supporting-up-to-42-Mbps.-1.jpg

I use the 350 plan for a backup in case of power or ADSL outages. If you want unlimited you'd have to go for the 759 plan, which would shaped to 256/384 after 3GB of downloads per month.

The good thing about these 3g packages is that the 650 and up plans give you unlimited access to True Wifi as well, which is a truly unlimited and very fast service. They have hotspots all over Samui, not so sure about Ko Phangan.

Edited by ydraw

Thanks ydraw, I will consider.

I have many questions... I will only ask some.

Is there a commitment or I can stop when I want? (or load only when I need)

Should I buy the usb key at the True shop or anywhere?

Is it possible to put the simcard in kind of router that will broadcast the signal to all my wifi devices?

Any equivalent offer from TOT, AIS, ..?

Thanks!

Thanks ydraw, I will consider.

I have many questions... I will only ask some.

Is there a commitment or I can stop when I want? (or load only when I need)

Should I buy the usb key at the True shop or anywhere?

Is it possible to put the simcard in kind of router that will broadcast the signal to all my wifi devices?

Any equivalent offer from TOT, AIS, ..?

Thanks!

1. The prices I posted above are for prepaid deals, so you just buy them every month or as needed. True do also offer ongoing contracts which might offer a slight discount. You can buy the credits to top up with at Family Mart, not sure about 7-11.

2. I bought the USB at the true shop in Tesco Lotus Chaweng. A different dongle will still work, but you would have to find and install the Truemove software to get it working, and I don't know where you would find that. The truemove dongle installs the software automatically the first time you stick it in your USB port. The dongle cost around 2000 baht. If you are only planning to use it in a mobile device you don't need the dongle, you can just purchase the SIM for 120 baht.

3. Yes, and true also sell those devices, but whether or not they have any in stock when you go there is a different story.

4. I think all companies offer their own versions, but I do not know the details, you would have to take a look at the AIS or TOT website. "motocrosser" said above that he uses AIS 3g, maybe he can help with that.

Edited by ydraw
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Didnt want to start a new thread and there seems to be some very knowledgeable people here so...

I need a fast USB dongle for my Mac while staying on Koh Phangan.

I've seen this which seems like it should give a good speed in theory:

"True - SharedWiFi21Mpbs"

Does anyone know if it will work on Koh Phangan? I'll be at The Sanctuary, past Haad Rin.

I read that it is available at the Tesco Chawang, but I was planning in flying in and taking a boat to Koh Phangan. Any idea if available around Big Buddha or in Haad Rin?

Appreciate any guidance possible. If there are other companies which will have better coverage in Koh Phangan, please let me know.

Thank you !